Miami, Florida

Advertising Going Green

I am posting this strictly from an advertising point of view. Does "Going Green" actually increase sales?

We have been doing a tech overhaul over the past few weeks and have cut our power use by close to 50%. Enviromentally that is a great feat, but will my customers care?

Keith I Myers The rantings of a lunatic
    Geek Survival Guide - Reviews and Advice for Geeks

Power your office and servers off renewable power and then you get a green badge. That's the hard way to go about going green. Lowering your power usage is also great.

Or you can do what all the other hosts do and buy carbon credits or pay some company to plant trees, and then crow about that, waving your green flag because according to your marketing department, you're now a "carbon neutral host". Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

That's like asking if a sale pages works for everyone.

I'm willing to bet such slogan or pitch will work on some people, while others could care less.
    Just like any sales letter - it might work on some, might not work on others.

On the other side of things, I don't think anyone is going to be offended if you say 'Going Green'.

While I personally could care less about whether or not my datacenter is 'green', it certainly can't hurt to advertise it on your website. After all, some people love that kind of stuff.
    Download my eBook + Videos: Starting your own successful web hosting company.
    Learn from a web host with 7 years of experience.

I don't think it will make business go up dramatically but it may help if the client can't choose between two plans with different hosts.

I wouldn’t base your entire advertising and marketing on it though!

I think it is a good idea anyway, to give back to our planet from which we have taken so much!
    Hydro Host Affordable UK Web Hosting - cPanel
    Shared Hosting Reseller Hosting Domain Name Registration - Affiliate Program

World Wide Web
    Well, I dont think that advertising going green would result in increase in sales numbers or conversions however I think this can be used as a wonderful addon in terms of branding your company. I guess it also would depend on your prices, if there is an increase in prices after going green. Its a wonderful concept and congratulations on your remarkable feat. - the name says it all!
    Managed Cloud Servers
    Server Management and Monitoring
    24x7 outsourced customer support

EU - east side
    Enviromentally that is a great feat, but will my customers care?
    I don't see how it can hurt to let it be known. This is however a one time effort, and 1-2 years from now, there will probably be hardware out there that is significantly more efficient. In other words, you may be greener (or more energy efficient) than a lot of hosts today, but it doesn't mean you'll be so 3-4 years from now. This hardware upgrade and drive for energy efficiency must become a continual policy if you are to make any "green" claims.

If you're not sure about the road ahead, just let your current customers know what you've currently achieved. Through you, they will feel better about themselves, and that's always a good thing.

Miami, Florida
    Thank you all for your remarks. I will place it on my site but not put any extreme amount of effort on promoting it.
    Keith I Myers The rantings of a lunatic
    Geek Survival Guide - Reviews and Advice for Geeks