diferences between raid6 and raid10

I don't really understand the diferences between raid6 and raid10. I know they are both a good technical choice but which one is the best and why ?

Historically RAID6 performs worse than RAID 10, assuming the same number of drives. Raid 6 is a fairly uncommon and untested raid configuartion.

Quote Originally Posted by johnch View Post
    Historically RAID6 performs worse than RAID 10, assuming the same number of drives. Raid 6 is a fairly uncommon and untested raid configuartion.
    you evidently have zero understanding of raid

Quote Originally Posted by bernard View Post
    I don't really understand the diferences between raid6 and raid10. I know they are both a good technical choice but which one is the best and why ?
    RAID 6 is a way to provide extra redundancy ... it safeguards data against the loss of two drives within a short-ish time interval, whereas RAID 5 and RAID 10 do not.

However ... what you should be doing is looking at all the potential causes of data loss, with the frequency of occurrence. And you should be protecting against the various causes in order of frequency of occurrence while taking into account cost.

So you look at RAID 6 *after* you have covered off the more common causes of data loss, unless choosing RAID 6 is so cheap (in terms of performace as well as cash) that it makes sense to use it even though you are still exposed to more common problems than loss of two drives within a short period.

RAID 10 is simply a combination of RAID 1 plus RAID 0, hence the name (RAID 1+0). You duplicate all the drives using RAID 1; and then you group a number of individual drives into a larger single RAID 0 "drive".

RAID10 can survive the failure of multiple drives, assuming they aren't the same set of mirrors.

Quote Originally Posted by bernard View Post
    RAID 6 is a set of striped hard drives, with two parity drives. This can survive up to two simultaneous drive feailures.

RAID 10 is, as others have said, RAID 1 + 0, a mirror of stripes. This can survive up to two simultaneous drive failures if they're not in the same set of mirrors.

Both levels require at least four hard drives. If you have four though, I usually recommend RAID 10 as writing to RAID 5 and 6 is slow, especially for small files.

Your best bet is to read Wikipedia.
    GigaTux, Value Linux Hosting
    UK, US and Germany based Xen VPS. Reliability is key! Quick support response and 99.9% SLA.

I think RAID 10 performs better as compared to RAID 5 or 6..
    Support Facility | 24/7 web hosting technical support services
    Technical support | Server management | Data migration

Technical Articles