shared hosting for storage?

I have a hosting account with Site5 but I have just found out that they don't allow the storage of personal files or backups. This is a very strange policy for me....

Are there any other reliable hosting companies without such policy?

I'd like to precise that I don't need advanced online backup solutions. I just need a place for the storage of personal files (images, mostly) which will be updated maybe once a year or so.

Any paid hosting providers can fit your needs fairly well. I'd also recommend keeping a backup on your local computer as well, or burn it onto a disk.

@johnch - Site5 is a paid hosting provider.

The problem is typically found is mass oversellers. You need to find a host that does not offer the world / oversell.

Search the Offers section and then find hosts you like and ask them if you can host backups and read their Terms of Service as well!

The majority of hosts do not allow the use of their space for file storage purposes - the files stored need to be directly related to the content of your site (ie - linked, on pages, etc).

Research/search for companies who specialize in back up storage on Google then search for reviews on them. I have never used any of these companies so I cannot comment on or recommend them. Do a search in this forum using 'backup' as a key word and you will come up with some options (if noone recommends any or provides any other viable advice in this thread).

Quote Originally Posted by johnch View Post
    Any paid hosting providers can fit your needs fairly well.
    Thanks for the response. But Site5 IS a paid hosting provider and as it turns out they don't allow this.

So you can confirm that this is not common for a hosting provider to have such policy? I have never had another hosting provider but Site5.

Quote Originally Posted by ougee View Post
    So you can confirm that this is not common for a hosting provider to have such policy?
    It is a very common policy.

Thanks for the response. But Site5 IS a paid hosting provider and as it turns out they don't allow this.

So you can confirm that this is not common for a hosting provider to have such policy? I have never had another hosting provider but Site5.
    It is very common for shared providers to have such a policy in place on shared accounts. Typically VPS or Dedicated will be your best bet. With the other option being a cloud storage of some sort.

In this case, I'd recommend checking out Amazon S3, I use it as a backup storage for one of my clients site. I'm currently using 60 Gigs of space without any problem.

I have used servage.net ..they allow it..

I'm sure there are lots of hosts that don't really care how you use the space as long as the content is legal. But, any host offering hundreds of GBs or unlimited space for a few dollars, will have multiple clauses aimed to reduce actual usage. Hosts that don't, are very likely to do so at some point in the future, as the number of "abusers" increases to unacceptable levels.

In both scenarios, the host aims to give you your ~$10 worth of service.

It depends on how much disk space you'll need to store your files. Perhaps a backup account is more viable at least the disk space allocated to you is more than likely available for full use.

In this case, I'd recommend checking out Amazon S3.
    Their services seem interesting, thanks for the suggesion. I only didn't understand if I can use FTP to upload the files? They're only speaking about the HTTP upload in the tutorials section.

I'm personally of the opinion if you buy diskspace, you can use it - it does baffle me why people stipulate it cannot be used for backups.

Quote Originally Posted by GeekSRV View Post
    I'm personally of the opinion if you buy diskspace, you can use it - it does baffle me why people stipulate it cannot be used for backups.
    Exactly! I was also very much surprised when I heard about this Site5 policy. Nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by db09 View Post
    It is a very common policy.
    Indeed it is and it's enforced more stringently with hosts that offer larger than normal amounts of disk storage.

In this case, I'd recommend checking out Amazon S3, I use it as a backup storage for one of my clients site. I'm currently using 60 Gigs of space without any problem.
    Being that Amazon S3 is more of a "cloud storage" type of system where you pay per gigabyte stored I would think they wouldn't care what you stored (as long as it was legal).

Quote Originally Posted by ==○○MR WAREZ○○== View Post
    I have used servage.net ..they allow it..
    Indeed they do not.
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.servage.net/page/terms_of_service/
    Disk space is intended for normal use only, and is limited to Web files, e-mail and content of the hosted Web sites, not for storage of media or other data. Disk space may not be used as offsite storage (e.g. remote backups) for electronic files or for third party electronic mail or FTP hosts.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekSRV View Post
    Because they offer the large space limits knowing that most won't use it and those using it for backups are much more likely to use a large amount of space than those that just use the space for web sites.

It's a way for them to protect themselves and their houses of cards from the extreme usage incurred by those using the space for backups.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Well Amazon S3 seems interesting and not expensive, but a little complicated. After 10 minutes spent on their site I still haven't found how to upload files via FTP.

Otherwise I have found Adrive.com. Only 6,95 for 50Gb and FTP? Too good to be true?

Well Amazon S3 seems interesting and not expensive, but a little complicated. After 10 minutes spent on their site I still haven't found how to upload files via FTP.

Otherwise I have found Adrive.com. Only 6,95 for 50Gb and FTP? Too good to be true?
    Amazon S3 does not use ftp, you will need to use this http://cloudberrylab.com/?page=cloud...orer-amazon-s3 to upload files.

Yes, very common, and correct among hosts that do overselling, since they really want you to use all the space.

Have you looked at like an FTP hosting service, of course one that would require a username and password but those services are make to just host files.

I have a hosting account with Site5 but I have just found out that they don't allow the storage of personal files or backups. This is a very strange policy for me....

I'd like to precise that I don't need advanced online backup solutions. I just need a place for the storage of personal files (images, mostly) which will be updated maybe once a year or so.
    Completely normal.

Quote Originally Posted by igxhost View Post
    It depends on how much disk space you'll need to store your files. Perhaps a backup account is more viable at least the disk space allocated to you is more than likely available for full use.
    I'd go with what this guy said and jump on a backup account, providers such as bqbackup.com (brilliant) will give you space and let you use it.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexR View Post

Have you looked at like an FTP hosting service, of course one that would require a username and password but those services are make to just host files.
    Yes, but they are all so expensive. At least $20 per month for 15gb. Taking into account that I won't be doing regular backups this is very expensive.

Adrive price is good ($6,95 for 50gb) but they're new and no company information on their website.

So far only Amazon S3 seems to fit my needs (about $3 for 15gb storage). But I would like to find another one just to compare and take the decision.

Quote Originally Posted by ST-Mike View Post
    I'd go with what this guy said and jump on a backup account, providers such as bqbackup.com (brilliant) will give you space and let you use it.
    Again this is too advanced and expensive for me. I'm not searching for a backup solution, but just for a storage one. Thanks anyway.

Again this is too advanced and expensive for me. I'm not searching for a backup solution, but just for a storage one. Thanks anyway.
    Those providers are a backup or storage solution. You can pretty much use the space for any kind of storage. With shared hosting you're unlikely to find a provider which will maintain a good service and allow storage of files - they don't actually want people using that ridiculous amount of space and most websites will never ever need it.