Anyone recommend any web hosts?

At the moment I'm with Awardspace, I'v dropped down to the free start package, after 3 years. I was wandering if there is anyone out there who knows any reliable web hosts. Some features that I need are:

- Email
    - A lot of storage (1TB?)
    - Mysql databases
    - PHP
    - Password protected directories
    - A free package (if possible to trial).
    - Fast European server

Awardspace had a lot of features, so I'm worried I'll move to someone else with less features.

If you need such a lot of diskspace (1TB !) you should go for a dedicated server; all other (shared) services will eventually kick you out for resource usage.

You will not find any reliable shared account that will let you use 1TB of storage.

Well 1TB isn't necessary yet, but it will be when I expand. So I am atm looking for a shared web host, with a possibility to upgrade to a dedicated server, later on.

So how much disk space do you *actually* need right now?

10gb+ is effiecent for now.

I'd recommend getting an budget VPS with the option to upgrade later to a bigger diskspace, 1TB on shared hosting is crazy kinda like the unlimited deals, tons of hidden restrictions.

Whats your budget? or what are you willing to pay?

Must be in Europe? Some host don't offer free trial most offer 30 day money back. You can also take a look in the Hosting offers section plenty of good providers.

Cheers.

get yourself any host which offers 100GB disk usage - they usually have 10% mediafiles restriction in their TOSes

It must have cPanel so when you eventually will get yourself a dedi - you can easily migrate your sites by yourself.

I am sure that you can find a shared hosting provider able to provide you 1TB of disk space (A custom package) but their price would be a lot more then a dedicated server running 2x 1TB HDD.

For example, if I was XYZ Hosting and you came to me for a custom plan with 1TB of disk space, I would charge you $750, place you on a server all by yourself and make a killing when you can get the same server I would use for less than $200. Its better off getting a dedicated server.

I'm using Awardspace, but there really isn't a reason to move away from them, they've offered good service, communication, support etc, apart from the occasional slow server. I just checked their Web Pro Plus Hosting plan (shared) for only $6.49 a month? It comes with unlimited storage and bandwidth, and a free lifetime domain name. How is this even possible? Awardspace have a good reputation and are trustworthy, surely theres a catch to it. Has anyone tried this hosting plan? I'v only been on the basic one.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyl888 View Post
    I'm using Awardspace, but there really isn't a reason to move away from them, they've offered good service, communication, support etc, apart from the occasional slow server. I just checked their Web Pro Plus Hosting plan (shared) for only $6.49 a month? It comes with unlimited storage and bandwidth, and a free lifetime domain name. How is this even possible? Awardspace have a good reputation and are trustworthy, surely theres a catch to it. Has anyone tried this hosting plan? I'v only been on the basic one.
    They definitely won't allow you to use 1TB of disk space even though they say they say unlimited disk space on their plans. They are simply overselling their services. If you really need that amount of disk space, you can check out Amazon s3. It only costs $0.15/GB.

Unlimited/Unmetered is a marketing trick. If I told you that my new Chrysler 300C gets unlimited miles per gallon would you believe me? Or if I told you I was just at Best Buy (Computer Store) and bought an unlimited hard drive, would you believe me? Why would you think a hosting company has the technology to provide such plans? Its all marketing. The average unlimited host limits the amount of files you may place and when you do the math its less then 5GB of files.

Oh thanks for that, I had no idea Amazon did online services as well. Should I just find a basic hosting plan (reliable) then use that Amazon service to host my digital download files?

Oh thanks for that, I had no idea Amazon did online services as well. Should I just find a basic hosting plan (reliable) then use that Amazon service to host my digital download files?
    Yes, you can, twitter also uses amazon s3 as their file storage servers.

Is it possible to store a mysql db on Amazon s3?

Is it possible to store a mysql db on Amazon s3?
    No. Unfortunately, Amazon s3 only supports file hosting. You'll need a VPS or dedicated server for the database.

How is this even possible?
    If you read unlimited as "infinite", you'd be wrong. It's just unrestricted, but there are inherent and indirect limits at play, with all such offers. Check the TOS.

1TB space usage is a lot, and really only translates in a need for a dedicated server.

Rather than focusing too much on all these numbers, you should estimate your need in the short-mid term and find a reputable (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php) provider that can fit those needs. Don't be over optimistic when it comes to your website's success. Disk space is easy to buy. Quality website traffic, not so easy.