Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BoxVPS no ticket reaction after 24 hours and VPS down for 2 days!

BoxVPS seems to be have support problems judging from the threads here about BoxVPS. Furthermore, from my personal experience with BoxVPS in the last few days I can affirm this. My VPS went down about 2 days ago and the ticket with the request to look into it and reboot/start if necessary got no reaction. As BoxVPS has still no VPS control panel after HyperVM fiasco this is a BIG NO NO!

=================================================================

Department: Tech Support
    Date: 09/22/2009 03:46
    Subject: xenos.jfalk.de down (174.36.60.91)
    Urgency: High

========================================
    Joachim Falk || Client 09/22/2009 03:46

Dear BOXVPS techsupport,
    my VPS is down since yesterday (no ping, no ssh). Could you
    please look into it?

Cheers,
    Joachim

Joachim Falk || Client 09/22/2009 03:48

You may also refer to Ticket #901369 and look for the underlying cause of these occurrences!

Joachim Falk || Client 09/22/2009 10:01

Are your there?! At least boot my VPS in a timely manner!!!

Joachim Falk || Client 09/23/2009 01:51

Now 24hours have passed and I still got no reaction from you. I at least expected that someone hit the reboot button on the HyperVM control panel!

=================================================================

P.S.: Ticket #901369 was another such occurrence. But at least their
    support reacted in a timely manner to this (< 10min). I don't know
    whats going on there. But from the threads here it looks like a
    support meltdown right now.

P.P.S.: Yeah the last ticket was not exactly 24 hours later. But now
    a day has surely passed since opening this ticket and the VPS
    is still down.

I've supported BoxVPS here in the past but I'm reviewing my opinion!

My VPS with them went down a couple of hours ago. The IPs either side of it are pingable (which may or may not mean that the host server is up). The VPS is stable software-wise so this is likely to be either a host or network fault.

I paid a mere $25 for a year and I've had several months, so it's good value even if it stays down forever but it's annoying nevertheless, especially when there's no way for the customer even to try a reboot.

I've raised a ticket but whether they'll reply is uncertain, judging from recent comments here.

Seems like everyone is having problems?

They dont offer controlpanel for clients themself to do reboots?

Might want to make backup's just incase.

Good luck!

My VPS is up again now. It was rebooted twice during the outage (not by me, so perhaps the host was restarted).

I learnt my lesson after the VAserve hack and my VPS now backs itself up every hour using rsync.

ip ping with me
    i think you will need moved to new provide

BoxVPS responded to my ticket, which is good. The VPS has gone down again, though, which is not so good.

My vps with BoxVPS was also rebooted last night.

VPS reachable again.

OK, my VPS is reachable again. BoxVPS answered the ticket last night. But their response time is still quite slow. Furthermore, a cursory glance at my logs reveals that the VPS was more or less up the whole time but had connectivity issues. Moreover, as reported before in this thread, the VPS has been rebooted two times (23.09 17:39 UTC and 23.09 19:12 UTC).

I really have a problem with these reports people make lately here about host providers.

First, they come here with 5 or less posts on this forum. Makes you wonder if they are just competitors trying to reduce the competition.

Second, a lot of these are knee jerk reactions when the host support doesn't answer them right away.

Third, does anyone know how to use the phone anymore? CALL SUPPORT!!!!

Fourth, did they check using a outside service like network-tools.com to see if you can ping / trace from there? Your server isn't down the street.

A lot of people don't seem to realize how much damage they can do to a company by posting stuff like this when it could be a simple routing problem, and possibly a local one that the host has no control over. Fiber cables get cut, it just happens.

If you picked a host provider after doing some research, stick with them. Ragging on them here doesn't help the situation, and if you put them out of business you put yourself out.

Quote Originally Posted by web-1 View Post
    I really have a problem with these reports people make lately here about host providers.

First, they come here with 5 or less posts on this forum. Makes you wonder if they are just competitors trying to reduce the competition.

Second, a lot of these are knee jerk reactions when the host support doesn't answer them right away.
    I signed up for an account at BoxVPS - since the price was unbelievable I figured why not.

I'll tell you why not - and I hope I have enough posts to satisfy you - I signed up 7 days ago and my VPS is still not ready. They sent a brief message that they installed Centos, but repeated inquiries regarding a control panel have remained unanswered.

If they ever get it set up I'll use it - but I certainly won't put anything important out there.

And by the way - I have VPSs with WiredTree, Servebyte, and iWebFusion and all three of these providers (over a range of prices) are great.
    Last edited by Abu Mami; 09-24-2009 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by web-1 View Post

Third, does anyone know how to use the phone anymore? CALL SUPPORT!!!!

Fourth, did they check using a outside service like network-tools.com to see if you can ping / trace from there? Your server isn't down the street.

A lot of people don't seem to realize how much damage they can do to a company by posting stuff like this when it could be a simple routing problem, and possibly a local one that the host has no control over. Fiber cables get cut, it just happens.

If you picked a host provider after doing some research, stick with them. Ragging on them here doesn't help the situation, and if you put them out of business you put yourself out.
    Appreciate the post/reply(the thought behind it).

I cannot speak directly about this issue. This was an abnormally we fixed ASAP. This only happened to a very select few customers(1-4). It did take a couple hours or less though resolved. We also always compensate well with credit/extra ram etc..

Sorry for the late reply(We have been busy).
    boxVPS.com - How big is your box?

Quote Originally Posted by budman714 View Post
    Appreciate the post/reply(the thought behind it).

I cannot speak directly about this issue. This was an abnormally we fixed ASAP. This only happened to a very select few customers(1-4). It did take a couple hours or less though resolved. We also always compensate well with credit/extra ram etc..

Sorry for the late reply(We have been busy).
    please check your site

Quote Originally Posted by Up2vps View Post
    please check your site
    What do You want me to check for?

when i reply site was down

Possibly caught us in a quick apache reboot.

Thanks for the informative post.

Wonder, BoxVPS has lot of issues with support team. May be you guys need to improve your quality or change the support team.

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Mami View Post
    I signed up for an account at BoxVPS - since the price was unbelievable I figured why not.
    As you say, you found out why not. A dirt cheap web host simply does not have the funds to pay for a decent support team. Not unless it's a big company that is cross-subsidizing the VPS arm of their operation with large profits from some other arm, and I don't believe Boxvps qualifies in that regard.

I'm not altogether sure why people keep falling for this trap - price is too good to be true, sign up, then the problems begin...
    Koroush Ghazi
    Owner/Author
    TweakGuides.com
    Currently Hosted by: EuroVPS

Quote Originally Posted by PersianImmortal View Post
    As you say, you found out why not. A dirt cheap web host simply does not have the funds to pay for a decent support team. Not unless it's a big company that is cross-subsidizing the VPS arm of their operation with large profits from some other arm, and I don't believe Boxvps qualifies in that regard.

I'm not altogether sure why people keep falling for this trap - price is too good to be true, sign up, then the problems begin...
    I'd agree with you. There are a few VPS hosts that can offer very competitive prices and yet still offer a great service, but they are few, far between.

There's good and bad hosts. There's those who excel under pressure, have great success for themselves and for their customers. There's also those who while having the best of intentions, lack the ability/resources to manage everything when the going gets tough.

Anyone who's been here for a while has seen many hosts come and go, and will continue to. Recently I've had more and more trouble tolerating the amount of people "getting screwed" by these fly by night companies and can't help but feel deeply for those involved. Those with long term/reputable providers don't generally suffer from such issues, but at the same time it's exceedingly important to support start up/small businesses.

It really comes down to the customer truly evaluating any potential providers on more than just cost. Even though we all know you get what you pay for, it seems $ talks more than facts

Regarding the issues with BoxVPS.. They appear to be with Softlayer, and as a Softlayer customer myself I can say with confidence that these issues are very unlikely due to SL. We all know SL rocks!!

Sorry to pop the bubble here, but as JoachimFalk's VPS was up the entire time, just unreachable it mite be due to non payment on BoxVPS's part. Softlayer turn off public ports after 5 days overdue, yet will still keep the server running.
    | | i write code

Ok here we go again. The VPS is down for 7 days. I got no ticket reaction for 48 hours and their license is screwed up again!

BoxVPS website with "License Validation Failed" error
    => http : //img44.imageshack.us/img44/33/boxvpslicensescrewup.png
    Eliminate spaces as necessary.

P.S.: Can't use the BB tag feature as I seem to have not enough posts.

@JoachimFalk
    I suggest that you contact BoxVPS again. My vps with them was unexpectedly rebooted 6 days ago, but it has been working fine since then. The following is its uptime:
    $ uptime
    16:04:18 up 5 days, 17:14, 1 user, load average: 1.09, 1.77, 1.14
    And the load average has fallen from 10+ to the current level. With improved keystroke response.

It's problem with them that when things go wrong no ticket can make them to reply.
    And even when they reply after some week or two they usually don't give you direct answer what happened or solution, neither express regret for all caused troubles and ignorance.
    One of my worst hosts ever.
    Oh and I still recieving their invoices disregarding the fact that after they lost my stuff (yeah, my files, sites, etc.. hosted with them somehow vanished) and was waiting for reply more than a week.. and was without service whole this time (some month or so)... I canceled account.

They advertise on WHT pretty much.. if they would spend half of this time to dealing with cutomers it would be much better... Most likely one-man band which pretend that "they" are company.

same here, nothing working + no response to ticket, very sad (it's just one of 3 backup servers, so no big deal for us, but still)
    empty signature: for now
    ---
    ICQ 417649206

Did anybody get a control panel with their VPS? Mine came without. I understand that they're not managed, but I've got several unmanaged VPSs that come with control panels.

At least I didn't really need this VPS. Since the price was cheap I thought I'd give it a shot. Guess I lost some money - but not much

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Mami View Post
    Guess I lost some money - but not much
    LOL. How much you have paid ?
    © www.hostinginside.com AS9678 √
    © Taiwan Colocation and Dedicated Server
    © Taiwan, Singapore, US, UK & Germany KVM Based VPS with RAID 10

Funnily enough, I'm having a problem with my shared hosting account with them. It's been down a wee while. I sent a support ticket in yesterday but it hasn't even been looked at, despite labelling it urgent. I know it was very cheap hosting, but still y'know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast