dedicated server provider advice

hi folks,

i need to get a server today/tomorrow. i looked at the following and can't pick one:

corenetworks
    ubiquityservers
    sevenl
    iweb
    colocrossing

iweb and colocrossing seem to be in the mid-range at ~250. ubiquityservers and netrackservers are over $300; while sevenl and corenetworks seem so cheap it makes me think something is off there

my server requirements are rather quite simple: good hardware, good network to USA and europe (so east coast color preferred), freebsd 7 64 bit, ssh with root and thats all.

so... at this point i am pretty much debating between iweb and colocrossing -- but how do i pick? flip a coin and hope it doesn't land on the edge?

i am actually leaning slightly toward colocrossing (because traceroute from my house to iweb took 21 hops, and to colocrosing 13 hops)

any words of wisdom?

iweb and colocrossing is a good provider.

I believe, it is just a matter of the price and network so search for some review here.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Cant go wrong with iweb or colocrossing, what cpu you aiming for? quad?

A lot of providers will match prices or do custom quotes, have you tried contacting any of those providers to see if they'll match prices? You'll get more of an apples to apples comparison that way.
    BudgetVM - The Virtualization Experts
    Mike Gazzerro, Account Manager
    Chicago, Miami, Dallas, Los Angeles
    Wholly owned by Enzu Inc., an Inc500 Company.

One thing you could check out is the reviews on WHT. There are probably a lot of reviews for both of them, maybe you will see something you like better in the reviews. Thanks
    Jeremy Miller - Account Executive
    SingleHop Inc. - Dedicated Servers Exclusive Specials - www.singlehop.com/jeremymiller
    Phone: 1-866-817-2811 ext. 103

What about WiredTree

I'd recommend theplanet.

Hey jkb_

It looks like you are new to the forum (post count). I find that unless you place some information regarding your specs, most of the responses in this thread will turn out "check out the reviews", "search for them", Etc.

Let us know perhaps, the core (proc), RAM, HDD, back-up solutions, control panels, etc that you are looking for. Many regulars on WHT know the pricing of many providers, and know the pricing structures/discounting that may allow you to get the server you are looking for well under budget.

Anyway, We're here to help!
    Machen N. Mathews - Limestone Networks - Business Development
    Cloud - Enterprise & Dedicated Hosting - Resell Dedicated Servers
    DDoS Protected - @LimestoneInc - 877.586.0555 x112
    Bitcoin? Coffee? Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by johnch View Post
    I'd recommend theplanet.
    He was looking for East coast for best connections in the US or to the EU.

Looking up as many providers on the East coast and doing traceroutes to their websites would be the fastest and easiest way to compare the shortest hops to each provider and lowest latency. Most EU bound traffic will go through Washington DC. but the datacenters all along the East coast will have comparable latency across the pond.
    - Donovan K
    Want to monitor and manage your customers Windows systems by Client software, web portal, or mobile phone?
    Automated scripts, patching, and remote access too? Ask me how!

I ordered a server from Corenetworks in Dec 2006, wondering what the catch was. Almost three years later, there hasn't been any. I've never had a problem with them. Support has always been prompt/helpful, but I've had no need for it, aside from DNS entries and buying hardware upgrades If you just need a box in a datacenter, with remote power cycling, KVM available, upstream DDoS blocking and nearly no limits on your usage, consider them. If you want more tech support, talk to them first. Back in 2006, that wasn't their gig, and I haven't asked since. In fact, I pretty much quit visiting WHT after finding them (not that I haven't missed you folks, but I've simply had no need)

WiredTree and iWeb get good reviews on the forums - so i'd recommend them to you.

Iweb.com has no real technical staff available.It's from my experience not from gossips. Iweb is good for small businesses...nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by melchi View Post
    Iweb.com has no real technical staff available.It's from my experience not from gossips. Iweb is good for small businesses...nothing more.
    No real technical staff? Maybe you can give us more details about your experience with iWeb.

Thanks.
    Sylvain Delisle
    Community Manager
    iWeb.com

DedicatedNOW are good. I am only moving away from them to go to eUKhost because I would prefer the datacenter to be closer to where I live. The BlueSquare datacenter in UK is meant to be the best.

DedicatedNOW have quality servers though as well as good support. Might want to try pinging them.

Sometimes its what you need in a host. Some offer better excellent support, some are geographically located in an ideal location for your traffic. I say, first narrow it down by the good reviews and then weed out the hosts who dont offer what you need.
    Psychz Networks - Enterprise Servers & Data Center Professionals
    ★24/7 On-Site Support - Premium Server Hardware
    ★Facilities: Los Angeles, CA - Dallas, TX, Ashburn, VA | Tier-4 Data Centers
    ★Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Psychz DDoS-Shield™ On-Premise Mitigation

* :)

Quote Originally Posted by jkb_ View Post
    hi folks,

i need to get a server today/tomorrow. i looked at the following and can't pick one:

corenetworks
    ubiquityservers
    sevenl
    iweb
    colocrossing

iweb and colocrossing seem to be in the mid-range at ~250. ubiquityservers and netrackservers are over $300; while sevenl and corenetworks seem so cheap it makes me think something is off there

my server requirements are rather quite simple: good hardware, good network to USA and europe (so east coast color preferred), freebsd 7 64 bit, ssh with root and thats all.

so... at this point i am pretty much debating between iweb and colocrossing -- but how do i pick? flip a coin and hope it doesn't land on the edge?

i am actually leaning slightly toward colocrossing (because traceroute from my house to iweb took 21 hops, and to colocrosing 13 hops)

any words of wisdom?
    If traceroute for those 2 companies are the same, then I believe the best thing to do, is to read the reviews about them on WHT. Also try to make some google search. Plus compare the deals they gave you. You told us it's 250$ , can you tell us for what server specification (Dual Core/Quad or more)and etc.
    Of course try to see how their are replying to your tickets
    Last edited by CaroNetTanya; 10-21-2009 at 06:53 AM. Reason: mistake