Public Liability Insurance?

Hi,

We have just been to our Bank (HSBC) and had a meeting with the manager. One of the things we discussed was Public Liability Insurance. Now we work completley online and all our clients are online. However the bank manager came up with scenario's like:

"If someone visits your house and is injured by a failling piece of PC Hardware you are liable for damages"

Now to us this is really far fetched and hardly likely to happen, however has any other totaly online Business thought about taking out Public Liability insurance? or is a just a selling pitch by the bank manager.

if you have people visit your home/office on a regular basis, whether employee's, interviewies (sp?), customers/clients, etc, then this might be something you should consider. if you have people stop buy, but seldomly, then it's your call if you want to take the risk.

i'm in no way an expert on this subject. this is just my opinion.

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks any advice is appreciated. To be honest its not something we thought about before starting up and I dare say not many other new Business's think of it staight away. However now we have learnt more about it I think we will look into it further.

Thanks

Why in the world would you need this?
    SeeksAdmin .:. Linux & Windows Server Management
    24/7 Coverage | 30 Day Guarantee | Fast Response Times
    Quality Outsourced Customer Support Services
    █ Drop Me A Line For Special Offers

The other side of the coin

Well your right to think like that, I mean we still think a lot of what the bank manager was telling us what salesman talk. However it does not cost too much and maybe be worth paying out for just to be safe.

Originally posted by LiNuX
    Why in the world would you need this?
    this is incase someone sue's you for getting hurt at your place of business. most (if not all) stores where you can walk in to do your shopping or what not have this type of insurance.

if you are a UK limited company this insurance is compulsary by law I believe.

another note, all it will take is for 1 injury/law suit which would have a very strong possibility to put you out of business for you to realize why you need this kind of insurance.

Limited Companies

Hi Superdon,

I like your site a lot btw :-).

We have sent off our limited company documents and it does not mention public liability in there. However I think you are correct about limited companies having to have this isurance.

Do you mind me asking you as a Limited company how much you pay per month/annually and how much you are covered for, I will not take offence if you don't wish to reveal figures.

Our business insurance is fairly cheap, just a few hundred pounds per year.

We use http://www.tolsonmessenger.co.uk/ for our cover. Some insurance companies wont touch you when you mention web hosting.