Is this possible

This has been going on my mind for a very long time and need to know if this would be possible with the right routers switches ect

To have a rack of 8 servers (1U or 2U) that share a connection of 1Gbps dedicated unmetered and each server has 1Gbps connection between each other.
    So would it okay to say that each server has a dedicated 100mbps unmetered bandwidth or not

I'm new into colocation and it might be a noobish question so mind me

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mash-e1 View Post
    This has been going on my mind for a very long time and need to know if this would be possible with the right routers switches ect

To have a rack of 8 servers (1U or 2U) that share a connection of 1Gbps dedicated unmetered and each server has 1Gbps connection between each other.
    So would it okay to say that each server has a dedicated 100mbps unmetered bandwidth or not

Thanks
    You could set the switch ports (if capable on your switch) to 100Mbps port speed. Most managed switches are, be it from the CLI on Cisco or Adtran. Even a web interface on a netgear, etc... But I don't recommend Netgear for anything serious.

Thanks
    Yes, but you wouldn't need the right switch just rather have each server with a 100Mbps NIC. 100Mbps (x) 8 = 800Mbps max, and 1Gbps = 1000Mbps so you wouldn't have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Wall View Post
    Yes, but you wouldn't need the right switch just rather have each server with a 100Mbps NIC. 100Mbps (x) 8 = 800Mbps max, and 1Gbps = 1000Mbps so you wouldn't have a problem.
    Or this way

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTrike View Post
    Or this way
    Or your way

Either ways work great

Or your way

Either ways work great
    Is this a good time for.... Touché?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTrike View Post
    Is this a good time for.... Touché?
    Yes, or should it be Too Shay?

If you don't get it, it's relating to another thread where another WHT member wrote Touché as Too Shay

lol

Getting back to the OP, check out some used Cisco gear, 2950's 3550's etc. Are you familiar with the cisco IOS and CLI?

I just bought a couple of 3500 series switches from James @ CPC Technologies pretty cheap, see if he has any others he's willing to part with on the cheap. I got them with SC GBIC fiber modules as well. Which would work great for what you are looking to accomplish.

You may need 2 switches

Thanks
    You may need 2 switches. One for public network with 1 Gb/s uplink and 100 Mb/s ports. And one - for private network - with 8x1Gb/s ports. Much better config (if you really need 1 Gb/s between the servers).
    Professional Streaming services - http://www.tulix.com - info at tulix.com
    Double optimized - AS36820) network, best for live streaming/VoIP/gaming
    The best quality network - AS7219

So its just the switches that need to be able to support 1Gbps or does the server need a 1Gbit port and a 100Mbit port

Thanks for your replies

Also can anyone tell me how much is it going to cost for the colocation of 8 servers and 1gbit unmetered in a good datacentre perferably in EU and router and switch I want to know an estimate price

As long as your switches have the ability to change port speeds, 10/100/1000 etc... You should be good, technically your servers wont need more than 100Mbps so a standard 10/100 nic or 10/100/1000 nic will be fine.

Price quoting is not permitted here, sorry Check out the offers section to find some providers to contact for quotes Technically you have to initiate private contact with providers or members to get more info.

So its just the switches that need to be able to support 1Gbps or does the server need a 1Gbit port and a 100Mbit port

Thanks for your replies

Also can anyone tell me how much is it going to cost for the colocation of 8 servers and 1gbit unmetered in a good datacentre perferably in EU and router and switch I want to know an estimate price
    You'll get 1 Gb/s "unmetered" from you hosting provider - cable will be plugged in into a switch with 1 - 1Gb/s port. This switch will have 12 or more (probably 24) 100Mb/s ports (price for the Cisco switch probably in $200 range). Then you'll plug each server into 100 Mb/s ports. Each server suppose to have (and usually does) 2x 1Gb/s ports. So one of them you'll connect to the 100 Mb/s port on the switch (it will wok OK). Then you would need another switch, with all 1 Gb/s ports - Netgear could be a good choice - $200 - $500 range, and you'll plug all the second network cards (1 Gb/s each) into that second switch. The "private" network with Netgear switch will allow you to exchange data quickly between the servers, like for backup purposes. If you don't need data exchange - you don't need the second switch, just use one in the front.

Regarding prices for the colo and the bandwidth - it will depend on the sizes of the servers, how much power they will use and and how "guaranteed" bandwidth of the 1 Gb/s (overselling) will be provided to you. My guesses are that (we are not in EU anyway) price range could be $5,000 and $15,000 per month - but probably you can always find cheaper prices - those who oversell will be able to sell this service for lower price, but they may have difficulties with guaranteeing 1 Gb/s bandwidth to your servers.
    Professional Streaming services - http://www.tulix.com - info at tulix.com
    Double optimized - AS36820) network, best for live streaming/VoIP/gaming
    The best quality network - AS7219

I had it in my mind this way

Quote Originally Posted by tulix View Post
    You'll get 1 Gb/s "unmetered" from you hosting provider - cable will be plugged in into a switch with 1 - 1Gb/s port. This switch will have 12 or more (probably 24) 100Mb/s ports (price for the Cisco switch probably in $200 range). Then you'll plug each server into 100 Mb/s ports. Each server suppose to have (and usually does) 2x 1Gb/s ports. So one of them you'll connect to the 100 Mb/s port on the switch (it will wok OK). Then you would need another switch, with all 1 Gb/s ports - Netgear could be a good choice - $200 - $500 range, and you'll plug all the second network cards (1 Gb/s each) into that second switch. The "private" network with Netgear switch will allow you to exchange data quickly between the servers, like for backup purposes. If you don't need data exchange - you don't need the second switch, just use one in the front.

Regarding prices for the colo and the bandwidth - it will depend on the sizes of the servers, how much power they will use and and how "guaranteed" bandwidth of the 1 Gb/s (overselling) will be provided to you. My guesses are that (we are not in EU anyway) price range could be $5,000 and $15,000 per month - but probably you can always find cheaper prices - those who oversell will be able to sell this service for lower price, but they may have difficulties with guaranteeing 1 Gb/s bandwidth to your servers.
    Thanks man this just expands on jacobs idea I think

So if I do it like that each server connected to a 100Mbps switch is it right to call that a dedicated 100Mbit line or not

Also if I want to have remote reboot will I have to get a ACP switch/port what if I want to have remote OS reinstallations for me and my users what else do I need to get to achieve this.

Thanks

Thanks man this just expands on jacobs idea I think

So if I do it like that each server connected to a 100Mbps switch is it right to call that a dedicated 100Mbit line or not

Also if I want to have remote reboot will I have to get a ACP switch/port what if I want to have remote OS reinstallations for me and my users what else do I need to get to achieve this.

Thanks
    I'm pretty new to Colo as well, as asked some 'similar' questions in another thread
    I ended up buying this APC Rack PDU, switched, Zero U, Model AP7932 http://www.apc.com/resource/include/...ase_sku=AP7932

Ebay has some great cheap ones. You could also get one with 12 connectors instead of 24, but then theres always room for growth

As for remote OS reinstallations, I'd also be interested from someone else who knows this, but generally the DC staff will install any image you need onto your servers for free (well within your remote hands time)

Thank you for the reply

And my main thing is for me and my users to have remote OS installations or is that option too expensive