Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : e-commerce

Forum Jump

e-commerce

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2000, 11:22 PM
Nicolas

Question

Can anyone tell me if there are other e-commerce services like ibill.com and ccbill.com out there?

I would choose ibill but I don't like that limitation they have to force you to make a certain amount of money so they get at least 25 dollars per month from your sales, I think I wouldn't match that value.

As for ccbill.com, I don't like their Web site, it's not well arranged and there are some things that are not well detailed.

I'd like to know if someone knows about another good service like these ones. Please note that I do NOT want a merchant account, just a service of this kind.

Thanks in advance,
Nicolas

PS: I know this message is off-topic, but I didn't know where to ask this question.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2000, 07:36 AM
Matty

Perhaps try Internetsecure.com, I do not use them but I know people so have and have been quite happy. (no merchant account needed)

I received this via e-mail

(1.) STARTER U.S. DOLLAR ONLY* ( VISA , MASTERCARD)

One Time Setup Fee $250.00 US
Monthly Admin Fee $ 40.00 US
Per Approved transaction $ 2.50 US
Visa/Mastercard Discount 4.85%
Rolling Holdback (RMRF)* 10%

Note: At any time you may upgrade from Starter US to standard US pricing
below for a one-time fee of $300.00

(2.) Standard U.S. DOLLAR ONLY* ( VISA , MASTERCARD)

One Time Setup Fee $495.00 US
Monthly Admin Fee $ 35.00 US
Per Approved transaction $ 1.50 US
Visa/Mastercard Discount 3.85%
Rolling Holdback (RMRF)* 8%

(3.) CDN DOLLAR ONLY* ( VISA, MASTERCARD & AMEX)

One Time Setup Fee $407.00 US
Monthly Admin Fee $ 42.00 CDN ( $30.00 US)
Per Approved transaction $ 1.50 CDN ($1.00 US)
Visa/Mastercard/Amex Discount 3.85% to 4.5%

(4.) CANADIAN AND US DOLLAR* ( ALL CARDS)

One Time Setup Fee $585.00 US
Monthly Admin Fee $ 45.00 US
Per US Approved transaction $ 1.50 US
Per Cdn approved trans $ 1.00 CDN
Visa/Mastercard/Amex Discount 3.85% to 4.5%

Old 03-12-2000, 10:32 PM
Nicolas

Unhappy

Thanks for the info, but unfortunately they would require me to have a bank account on my company's name. They don't accept personal bank accounts (the account is the one they would transfer my funds to).

I'm a one-person company, my bank account is on my name. I would have loved to sign up for their service, it's awesome except for that requirement.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2000, 10:54 PM
Greg

Cool

I'm a one person company that has an account at internetsecure.com, i've had it over a year now. Just get an account under your business name, that's all they need.

Old 03-13-2000, 01:07 AM
jjjj

Exclamation

In the US you need a DBA and they do a couple checks on you(nonthing big).

Old 03-13-2000, 04:54 AM
Duster

You can do a lot better than that. Those prices are high. There is a wide variance in pricing for e-commerce, just as there was for site hosting a year or two ago. Some charge whatever the market will bear and prey on the ignorance of customers who may think that those are the going rates. Thank goodness for capitalism and competition. Start looking around and you will find much lower rates.

You will need a business checking account, and it's no big deal either. Shop for a bank like you would anything else. Mine didn't require an occupational license, so it was cheaper on that point alone. (I couldn't see paying the city for something that happens in cyberspace - I don't even sell anything on my site).

If you spend the time reseaching, including asking others, you'd be amazed at how much you can save and what you can learn.

Old 03-13-2000, 09:44 AM
Nicolas

Question

Can you then recommend another service? I have been searching and have come across several ones, including:
http://www.worldpay.com/ http://www.marketingtips.com/creditcards/ http://www.1stamericancardservice.com/

From all three I would choose marketingtips.com or 1stamericancardservice.com, but I'm not sure. A lot of those services speak things I don't understand, I'm relatively new to e-commerce and there are terms whose meanings I don't know.

I will greatly appreciate suggestions or comments about other services!

Old 03-13-2000, 12:43 PM

I'm I correct in saying that there is nothing special needed in getting a bank account in your company name. No credit checks, no minimum balanace, no status check, just like a personal account except you incur a very small monthly fee. Well that's how it works in the UK.

I think many are confusing a merchant account with a business account.

Old 03-13-2000, 07:18 PM
Duster

Sure. http://www.cardmax.com/ They are local to me and I've met with them (Jon Voxer specifically) nore than once. I got a good feeling and would call them if I ever have the need. They will help with any questions you have.
http://www.authorizenet.com/ http://www.edpcc.com/

For computer checks, the lowest prices I found (and where I get mine) are at http://www.checksforless.com/

The procedures for getting a business account can vary from state to state in the U.S., so check with your state's requirements (assuming you live in the U.S.) Some have it on their web sites. Here's what some states require:

If you are not incorporated, you have to place a classified ad in the fictitious names section of a newspaper in the county you do business in (or live in). You have to file with your state registering that name. You may or may not have to include proof of the newspaper ad, so make sure you get a copy.
Once you get the certificate with your business name registered, you can get a bank account. Some banks are more current than others on advances in technology and the Internet. Check with the requirements of banks in your area (or even those strictly on the Internet). As I mentioned earlier, I saved about $250 a year just by finding a bank that didn't require an occupational license. My site is an informational resource, I dont sell anything, and I couldn;t see having to pay a license fee to my city just because I live in it when my server isn't even located in the same state. Even if it was, I don't see why I should pay a fee for disseminating information.

Anyway, that's pretty much it. it can be a simple enough procedure and doesn't have to be as expensive as the rates you got, especially with all those setup type fees.

Old 03-13-2000, 07:59 PM
texan

well im going through this very thing right now...because I thought I could just use DBA
but I have to make a trip to the courthouse, and go to the assumed names dept., have them just basically check to see the name is not already in use by someone else, then I register that, get it notarized for 9.00 and go open the small biz acct. at the bank. I guess each state is different.

Old 03-13-2000, 09:55 PM
Nicolas

Cool

Admin: I'm not confusing a merchant account with a business account. It's just that many services offering merchant accounts require that you have a checking account under your company's name, not your personal name.

People who told me how to get a checking account under my name: Thanks, but I'm unfortunately unable to get a checking account under my company's name since it's not registered anywhere here where I live. I'm just starting and don't feel like going out of business before starting just because of taxes! ;-) And they're HIGH here!

Duster: Thanks for the URLs. I'll check those sites right now and tell you if the URLs were useful.

To everybody: Thanks for your help.

About the checking account under my company's name, I've found a service which allows me to use my personal checking account. Duster, I'll of course check out your URLs to see if there's another service of this kind (which doesn't require a business checking account) but even better.

Cheers,
Nicolas

Old 03-13-2000, 10:03 PM
rock

Nicolas
What is the URL to merchant service that does require a business checking accout?

Thanks

Old 03-13-2000, 10:03 PM
Nicolas

Exclamation

Duster,

So far I've checked out cardmax.com and I've realized everything is identical to http://www.marketingtips.com/creditcards/ except that it's not as detailed.

I think marketingtips.com is only publishing cardmax.com's services or vice versa. I had already checked out these services at marketingtips.com.

Nicolas

Old 03-13-2000, 10:05 PM
Nicolas

rock,

An example of the kind of services which require a business checking account is http://www.internetsecure.com/

Or did you mean the service that did NOT require a business checking account?

Old 03-13-2000, 10:08 PM
rock

Nicolas

The ones that did not require a business checking accout.

Thanks

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Website Publishing Platform Squarespace Integrates E-Commerce Shipping Solution Web Hosting News 2013-11-27 16:23:36
Interview: Loaded Commerce CEO Salvatore Iozzia at HostingCon Whir Tv 2013-10-05 03:43:35
Blog Platform Squarespace Launches Integrated Ecommerce Solution Web Hosting News 2013-02-15 11:35:54
Managed Host Tenzing Partners with Sitecore on E-commerce Hosting Tools Web Hosting News 2013-02-04 10:00:51
Yottaa Partners to Offer Ecommerce Acceleration for Drupal Online Merchants Web Hosting News 2012-11-06 08:58:19