Angry BuyDomains.com unreliable

Buydomains.com contacted me via E-Mail to ask if I would be interested in selling one of my domains, XpertRetail.com.
    In their E-Mail they explained.. "Please also keep in mind that if you agree to sell your domain for a specified price and the buyer agrees, it will be a legally binding agreement."
    The negociations went on and finally they confirmed that they wanted to buy this domain for $3,000 USD. This was a Friday and they said they would start the payment process on Monday.
    Then on Monday instead of payment the sent this... " I do apologize. This is not the way we like to do business. All offers place through our service are supposed to be confirmed. I have warned the buyer that this behavior will not be tolerated. Again I am very sorry to have wasted your time."
    As you can appreciate there is no realiability in their promises. I am so glad this happened before I signed over my domain.
    I would not recomend buying or selling a domain through BuyDomains.com looks like legally binding does not mean much to them.
    I will be glad to give anyone more information if you want it.

Stephen Searfoss

So that is the sign not deal with them. They used to contact me regarding some of the domain name I was interested in. Now I ignore their emails

In their E-Mail they explained.. "Please also keep in mind that if you agree to sell your domain for a specified price and the buyer agrees, it will be a legally binding agreement."
    The negociations went on and finally they confirmed that they wanted to buy this domain for $3,000 USD. This was a Friday and they said they would start the payment process on Monday.
    I'm not a lawyer, but if what they said to start with is true, they you may have a legal contract with THEM. They might be bound to buy the domain from you and then get their money from the buyer.

What probably happened is that the buyer contacted them about your domain, and they jacked the price up (Over $3000) to make some profit and the buyer didn't like it or changed their mind. It's hard to say if it is the buyer's fault or some screwup with buydomains, but from what I have seen they make a LOT of money from what they do. I used to list some domains at AfterNIC and I did sell a couple, but they took a large chunk of the profits, since when you list with them, you have to pay a fee to them. In your case, the buyer got stuck with the bill.

With any luck you may hear from the buyer directly and be able to make a deal with them directly. :-)

Hello everyone, Tim Bonehill here, Customer Service Manager with Afternic.com and BuyDomains.com.

The service Mr. Searfoss refers to is our Afternic Agent service. For this service we act as a broker between two parties, both the buyer (who initiates the process) and the seller (who we proactively reach out to) of the domain. As one would imagine in the role of a broker, despite the fact that both parties elect to enter into a "legally binding agreement", on occasion we still have individuals that choose not to honor their part of the agreement and the transaction fails to complete. Fortunately, our escrow service protects both parties, and as in this case, protects our customers from any material loss. As I personally explained to Mr. Searfoss, he has the right to pursue the prospective buyer of the domain and demand that they honor the agreement. We even offered to share the contact data and offer other assistance towards remedying the situation. Unfortunately, Mr. Searfoss is intent on focusing his justified frustration on our company, even though we are simply the intermediary between the parties.

Thankfully, Buydomains.com has a tremendous reputation as the world-class leader in the secondary domain market, and we can absorb wrongly directly criticisms of our service offerings. For 10+ years we have provided exceptional service to our domain-related customers, earning an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau in the process. While various circumstances do occassionally lead to situations such as these, Buydomains.com does everything within its power to minimize these events. As our thousands of customers will attest, Buydomains.com is committed to our customers and to providing exceptional service day-in and day-out.

Any further questions can be directed to our Customer Service Team at 866-351-9586.

Regards,

Tim Bonehill
    Customer Service Manager
    NameMedia.com
    [email protected]