What makes a great VPS?

I am considering entering into a VPS business. I have extensive knowledge of shared and dedicated hosting so it seems like a nature fit.

My question to everyone.

What makes a VPS provider "great"?

The market appears to be saturated with cheap providers. What features are most desirable? How do you stand out?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dwright View Post
    I am considering entering into a VPS business. I have extensive knowledge of shared and dedicated hosting so it seems like a nature fit.
    Be prepared to go to war with the scammers/fraudsters/botnets/spammers/phishers/ssh brute forcers/packet flooders/pirates/etc ....anything bad that could possibly happen will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by dwright View Post
    My question to everyone.

What makes a VPS provider "great"?

The market appears to be saturated with cheap providers. What features are most desirable? How do you stand out?

Thanks!
    Good luck getting an answer here - we're not going to give up our trade secrets easily
    RAM Host -- Premium & Budget Linux Hosting From The USA & EU
    █ Featuring Powerful cPanel CloudLinux Shared Hosting
    █ & Cheap Premium Virtual Dedicated Servers
    Follow us on Twitter

Quality is an important factor. You can always get into the "PRICE WAR" but in the end quality & service matters

Cheers
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Are you thinking about offering managed or unmanaged VPS services?
    Psychz Networks - Dedicated Servers, Co-location | GigePipe - High Bandwidth Servers | PhotonVPS - SSD Cloud
    True Layer 7 DDoS Mitigation | BGP Optimized by Noction Intelligent Routing | Asia-Pacific Low Latency Routes
    Los Angeles, CA (US West) | Dallas, TX (US East) | Ashburn, VA (US East)

Nothing too specific but here are some general things I look for.

1. Find your niche.
    Doesn't matter if your a budget host, a premium host or whatever. Research your target market and adjust to fit.

2. Focus on the long term.
    If you want to make a quick buck fast forget it. Realize that it can take years to build up a solid record and rep. Having a solid realistic business plan helps. Realize that it costs less to keep current customers happy then to get new ones. Treat them as you want yourself treated.

3. Have a clear and simple message and stick to it.
    I clump everything here from a clean website, clear terms, simple rules. I add that you should be honest and fair BUT when push comes to shove STICK TO YOUR RULES. Consistency rules.

4. If you can't provide a great service and support for the money then re-think your plan. There are $10/mo hosts out there that are a good buy and there are $50/mo hosts that are also a good buy. They offer very difference services but at their price points what they offer is what makes the difference.

5. Be active and proactive.
    Keep engaging your customers and potential customers, be it a forum or blog or here in WHT. Be out there and let people know you are engaged. Be proactive and take care of issues in an upfront and transparent manner. Downtime happens to everyone more important is how you handle them. COMMUNICATE, COMMUNICATE, COMMUNICATE!

Anyway good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonVPS-Jim View Post
    Are you thinking about offering managed or unmanaged VPS services?
    unmanaged. I've got experience with Xen on the backend (no management tool) so I'd like to stick with that.

This is fantastic information. Thanks for your contributions.

reliable server + good support.

Do most people build their own VPS servers or buy them from Dell / HP, etc?

I think most people buy [from a vendor], but if you can build them yourself for cheaper, why wouldn't you want to pad your margins that much more?