What makes FreeBSD different than any other OS?

Hey,

Anyone know what's special in FreeBSD?

how it's different than Ubuntu,Debian or CentOS?

and again what is this OpenBSD?

Quote Originally Posted by MixMasters View Post
    Hey,

how it's different than Ubuntu,Debian or CentOS?

and again what is this OpenBSD?

FreeBSD, OpenBSD and NetBSD all UNIX like operating system, you ask about its comparison and its other detail i request you go through the links below, i enough information about this, but to write thoughts will take alot time to explain. You are already using Linux as you posted few days queries regarding mysql, i request you if you are new user first gone through Ubuntu for sometime and get some experience after that you will feel that you are good enough in Ubuntu, after that when you will use FreeBSD you will get automatically the difference between Ubuntu and FreeBSD.

If you want to start FreeBSD initially i suggest you will read FreeBSD handbook.

http://www.freebsd.org/about.html
    http://www.netbsd.org/about
    http://www.openbsd.org/faq/index.html
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...ooks/handbook/

Talking

Hey again thanks for help, I've been using ubuntu from quite a long time about 3 or 4 years something but I'm still a noob though
    anyways thanks for helping buddy

Hey,
    Speed, stability, security (its default install is much more secure compared to a default linux distro install)

latest stable release 7.x runs mysql faster than linux kernel 2.6.x specially in the SMP arena (up to 8 processors) ..the list goes on ..many production class servers in high load environment used FreeBSD like yahoo.com ..the list goes on ..one thing about it is it tends to have a steeper learning curve than linux and support forums require that you dont post goofball questions (stuff that you can google...)

Quote Originally Posted by DJMizt73 View Post
    Speed, stability, security (its default install is much more secure compared to a default linux distro install)

latest stable release 7.x runs mysql faster than linux kernel 2.6.x specially in the SMP arena (up to 8 processors) ..the list goes on ..many production class servers in high load environment used FreeBSD like yahoo.com ..the list goes on ..one thing about it is it tends to have a steeper learning curve than linux and support forums require that you dont post goofball questions (stuff that you can google...)
    Definitely a more stable and secure OS. Easy to manage and well supported now days. It also has native ZFS in 7.x which is a huge addition. Apache/MySQL both benchmark ridiculously higher on FreeBSD than RHEL. The network static/firewall is far superior to Linux and IPTABLES. You really just can't go wrong. For company servers, shared, routers, firewalls, etc. FreeBSD is the only OS we use in production or place customers on. (Except in VPS environments but we're about to move those customers to FreeBSD hypervisor's as well!)

If you're just now starting to learn, this is the best time to jump on FreeBSD.

OpenBSD is a little different. It's a different build, more focused on security and appliance usage. Difficult to install and not a whole lot of support from products. As a whole, it is tighter than FreeBSD. The maintainers are a bit more stringent about what goes into the build. It's a great OS but I prefer FreeBSD and the direction they are headed. Many of the great things that OpenBSD has brought to the table have been ported to FreeBSD. (ie. CARP/pf just two examples) You won't go wrong with either OS but you may have more difficulty with OpenBSD.
    Last edited by FiberPeer; 09-23-2009 at 12:26 AM.
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ www.fiberpeer.com

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by DJMizt73 View Post
    ..one thing about it is it tends to have a steeper learning curve than linux and support forums require that you dont post goofball questions (stuff that you can google...)
    Bro u may be a great Linux Genius, but I'm not i believe that WHT is a great place to learn some good stuff, for my question google is not an answer,

there are lots of people who use FreeBSD i just want to know how stable is it and how good is it, if you can't answer just don't reply to this thread

About that ZFS support - actually it was just implemented few days ago and it is barely usable for production servers. However to entire question - I prefer FreeBSD over linux - it is more stable and usable.

Bro u may be a great Linux Genius, but I'm not i believe that WHT is a great place to learn some good stuff, for my question google is not an answer,

there are lots of people who use FreeBSD i just want to know how stable is it and how good is it, if you can't answer just don't reply to this thread
    first of all if you read my post properly - i said FreeBSD support forums, if it wasnt clear then my apologies ..WHT is not a freebsd support forum so dont get offended by what I said ..it was more of a caution to those who want to ask questions at freebsd forums, they are not as forgiving (most of the time they will just ignore questions that can be searched thru google) as forum such as this. Users of BSD tend to be more experienced UNIX users that understands the complexities of the system ..so asking things like "how do i configure ssh.." will just get flamed. I was just giving you the comparison you were asking (Linux forums tend to be more newbie friendly ..this maybe why some Linux users shun away from using FreeBSD)

now as far as my personal opinion ..yes, there are many goofball questions posted here in WHT that can be answered by simple google search and following howtos, man pages, etc. - some just want instant answers - which in my further opinion prevent you from learning how to use your OS ..and no I'm not a linux genius ..i stopped using linux 5 years ago after using it 10 years prior to that. As far as your question - i think its a great topic specially here where the dominant OS of choice is Linux.
    Last edited by DJMizt73; 09-23-2009 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashus View Post
    About that ZFS support - actually it was just implemented few days ago and it is barely usable for production servers. However to entire question - I prefer FreeBSD over linux - it is more stable and usable.
    ZFS was introduced in 7.x but it doesnt have the full feature compared to say opensolaris ..here's a sample of a massive backup system using 7.x and ZFS in a production system:

http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=3689