multiple domains and seo

I think I read google will punish you for linking multiple domains to the same site. I own about 8 domains that all link to the same site via 301 redirects. I know that is OK. What I want to do now is also have the site with another one of my domain. The reason is I dont want people to be turned off by the name CHICAGO in my domain name, they might automatically disregard it(hence the reason for some of my other domain names.

Im not doing it with all my domains, just one. Is there anyway to pull this off?
    Chicago Electronic Cigarettes: Tobacco Free, Smoke Free. 3 E-Cig Models, 11 flavors, and accessories.
    http://www.chicago-ecigs.com

I would think that if Google sees a 301 "moved permanently" then it thinks you moved your site and would stop showing the old site in search results.

So I don't understand why you think that's OK. Have you checked with keywords to see if the other sites doing the 301 are in any results?

I'm not sure what you are trying to do, but if people click on the link of say "newyork" but came to your site and it said "chicago" all over the page then they would still go away if the name is the problem.

I don't think people look at the URL anyway. They just click if the search result says something they want.

Maybe make the first words on the page something more generic, remember the title and the "H1" (big font) at the start of a page are most likely to be shown on the Google result.

People buy things from other places because it's something different, "French cuisine", so it may just benefit you.

You could put some posts on related Blogs talking about what you offer, or get some people to write reviews and that would get a lot of hits and back links.

You could also put up different sites for different locations. That would probably be a lot more work then putting more effort into one site and making it great.

multiple domains is not friend for SEO,you must put up different sites for different locations(content).

I don't believe that 301 linking them to one website is detrimental to your website as far as SEO, but it doesn't hurt it either. If the content was merged to the main site from the other sites then there may be some difference, like the pagerank won;t double or something. But I think you wouldn't have trouble by doing this with many domains. As was stated before, " it just won't help you to have them all pointed to one main site. More sites with relevant content on each them leading to your main desired website is best.
    - Donovan K
    Want to monitor and manage your customers Windows systems by Client software, web portal, or mobile phone?
    Automated scripts, patching, and remote access too? Ask me how!

Multiple domains = bad. Google doesn't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by davidb View Post
    I think I read google will punish you for linking multiple domains to the same site. I own about 8 domains that all link to the same site via 301 redirects. I know that is OK. What I want to do now is also have the site with another one of my domain. The reason is I dont want people to be turned off by the name CHICAGO in my domain name, they might automatically disregard it(hence the reason for some of my other domain names.

Im not doing it with all my domains, just one. Is there anyway to pull this off?
    Linking multiple domain to same site is not a problem... but the problem wil face on promotion.. if u r targeting only one domain then no problem.. promote only that domain leave all others just up...

Quote Originally Posted by shakir View Post
    Linking multiple domain to same site is not a problem... but the problem wil face on promotion.. if u r targeting only one domain then no problem.. promote only that domain leave all others just up...
    Exactly!

And how to make full use of time, money and your resources so as to optimize your benefit is the task that face us all!

Quote Originally Posted by XFactorServers View Post
    Multiple domains = bad. Google doesn't like it.
    Why do you say that XFactorServers?

Many companies will own multiple domains with different spellings of their company name or products, various domains for specific products or divisions, old domains from M&A activity, etc... that all redirect to their main site. This certainly does not hurt their SEO becuase their SEO will still focus on the main site.

I could see a problem if you are trying to catch traffic at the multiple domains and adding additional content (like keywords or fake content) to those redirect pages, then google might down rank those pages or the landing page from the redirect.

If you want to do marketing based on specific URL names, then you shouldn't see any problems. It is also a good way to gauge where your traffic is coming from and perhaps focus marketing dollars towards the campaigns of those specific better performing domains.
    the end of the world is upon us...absolute power corrupting absolutely...free speech is never free...

...mod friendly signature compliant

Yea it look bad in Google eyes, you can get banned

I'm in a similar situation. I have several domains that I want to redirect to my main site but I think it might be difficult to get the domains indexed if they are just redirects.

I can't see any common sense to use several domains for one website.

Multiple domain on same subject and for same client may not be good idea and can be worse if you host all domains on single server or have same whois or have same design or layout etc

Having Multiple domains = Multiple sources of links. When presented with duplicate content, google often seems to pick one page as the original and consign the others as unimportant copies, and they don’t rank well.
    Support Facility | 24/7 web hosting technical support services
    Technical support | Server management | Data migration

Technical Articles

Quote Originally Posted by inspiron View Post
    Having Multiple domains = Multiple sources of links.
    I think it is better to build all links for one domain only.

Multiple domains indicate that u are trying to manipulate the SEs, and google hate that!

Quote Originally Posted by inspiron View Post
    Having Multiple domains = Multiple sources of links.
    If for example I am going to put 10 back links for 1 domain, why should I put only 2 back links for each of 5 domains? So, I can have 1 domain with 10 links and 5 domains with 2 links. What is the difference?

If you don't want to send an alarming bell on google then you shouldn't be having multiple domains for a site. As many have told you already, google definitely hates that.

301's are for permanent redirects, so I use that to redirect my domain to www. You may be better off using the chicago site for that service area and leaving it alone - providing unique content for that area and focusing your marketing for that on local search. Why would you redirect everything to a local site?
    Really, don't try to complicate the whole seo - sem thing. Remember KISS.

Many people think that ordering different extentions for a domain name they can fully protect a brand acting in such a way. It is not so, it is better to hire a good lawyer for this purpose.

To answer davidb and aussieroo1

it is a shame to own several domains and not use them.
    The multi-sites strategy is SEO friendly and awfully efficient if:
    - you do not use duplicate content
    - use domain names not similar to the main site's

I have a friend in Texas, boomlifts4sale.com, who had several domains and did not get much traction from them. He contracted a an SaaS SEO company, SEO Samba, who provided him with an automated organic search management platform. He started with one site and now has published a total of 4 through them. Jeez ! You should see his rankings ! Within a few weeks his web traffic went through the ceiling, and his sales jumped dramatically too. It is an SEO execution platform and their team advise you on what strategy to take.
    Looks like this software enables you to scale your SEO efforts when you have multi-sites.
    He told me he paid for a setup fee and then $99 per month.
    Look them up.

good archive