hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Dedicated Server : Swiftway.co.uk ??????????????

Forum Jump

Swiftway.co.uk ??????????????

Reply Post New Thread In Dedicated Server Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2009, 12:58 AM
Aspiring Evangelist

Swiftway.co.uk ??????????????

I saw that Swiftway has wicked deals on 1gb dedicated for $999 euro/month in Netherlands. Can anyone beat this?

How is their speeds to USA and Asia?

Looking to buy a 1gbps dedicated server tomorrow and would appreciate feedback.

Anyone do $1000USD/month?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2009, 01:27 AM
Custom Hosting Master

Speeds in Europe are cheap because a lot of the bandwidth is based on public peerings which are dirt cheap.

Do some tests so you won't be disappointed later, but keep in mind you'll also need a reasonably powerful server to be able to push up to 1gbps.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:08 AM
Aspiring Evangelist

Can I have someone in USA, UK, Japan, Other Asian countries do a speed test for me: http://speedtest.swiftnoc.com/

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2009, 08:45 AM
Aspiring Evangelist

Hong Kong 200Kb/s but dropped to 150kb/s
Japan 200Kb/s
USA 600kb/s but dropped rapidly to 250kb/s

is this normal?

Old 09-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Web Hosting Master

I have pointed them towards some network issues in the past as well, including a big list of MTR reports since they seemed serious about solving the problems. After that they did not get back at me however, and the problem seems to still be around.

The problem back then was as well packetloss, which would reduce transfers to 50-150K/sec even though they start at high speeds.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:00 AM
Junior Guru

Have you checked out caro.net they have 1Gbit unmetered too

Old 09-22-2009, 11:07 AM
Web Hosting Master

Probably shared, their prices are too low to be dedicated.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:18 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandrios View Post
The problem back then was as well packetloss, which would reduce transfers to 50-150K/sec even though they start at high speeds.
That problem was caused by a problem in the inhouse cabling of Easynet to one of our uplink providers and has been resolved after you reported the problem. We thank you very much for the provided data, since that helped us a lot in pinpointing the issue back then. I am very suprised to hear that our support department did not get back in touch with you however. They should have kept you up to date regarding this issue.

Unfortunately, over long distances single threaded TCP connections will see a troughput decrease. It is well known that TCP does not fully utilize the available bandwidth in fast long-distance networks. Specially over distances like from the Netherlands to Japan. But the speeds are in KiloByte/s and 1.2 megabit/s sustained per stream should be sufficient for most streaming media needs.

We have many clients in the USA, Turkey, Ukraine, Russia, Germany and Spain that totally max out their dedicated unmetered connection providing streaming media services to their customers with the server provided. Our offer is 100% dedicated unmetered, not shared in any way.

Last edited by swiftnoc; 09-22-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:36 AM
Aspiring Evangelist

1) caro.net is shared bandwidth.

2) swiftway clearly states dedicated b/w and if it was shared I would not buy it as I'm confident with the traffic I can pool, it will be a constant 800mbps+ non-stop.

I did a retest from my home computer in Hong Kong. Got fluctuatons between 300-500Kb/sec but averaged 450kb/sec or so. From the office 200Kb/s and then dropped to 150Kb/sec average. Must be a different route.

If no further negative comments here, I'll be taking 1 of these servers.