Fed up with AsmallOrange.com

I have been using them as a host for years, and have left them 3 or 4 times, but am dumb enough to keep going back.

Their servers will have outages of entire days, and at least one outage (sometimes not longer then 10 minutes or so) every 1-2 weeks.

Then, when I post on the forum asking about it, the staff has the nerve to tell me that its my responsibility to notify them when I notice its down...

I need a new stable shared web host!

Quote Originally Posted by Crath View Post
    Then, when I post on the forum asking about it, the staff has the nerve to tell me that its my responsibility to notify them when I notice its down...
    Downtime and issues do occur but I find it a tad strange they don't have some sort of internal monitoring configured.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Sorry to hear about your experiences. I'm just surprised you've been going back to them after several negative experiences. You've come to the right place to find a new host though.

How much disk space and bandwidth do you need? Also, do you have a budget in mind?

As far as I'm aware they're quite a reputable provider, so what you're describing sounds out of place. Sorry for your issues with them though.

Actually ASO used to be very reputable in the past, especially years ago. Lately I have been seeing reviews such as this, since they've become so large and likely have a stable incoming client base, they've slipped a bit in quality. This unfortunately is not uncommon.

I would agree the ASO is starting to go down a slippery slope.

Put your web site on the monitoring...
    But I suppose that better have new one. This time have a one with monitoring system. So pay attention on that while you chose new host
    Good luck

I have also heard so many good reviews about ASO. Sorry to hear your troubles and the down slope in the service quality. If some one from ASO can come here to give their part it will be better I think.

I have been using them as a host for years, and have left them 3 or 4 times, but am dumb enough to keep going back.
    That is quite interesting. I wonder how many hosting customers keep returning to the same host despite knowing it to be imperfect. In any case, I've found a domain of yours and the nameservers history of it confirms your repeated experiences with ASO.

the staff has the nerve to tell me that its my responsibility to notify them when I notice its down...
    If it's not in the TOS, they have no leg to stand on. For once, the customer can use it to his advantage. Not that it'll be of any real help.

since they've become so large and likely have a stable incoming client base, they've slipped a bit in quality. This unfortunately is not uncommon.
    That is usually how it goes. Over the years though, I found myself observing that it might also be the owner's interest that slowly fades away. For small(ish) companies, but not only for them, I find that the main and indispensable driving force behind the company, is the owner. Remove him/her completely or even partially, and the effect will be felt, often quite soon.

Cant believe you keep going back, what are your requirments? and your budget. You certainly came to the right forum.

Sorry to hear this

I used them a couple of years ago and they were quite good, but even then one or two of their servers kept crashing (luckily I was on a good shared server, then moved up to their VPS packages, before moving to KnownHost's VPSes)

It does seem like some of their servers are quite tempramental whilst others are fine - meaning most people are having fine experiences, but a minority such as yourself are then having bad experiences.

Good luck with finding a new host
    Plagiarism Guard - Protect Against Content Theft
    Tristan Perry - Personal blog

Try downtownhost, I been with them for 2 years now and they are really good. They have very affordable share plans and I run a few forums on off these plans.

Good luck.
    We work at keebu.com We built things like, 3DO!!, SNES!!, Zelda!!, GEX!!, [Gex says "where's the lizard emoji"]

Question

I can't believe they don't monitor their servers, their site (I just looked) says 99.5% uptime is guaranteed and that covers 24 hours in a month. I'd look for better uptime or something if it's been "several" days. I have watched a lot of hosts forums though because we don't do VPS and I don't know if that's what you have. But I have noticed EVERY VPS host seems to have some boxes that cause more complaints on their forums because of downtime than others-of course I have no idea why, but it does seem to be something that's universal.
    If it's not VPS their other deals don't look so impressive I would understand being drawn back especially several times after bad experiences
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well

Quote Originally Posted by ActiveForce View Post
    Cant believe you keep going back, what are your requirments? and your budget. You certainly came to the right forum.
    The following specs are the MAX that I need

1gb storage
    10 domains
    10 mysql databases
    and runs php5

Its not like im even using my host at all... my only high expectation on a host is uptime, and with the hell ive gone through with aso, its time to move on... hopefully you guys can help

My sheevaplug is in the mail, and when I get that, i'll take a wack at running sites from my house again (yes, battery backuped)

I can't believe they don't monitor their servers, their site (I just looked) says 99.5% uptime is guaranteed and that covers 24 hours in a month.
    I'm not sure what you mean. 99.5% uptime would be less than 4 hours of downtime per month. Arguably, still quite excessive, but you can't argue against something that's clearly advertised.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean. 99.5% uptime would be less than 4 hours of downtime per month. Arguably, still quite excessive, but you can't argue against something that's clearly advertised.
    if thats guaranteed, doesn't that mean since I was down for almost a full day, i get a free month? (but do i really want it? )