Cpanel help please need a temporary URL..

Okay first things first I have searched. Can't find the answer anywhere.

The scenario is like this: I have a dedicated server on which cPanel is set up. I'm not an expert, someone set it up for me, but I know how to add hosting packages and domains and accounts and things like that so I host a few sites there and a couple of friends sites.

One of my friends domains expired. He doesn't want it anymore so it's fine. But I have no way of accessing his site now, to the point where I'm pulling my hair out because I thought this would be a simple issue.

If I go to serverip/~hisusername it just redirects me to hisexpiredurl/~hisusername. Not very helpful as all I get is the landing page of the expired domain...

Where do I go from here? I can login to his cpanel and everything, I can view the stuff via file manager - but how the hell do I actually acquire a URL so that I can actually view the site without the domain?

I can't even change the main domain of his account because I have nothing to replace it with, he's taking down the site just needs a way to access it for a few more days as it's a blog and he wanted to save some entries.

Thanks.

Put, serverip hisexpireddomain inside %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts (start -> run -> paste -> enter) open the file with notepad/wordpad save close and visit hostexpireddomain.
    VPSnoc.com offers high quality Xen OpenVZ & Windows Virtual Private Servers at affordable prices.
    99.95% Uptime | 24/7/365 Support | Unmetered bandwidth.
    Follow us: twitter.com/VPSnoc

u can also take a free 3 lvl domain and assign it as alias to his hosting account , after u will be able to access it , if he has some blog based on something like drupal or wordpress u might have some problem ,<<snipped>>
    Last edited by bear; 09-21-2009 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalLinx View Post
    Put, serverip hisexpireddomain inside %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts (start -> run -> paste -> enter) open the file with notepad/wordpad save close and visit hostexpireddomain.
    Thanks, but is this the only way? I mean I have no problem instructing him on how to do that, it's just a bit of a pain since he's using his work computer now and doesn't have permission to do that stuff. I can wait for him to get home and do this, I just thought there would be an easier way, without editing system files.

Quote Originally Posted by mindruv View Post
    u can also take a free 3 lvl domain and assign it as alias to his hosting account , after u will be able to access it , if he has some blog based on something like drupal or wordpress u might have some problem ,<<snipped>>
    Yeah it's a wordpress blog Thanks though.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzSix View Post
    Yeah it's a wordpress blog Thanks though.
    Edit the wp database directly to use the account's IP rather than the domain name and you'll be set.

so after pointing the new domain ( u can take from a lot of serivces on internet ) 3 lvl domain for free .
    setup this in configuration file
    define('WP_SITEURL', 'yourdomain_here');
    define('WP_HOME', 'yourdomain_here');

u will be able to access your wp again .