Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FS - Mike View Post
    The worst thing about this is not that PoundHost leaked everyone's e-mails, but that RapidSwitch, a competitor, sent unsolicited e-mails to everyone on the list. They now face the possibility of a rather large fine.
    Well, they knew what they were doing was wrong.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Human errors often happen and though its bad for Poundhost exposing their client contact to public is something that may result in serious consequences for their own business when their competitor (Rapidswitch) is least bothered about being ethical and maintain a good reputation. A datacenter who himself spams others, is not reliable and trustworthy..

For me Rapidswitch has lost all its respect and I would never think of giving them a try or even suggesting them.

You guys are looking at this totally wrong, no-one seems to be complaining too much about Poundhost/BlueSquare breaching the DPA and instead are all going after RapidSwitch like a gang of angry dogs... I didn't get an email from RapidSwitch at all, but did get the poundhost one and Matthews's email.

Surely its not really worth worrying about that RS sent out a single email, yes taking advantage of the situation, but, it is totally Poundhost's fault they had this data in the first place, should no flames be going in their direction for this??

Quote Originally Posted by Toby H View Post
    You guys are looking at this totally wrong, no-one seems to be complaining too much about Poundhost/BlueSquare breaching the DPA and instead are all going after RapidSwitch like a gang of angry dogs... I didn't get an email from RapidSwitch at all, but did get the poundhost one and Matthews's email.

Surely its not really worth worrying about that RS sent out a single email, yes taking advantage of the situation, but, it is totally Poundhost's fault they had this data in the first place, should no flames be going in their direction for this??

Yes it's poundhost's fault that Rapidswitch got the email addresses due to a mistake on their part, however they were sending an email to their own customers all of which had given Poundhost their mailing address and consent to be emailed.

Rapidswitch were the one's who then used the email addresses to send a marketing email, in to such email, they also did not follow the rules that relate to sending such emails as there was no OPT out option.

As far as I'm concerned any reputable company should not even consider using email addresses obtained in such a way to send marketing email.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon2611 View Post
    Yes it's poundhost's fault that Rapidswitch got the email addresses due to a mistake on their part, however they were sending an email to their own customers all of which had given Poundhost their mailing address and consent to be emailed.

Rapidswitch were the one's who then used the email addresses to send a marketing email, in to such email, they also did not follow the rules that relate to sending such emails as there was no OPT out option.

As far as I'm concerned any reputable company should not even consider using email addresses obtained in such a way to send marketing email.
    Point taken regarding offering an opt out, but I've checked through... and no where when I signed up with poundhost, and I'm no longer actually a customer, did I ask to be added to this mailing list, looking back I actually notice I've only been getting these 'news letter' emails since I closed my account with them?!

Edit: I used Poundhost for personal use but we are still using poundhost/bluesquare at Evohosting, my views are mine only and are not shared by evohosting unless stated otherwise.
    Last edited by Toby H; 09-22-2009 at 06:06 AM.
    Toby
    Xeo Solutions - Discovering Innovation
    Managed Service Provider & Cloud Hosting | Launching Late August 2019

The Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations:

Electronic mail marketing messages should not be sent to individuals without their permission unless all these following criteria are met:

1. The marketer has obtained your details through a sale or negotiations for a sale.
    2. The messages are about similar products or services offered by the sender.
    3. You were given an opportunity to refuse the marketing when your details were collected and, if you did not refuse, you were given a simple way to opt out in every future communication.

The regulations do not cover electronic mail marketing messages sent to businesses.
    If you have received this unsolicited communication from RapidSwitch at your personal email address, you should complain to the Information Commissioner's Office.

Point taken regarding offering an opt out, but I've checked through... and no where when I signed up with poundhost, and I'm no longer actually a customer, did I ask to be added to this mailing list
    When you have a business relationship with a company, by default you give them the rights to contact you about very relevant things.

I'm not sure if that right persists after you have closed your account with them. It's a fairly minor transgression if not.

I think it persists up to a reasonable amount of time after the cessation of the agreement. Reasonable would be determined by a court if it were ever taken.

Much ado about nothing. I thought it was funny. So far I’ve got a couple of unsolicited emails – big deal. It was bad for Poundhost that someone should get their client list.

The Rackswitch offer (6 months free and free champagne) was interesting and I’m glad they sent it. Naughty but nice. Don’t think I could transfer everything whilst nursing a champagne hangover though. Does anyone know if you have to switch or can you just pretend to and take out another server?

I like Poundhost and someone hitting the the wrong button in Outlook one day won't change that. I mean, it’s just your email address! Half of Nigeria has my email address.

<snipped>
    Last edited by ldcdc; 09-22-2009 at 03:04 PM.

Its a nasty mistake, but also an easy one to make. Not every clerk knows the difference between cc and bcc until told, and then they have to remember the lesson.

Its unlikely to cause any real damage, so I doubt anyone got canned over it.
    VPSVille.com
    Toronto, London, Dallas, Los Angeles
    Quality VPS hosting on Premium bandwidth

We have been with Poundhost for years and the great relationship we have with them far outweighs any genuine accident such as this. Mistakes happen to everyone and so I wish them all the best through this.

On the other hand, what RapidSwitch did was no accident. Unfortunately for them, they took full advantage of the situation without thinking. Incidentally I have passed the email on to the ICO for investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcedema View Post
    We have been with Poundhost for years and the great relationship we have with them far outweighs any genuine accident such as this. Mistakes happen to everyone and so I wish them all the best through this.

On the other hand, what RapidSwitch did was no accident. Unfortunately for them, they took full advantage of the situation without thinking. Incidentally I have passed the email on to the ICO for investigation.
    Please do let us know how this progresses.

Please do let us know how this progresses.
    It probably won't, as unfortunately the ICO has about as much bite as a pillow.

Which is why I suggested Trading Standards as they enforce trading laws.

Question

RapidSwitch offer looks great. Thats 6 Months Free Dedicated Server Hosting, by far this is one of the best offers that I got form a reputed company for the last 7 years. Now I'm yet to decide, go with a spammer or stay with a company with a security breach

I’ve contacted Lord Mandelson. Sharing email addresses is at least as bad as sharing music. Poundhost and Rapidswitch will be banned from ever having an internet connection again

Imagine you’re a sales guy at Rapidswitch. You’ve suddenly been handed on a platter 1,500 email addresses signed up with your competitor. You know you could get enough commission to buy your missus a new kitchen – all you have to do is hit “Reply to All”. Its hardly shocking that someone did.

I’m tempted not to move but to pretend to move and get a half price server for a year (thus not betraying Poundhost who have always been good to me). I don’t fancy trying to copy all my stuff over after consuming the bottle of champagne. But a lovely testbed/backup/Exchange server, hmmm. Sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Junkfriend View Post
    RapidSwitch offer looks great. Thats 6 Months Free Dedicated Server Hosting, by far this is one of the best offers that I got form a reputed company for the last 7 years. Now I'm yet to decide, go with a spammer or stay with a company with a security breach
    its not that bad at all, 2000 more spam email to your inbox at least you all got a better offer

Quote Originally Posted by CheapestOil View Post
    Sharing email addresses is at least as bad as sharing music. Poundhost and Rapidswitch will be banned from ever having an internet connection again
    Doubtful, they're both potentially susceptible to hefty fines, that's all.

Which is why I suggested Trading Standards as they enforce trading laws.
    Trading standards, as far as I'm aware, do not enforce any laws at all. They're just an authority on a set of guidelines for trading and are there to offer advice on UK trading law and general practice. They have nothing to do with data protection or unsolicited marketing, and even if they offered advice on such, they couldn't do much about it.
    Exoware.net
    Professional EU/UK Web Hosting Solutions
    Linux Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting and Dedicated Server Hosting
    Excellent, personal support round the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by Exoware View Post
    Doubtful, they're both potentially susceptible to hefty fines, that's all.

Trading standards, as far as I'm aware, do not enforce any laws at all. They're just an authority on a set of guidelines for trading and are there to offer advice on UK trading law and general practice. They have nothing to do with data protection or unsolicited marketing, and even if they offered advice on such, they couldn't do much about it.
    Yes, that must depend on every country law, here in Spain at least they are pretty serious about that. I suppose is same on europe

Trading Standards (aka The Office of Fair trading) can enforce trading laws in the UK. They normally slap fines on companies/groups of companies for abusing those laws (recently they fined the building industry a few million pounds).

Consumer Direct is their advice arm for consumers, but if they need to, they can take companies to court, something the ASA can't do.

If anybody wants to complain to the Information Commisioners Office about this, they can use the form at the url below. I've had to slightly obfuscate it as this forum doesn't trust me enough yet to post urls.

https : //forms.ico.gov.uk/pecr-complaint.aspx

Expect them to take a couple of weeks to get back to you though.

I received the Poundhost, G0atse and Rapidswitch emails also. I wrote about it on my blog at https : //secure.grepular.com/blog/index.php/2009/09/21/poundhost-vs-rapidswitch/

I did a little bit of reading and I've discovered a few things:

1) The ICO won't really care, you should email RS asking them not to email you again, if they do, then and only then will the ICO be interested.

2) They might, none the less, get a slap for not including any opt-out opetion in the email, but I doubt this.

3) BlueSquare/ Poundhost may also get slapped wrists for passing on customer data, but seriously, I doubt anything will happen to either party, unless action is taken by BlueSquare against RS.

Just as a side note, I had a tour of Rapid Switch's new datacenter on Monday, which I had booked last week and the datacenter is rather nice I must say, got back to the office to find this had all kicked off, but really had already concluded that RS' facilities are quite an improment from thoes offered at PoundHost. So I would suggest that anyone who is considering the offer from RS go for a tour, it'd be worth your while.
    Toby

Anyone thinking of taking up RapidSwitch's offer should note that they have been offline for about 6 hours in the last 24. They are presently down for another 90 minutes for "router upgrade", suggesting they have a poor network design without the multiple routers that a properly engineered network has.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=892483

Pay peanuts get monkeys?

Quote Originally Posted by garrence View Post
    Anyone thinking of taking up RapidSwitch's offer should note that they have been offline for about 6 hours in the last 24. They are presently down for another 90 minutes for "router upgrade", suggesting they have a poor network design without the multiple routers that a properly engineered network has.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=892483

Pay peanuts get monkeys?
    Note, this is a Cisco software issue where the clustering on their core routers has failed along with another issue with one or more routers in the cluster causing a total failure.

We need to perform some emergency network as soon as possible. This has been scheduled for tonight, which we appreciate is very short notice. We need to reboot a router to install new software, and this reboot will take up to 45 minutes. We will do everything we can to speed up the process as much as we can and reduce the maintenance time.

Date: 24/09/2009
    Window: 23:00 for 2 hours
    Duration: < 45 minutes.

The maintenance is to perform an emergency upgrade of Cisco software. We are using a Cisco VSS-1440 as part of our network core, and we have been experiencing some reduced performance with it today. There is no cause within our network configuration and set up of this, and it started to have a detrimental effect on some clients today. We escalated this to the Cisco TAC team, who have diagnosed a fault with the software on the router in the form of a memory leak. Cisco has supplied us with a new version of the software for the router which will fix the memory leak and slow performance.

The nature of this problem is that it will escalate as time goes on, which is why we want to apply the fix as soon as core business hours finish today. Please accept our apologies for the short notice, we hope our clients appreciate this problem was out of our control caused by Cisco software, and we are working as best we can to resolve it quickly.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause, please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any queries or questions regarding this maintenance window.

Regards,

RapidSwitch Support

The above is last night, the below is their explaination of the problem:

I completely understand your concerns. I can assure that the current situation does concern us just as much and we really are as unhappy about it as you. We are working as hard as we can to resolve it and get back to our normal levels of redundancy.

We do have a second router as a part of a VSS-1440 cluster. The problem at the moment is that the VSS-1440 technology, which was released as stable by Cisco a while ago now, has exhibited problems under live load. I do understand why that doesn't fill you with confidence, however, what has actually happened here is that two discrete problems have combined to leave us in a position where a reboot of a core router will cause a break in connectivity for the site. These problems are very rare and I think I can count on one hand the number of network problems in the past that were caused by either the hardware or firmware of our Cisco equipment.

They have already provided us with an updated firmware apparently addressing the memory leak and hopefully that will end that particular problem. I'm sure they will be able to address the remaining problem just as effectively and once they do, the VSS technology should provide a very resilient point of failure. I'm sure you can understand that points of failure have to exist, its protecting against them that matters and I do wish to try and assure you that we do take this seriously. We do believe that the VSS cluster will do this once it is fully operational.

I hope this helps to explain the situation a little further. If you do have any further questions do no hesitate to come back to me.
    Toby

I didnt even know about this thread until it hit The Reg.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09...host_catfight/

Webhost Catfight...lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast