what do I need to start a hosting business?

Hello there to all, I know is a question which definitely many people asked this question, but I am thing to start my own hosting business, I was thinking to start with a reseller account but I don't know if this is a great Idea, I want to have something for my own, a web server, also I m interested in the budget, to start with a 1000 will be ok or less or more? I am bit confused but I am working on this problem, I start it a reseller account 2 years ago but I didn't had any luck with it, maybe is because my experience in marketing is not good or who knows. so if you have any advices for me please tell me.

Regards Dan,
    I wouldn't recommend sex- drinks- or Mac for everyone but they work for me.
    Programming Help, OS System Help, Articles, Videos, Tutorials, Books-Web Dot Dev http://www.webdotdev.com

Start with a reselling account with a reliable host. Most even include free billing software with their reseller accounts (such as WHMCS), a control panel (cPanel, etc) and possibly other tools. I would recommend staying with a reseller account for now because a decent dedicated server will run you about $100USD at least per month, then you need control panel licensing, and some type of billing software which could run you another $20 - $40 USD per month on top of the server.

Then I recommend brushing up on your Linux skills (if you are doing linux based hosting which is generally more popular) and the overall basics of hosting (learn and know your control panel well, ftp, mysql, etc.)

You can find a decent reseller account for about $20 - $25 a month that should give you lots of room to start with, then you can use the rest of your money to advertise / get the word out.

Wowowowowowow. Hold your horse's. Dont choose your host or what you want to host on when what they will be hosting isn't good.

You need to have a good, nice web stie to 'lure' or attact customers. That should be your 1st point. And then you think about hosting. not the other way round.
    Garbott Ltd - Professional web development & consultancy services
    Oxford.Hosting - Prestigious shared, cloud, dedicated and gaming hosting solutions.

jwebhost I know about a good website, nice template and etc, I am interested more in customer service, and also on the area where I will advertise my products, but before that I need to choose the right products and prices for them,

CoishAssociates regarding to linux skills I am not worried about that, that's why I want to start doing that hosting plan, on what I am scared a bit is on marketing, the geographical area where I will advertise my website, currently I am living In London, so I thought I will start to advertise on that area, if I will go to far away from London it will be more money to spend. But thanks for advice
    Programming Help, OS System Help, Articles, Videos, Tutorials, Books-Web Dot Dev http://www.webdotdev.com

Focusing directly on your local market is always the best way to start a company. Spend some money on flyers and business cards, post them in public places, and leave a few business cards. Anywhere you see a public cork board of sorts (grocery stores, laundry mats, etc) leave some cards. You would be surprised about how many clients you could get from these simple steps.

Also look into a partnership with a web designer, go to small local businesses and offer them a complete hosting solution to get their business online. A website, hosting for a year = $xxx and you can get great customers this way. They tend to become very loyal if you meet them face to face.

Also, look into maybe spending some money on Facebook or google ads.

The finding a niche market is really the best way to go. Focusing on the local market is a great start, maybe even find a specific community within the local market to target. Word of mouth referrals are worth more then anything else you could ever do.

Having a portfolio of websites will also help you out.
    John W, CISSP, C|EH
    MS Information Security and Assurance
    ITEagleEye.com - Server Administration and Security
    Yawig.com - Managed VPS and Dedicated Servers with VIP Service

I want to have something for my own, a web server, also I m interested in the budget, to start with a 1000 will be ok or less or more?
    Getting a dedicated server will be money thrown out the window unless you have the marketing skills to fill it up fast. Going for a budget dedicated server would be a temptation as well, given the limited funding, and that would not bode well for your service quality either.

So, the advice you got is sound. A reseller account is the way to go for most people. Some actually use multiple reseller accounts, with different providers, before consolidating on their own servers. That way you keep you eggs in different baskets, and it lets you focus on sales and customers, rather than servers' needs.

Hi!
    I have a few more suggestions..make sure the reseller account is on a real honest-to-betsy dedicated server. Sadly..there are people who think they can start a web hosting business from a vps..and it is a joke..and I'm not laughing.

If your serious..I recommend hostgator for one of your reseller accounts because of all the goodies. Heck..the whmcs license by itself would cost me almost as much as I am paying them.

Sign up for a few different accounts. This will give you some experience with different hosts. The critical thing is this: Take notes. I am sorry to report there are quite a few reseller hosts who can't even install a SSL cert properly. Yes..it's..pathetic. Get to know them..even before you signup for didly..start a dialogue. Ask questions. See if they seem to be on top of their game.

Sadly..many are really good on the sales side..but total crap on the delivery part. When you get your first few customers..start shopping for a dedi. Learn. Ask questions.

Bryon
    Last edited by bryonhost1; 09-21-2009 at 06:12 PM.
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

Hello guys, thanks for your advices, regarding to the reseller accounts, I found 2 reseller which they are based in Uk, on is fasthost.co.uk and the other one is webfusion, the difference between them is that one the monthly fee is around 30 pounds on webfusion and fasthost is 50 pounds a month, both of them have unlimited space and bandwidth, now I don't know how good is it with unlimited space and bandwidth. I am thinking to open the business In London where I live but should be something local, any way thanks again for your advices and hope it will be good, one more thing before I leave what about a billing software, how I will manage that?

Regards Dan,

Quote Originally Posted by webnetwork View Post
    Hello guys, thanks for your advices, regarding to the reseller accounts, I found 2 reseller which they are based in Uk, on is fasthost.co.uk and the other one is webfusion, the difference between them is that one the monthly fee is around 30 pounds on webfusion and fasthost is 50 pounds a month, both of them have unlimited space and bandwidth, now I don't know how good is it with unlimited space and bandwidth. I am thinking to open the business In London where I live but should be something local, any way thanks again for your advices and hope it will be good, one more thing before I leave what about a billing software, how I will manage that?

Regards Dan,
    There is no such thing like Unlimited. I would suggest to go with innohosting, they are the best reseller provider in UK.

start with nice website template also use whmcs and support your customers as well as you can or take reseller from reliable and permanent hosting provider

Now days with Social Media websites, you don't need to have a large marketing budget. Starting a web hosting company from scratch is pretty difficult. Some of the things I recommend having done before spending any large amounts of money into your business are.

1. Written business plan
    2. Custom website made and integrated with whatever control panel in use
    3. A dedicated server or colocated server running cPanel or Plesk
    4. Live support and ticket system to maintain customer service
    5. Don't give up even if you haven't got a customer in 3 months

Good luck Dan, and let me know if you have any questions feel free to pm me!
    Bobby Samai - Director of Marketing
    www.peakinternet.com 1.800.731.4871 Ext 4968 24/7 Support Center
    PEAK - Out to change the way business is being done since 1992
    Colocation | Dedicated | VPS | Shared | Broadband

nice tips.....i am looking for free billing software in local currency...

is there is any?
    RISSADUM Web Hosting:: Division of AT (Pvt) Limited
    █ Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS | Domain Name Registration | Domain Reseller
    24x7 Support | 99.9% Uptime | Web Designing & Development
    █ Follow us on Twitter @ Rissadum | on Facebook

Many reseller plans come with a professional billing software (such as WHMCS). Even if you purchase directly it is probably less than 20$ a month. If you can't afford that then my advice would be to wait a little bit before launching your business.
    HostGamma.com | HostGamma Europe | HostGamma Asia
    USA, Canada, Brazil, UK, Netherlands, HK, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Singapore and more

yea currently i cant afford this...
    i have nat made heavy investment in this but moving slow and steady...
    RISSADUM Web Hosting:: Division of AT (Pvt) Limited
    █ Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS | Domain Name Registration | Domain Reseller
    24x7 Support | 99.9% Uptime | Web Designing & Development
    █ Follow us on Twitter @ Rissadum | on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by webnetwork View Post
    Hello there to all, I know is a question which definitely many people asked this question, but I am thing to start my own hosting business, I was thinking to start with a reseller account but I don't know if this is a great Idea, I want to have something for my own, a web server, also I m interested in the budget, to start with a 1000 will be ok or less or more? I am bit confused but I am working on this problem, I start it a reseller account 2 years ago but I didn't had any luck with it, maybe is because my experience in marketing is not good or who knows. so if you have any advices for me please tell me.

Regards Dan,
    Its a great idea:-)

Start with a reseller as the investment is very less then grow into a VPS, once you start to grow and then move into a dedicated server. This should be your path laid down for growth. This path ensures that you do not over spend your capital and makes your investment sensibly.
    Blessen Cherian
    Follow me on twitter.com/blessenonly
    Over a decade plus in the Hosting Industry

You could also start with a small VPS and then add extra ram, hdd ect. as you grow.

phpcoin is a free billing software and dhcart.com they are offering $10 per year