website content change

Hello,

I am thinking how bad will be for a website to change completly the content and whole url structure.

I am thinking to change the script for a wallpaper website which will be hard to convert it with current urls. I might use some redirection rules for some urls like main categories but not for every wallpaper. Will google reindex my website? How I can avoid any problems with 404 errors, can I just redirect to the main website? Is google going to punish somehow my website because of 404 errors/redirections ?

Thanks

I think you should proceed with your content change and just link build your site again with the new changes that you've done then wait and see.

this kind of change is really bad idea, if it have lots of content and is on-line for a long time. Just think about all these links pointing to your site ;-)
    ...but if you have page rank 0, you should not worry
    blade

The funny thing is that Google won't be able to tell the wallpaper changed because it's a image (if I understand you correctly). The only problem comes when you change the text that goes with it.

I would 301 redirect to other "like" pages as close as you can and then move on. Don't throw away the hits.

Quote Originally Posted by elas View Post
    Hello,

I am thinking how bad will be for a website to change completly the content and whole url structure.

I am thinking to change the script for a wallpaper website which will be hard to convert it with current urls. I might use some redirection rules for some urls like main categories but not for every wallpaper. Will google reindex my website? How I can avoid any problems with 404 errors, can I just redirect to the main website? Is google going to punish somehow my website because of 404 errors/redirections ?

Thanks
    Changing whole content and URl structure is problem ... u will loos the ranking and also the URL ranking... But for re indexing will not face any problem... if not redirect properly u will face 404 error and this is a big issue.. Better update robot.txt and stop indexing the old URLs and also submit new sitemap

IMO, the problem with the whole website content and whole url structure change is your keyword maybe also changed.

SO i suggest u to resubmit your new sitemap to google!