Conversion tracking for phone number on a website

Hi Everyone,

I have a website that has some adwords marketing happening. The website has the phone number all over the website.

The problem is that we cannot see what keywords are getting the people to call. I was wondering if we introduce a script that showed the phone number when clicked on which would register as a conversion and the browsers information is recorded into Analytics. We could then track the keywords that are getting people to the website and calling the phone number.

Is this a good idea or am I off track?

Hi Nigel,

That would seem like the easiest way to do it, and using Analytics makes it much easier than manually trying to track it / write your own code etc.

Cheers!
    AsiaFastHosts
    CloudLinux, SolidFire SSD, cPanel
    Web Hosting | Email Hosting | Domain Registration
    Web Hosting Singapore

I think you idea is ok, but may not be the best solution. I was thinking the same thing, but my idea was a "click to call" link that opens a small window where they enter in their phone number and then the system thanks them (conversion) and calls them and you at the same time.

But I would keep in mind that most people are not going to be calling you because of the keywords. They are converting because of what they find on your site. The keywords may be bringing in more likely prospects, but if you have killer features or insane prices, you may convert even of keywords that are not so good.

The other idea that I had, was to not "hide" the phone number which may work against you in the long run, but to try sending a link to people that call you: "Would you mind if I sent you a link to a three-question survey? We value your opinion of our service!". Then you can tell them or send them the link to the survey and when the hit the page it will registrer the conversion. This will allow you to have greater control over who is converting, and you can even register different types of conversions like sales vs. leads. And the added bonus is you can get survey feedback as well. :-)

If you use Google Website Optimizer and Webmaster tools, you can actually test your site and check which page gets the most traction. It will give an idea of which keyword is working best. The SEO Samba platform has integrated the Google tools, they are free.

it's ok, but it's not a better way.

more system you can use, such as live chat.

The question is how can a person track what leads come from Google when the customer contacts the company using a phone number. If you do not understand the question, do not suggest other answers that do not apply, such as chat or othet tools that do not involve or monitor phone calls.

Thanks!

I use callmeasurement.com

You get set up with a call forwarding number and when you log into the control panel you will see how many called this number. What's great is you can even listen to the conversation when it's called through that number. Very useful tool and a great price.

How exactly does CallMeasurement.com help you with Conversion tracking for phone number on a website...???

It's the "conversion tracking" that is the issue.

Because conversion implies the user completed the action you desired. Call Measurement tells you how many people called the unique number on your website, hence a conversion. How would that not be conversion tracking?

If you read the original question, you will understand what the problem is, and it is not just how many people call from the web site.

Thanks!

If you are in the USA, get a Google Voice account, it gives you a widget to place on your site so that your visitors can connect you over the phone. Now check how you can use that widget and google voice to track keyword/call conversion.
    Vinsar.Net - Quality Web Hosting at Economical Price on USA & European Servers
    Offering domains, shared, reseller & VPS hosting.
    Reliable Domain Reseller Account Resell Domains with Confidence