Question about RACK bandwidth!

Hi,
    Im newbie and I want to buy a Rack to host my web servers, I just want to know what usually datacenters offer to monitor and metering the bandwidth for a rack?
    Thanks

Most providers will have usage stats from your account panel. Be it whatever panel they use, ubersmith, custom panel, etc.

Similar to the graph here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burstable_billing

Some places will give you a 10Mbps unmetered. Nearly every provider will give you access to your graphs. They are simply graphing the traffice on your uplink port.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTrike View Post
    Most providers will have usage stats from your account panel. Be it whatever panel they use, ubersmith, custom panel, etc.

Similar to the graph here:
    Quote Originally Posted by skullbox View Post
    Some places will give you a 10Mbps unmetered. Nearly every provider will give you access to your graphs. They are simply graphing the traffice on your uplink port.
    Thank you guys, they didn't give me anything and when I've requested they simply gave me CACTI download link, so my question is can I do it with CACTI and monitor the switch?! if yes how?!
    Thanks

Do you mind sharing who 'they' are? It's generally standard practice for a provider to grant some sort of access to bandwidth graphs. Otherwise how do they accurately bill you for bandwidth usage?

I guess you could setup CACTI on a server and monitor your switch via SNMP yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTrike View Post
    Do you mind sharing who 'they' are? It's generally standard practice for a provider to grant some sort of access to bandwidth graphs. Otherwise how do they accurately bill you for bandwidth usage?

I guess you could setup CACTI on a server and monitor your switch via SNMP yourself...
    Sure, FDCservers... any idea?... what is the best way and best software to do that?!

Take a peek here: http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/

Ubersmith pretty much does it all: http://www.ubersmith.com/ Which would usually be something that your Rack provider has, or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by blackberry_j View Post
    Hi,
    Im newbie and I want to buy a Rack to host my web servers, I just want to know what usually datacenters offer to monitor and metering the bandwidth for a rack?
    Thanks
    Blackberry_j - What location do you want to get a rack in? I'm sure we can direct you to many differnt options for your need.
    Gary Simat
    COLO@ Colocation. Perfected.
    Atlanta - Dallas - Phoenix - Weehawken - Los Angeles - Chicago
    Total Server Solutions - Servers - US Based Support - Server Management

It seems Cacti have more options than Mrtg, I'll choose Cacti.
    just one more question, Am i need to install Cacti on one of the servers on the rack, then connect to the switch via SNMP? right? am I need password or something to connect to the switch?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blackberry_j View Post
    It seems Cacti have more options than Mrtg, I'll choose Cacti.
    just one more question, Am i need to install Cacti on one of the servers on the rack, then connect to the switch via SNMP? right? am I need password or something to connect to the switch?
    thanks
    Doesn't have to be within the rack, you just need the information for the switch to hook Cacti up to it.

Cacti displays Mrtg network graphs.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzServers-J View Post
    Doesn't have to be within the rack, you just need the information for the switch to hook Cacti up to it.

Cacti displays Mrtg network graphs.
    Thanks sir, is the Cacti best one to monitor it?!

I've got weird answer, from one of their tech support:

Unfortunately, we do not give out our switch login information to customers. You should be able to use SNMP to monitor your client's bandwidth however, as long as you are willing to install an SNMP agent on each client:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_...ement_Protocol

Unfortunately I can't recommend anything directly, but this link should get you started. I imagine Cacti will be able to handle this, but I do not know for sure, as I have not used it myself.
    Is this normal?!

There are many ways of measuring your usage, but your colo will charge you based on their measuring system, running yours next to theirs is a good idea to find out if there are any issue, most of measuring mistakes are done by the colo network people who don't setup their measuring device correctly, if you notice this issue persisting I suggest then to provide them with your readings.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaber View Post
    There are many ways of measuring your usage, but your colo will charge you based on their measuring system, running yours next to theirs is a good idea to find out if there are any issue, most of measuring mistakes are done by the colo network people who don't setup their measuring device correctly, if you notice this issue persisting I suggest then to provide them with your readings.
    Thanks sir for your guidance

Is there any reason you're not using your own switch? You would then be able to poll your own switch from anywhere you wanted, within the cabinet or outside of it.

For security purposes though, I would probably put the switch on non-routable IP space and poll it locally.
    ASTUTE HOSTING: Advanced, customized, and scalable solutions with AS54527 Premium Canadian Optimized Network (Level3, PEER1, Shaw, Tinet)
    MicroServers.io: Enterprise Dedicated Hardware with IPMI at VPS-like Prices using AS63213 Affordable Bandwidth (Cogent, HE, Tinet)
    Dedicated Hosting, Colo, Bandwidth, and Fiber out of Vancouver, Seattle, LA, Toronto, NYC, and Miami

Quote Originally Posted by hhw View Post
    Is there any reason you're not using your own switch? You would then be able to poll your own switch from anywhere you wanted, within the cabinet or outside of it.

For security purposes though, I would probably put the switch on non-routable IP space and poll it locally.
    Yes, it seems the best thing is buying my own switch, but I never bought any switch before... I don't know how to choose

I would suggest getting a cisco 3500 series or a 2950 unless you need layer 3. They both can be had cheaply and there is plenty of documentation to make them easy to work with.
    James Lumby

Hi Guys,
    thanks for your recommendations... anyway I've got this switch:
    LINKSYS SRW2048

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:B:BCA:US:1123
    So how you think about it?! Is it worth for $230?

Linksys = Cheap Cisco

Just search for Cisco 3500 on ebay if that's where you are searching. They have tons of deals on used Cisco gear.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/CISCO-WS-C3548-X...d=p3286.c0.m14

HP procurves are cheap on ebay and have a next day lifetime warranty (from HP). I wouldn't run linksys or netgear stuff in my production environment.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-ProCurve-Swit...=p4295.c0.m299

If you don't need gigabit and need to save money then the Cisco 2950's are rock solid
    Last edited by jpwjpw; 09-23-2009 at 11:07 AM.

I would have to agree that I would not use netgear for my production environments either.
    James Lumby

Quote Originally Posted by jpwjpw View Post
    HP procurves are cheap on ebay and have a next day lifetime warranty (from HP). I wouldn't run linksys or netgear stuff in my production environment.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-ProCurve-Swit...=p4295.c0.m299

If you don't need gigabit and need to save money then the Cisco 2950's are rock solid
    +1 on the 2950's from Cisco, using a 24-port in my colo rack. Solid and without issues I have a 24-port netegear in my home, thats about it. I ran about 4 netgears in a business environment and threw them out because they kept having VLAN issues.

Thanks guys

+1 on the 2950 or 3500 for more advanced things. They own

+1 on 2950 and 3550. Solid, solid, solid.

We use some Netgear boxes on the back-end management network, but I would NEVER use them for public-facing traffic. One little DoS attack and you'll quickly realize why-- regardless of what their spec sheet says about switching fabric and PPS.