Hybrid View

Host comparisons for aspiring artist/programmer

I'm looking to start a blog, online portfolio of my CG/applications and to hold my resume. I'm reading O'Reilly's Creating a Website: The Missing Manual and I am doing some comparison from a small list it gave me. I am liking the looks of the first two it mentioned: Brinkster and DreamHost. I'm leaning towards Brinkster. The others such as GoDaddy seemed to have more definitive figures, but it was hard to tell which is "better" from an experienced end-user's standpoint.

I am still a novice in web development. I intend to start a digital business, and I am willing to learn how to write web programs. I intend to offer freelance artistic and programming services, and I would like to use lovely flash animation such as those you would see on sites promoting a modern video game. Again, I have enough free time to learn about as much as I need to.

Any advice with the above information in mind would be much appreciated.

Cheers!
    -Zyro
    Last edited by zyrolasting; 09-20-2009 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Forgot some tidbits.

Well I don't hear good things about GoDaddy.

As for dreamhost, havn't heard anyhting bad about them in a while, so could try it.

Though maybe try some looking at some other host as well. What is your budget, storage, bandwidth requirements (to your best guess)?
    bihira.com | 10+ Years of Web Hosting Experience!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    cPanel | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Softaculous
    Find us on facebook and follow us on twitter @bihira

I have several people who have been happy with my work that I know are willing to spread the word about me, and given that I have a sizable portfolio, I'd need more space and bandwidth than the average novice.

Looking at my figures (I know I'll have some users immediately given connections), may likely use about 150MB BW a day.
    (Assuming 15 users each downloading 25 400K images) However, I make new images quickly so this may go up reasonably fast.

Quote Originally Posted by zyrolasting View Post
    I'm looking to start a blog, online portfolio of my CG/applications and to hold my resume. I'm reading O'Reilly's Creating a Website: The Missing Manual and I am doing some comparison from a small list it gave me. I am liking the looks of the first two it mentioned: Brinkster and DreamHost. I'm leaning towards Brinkster. The others such as GoDaddy seemed to have more definitive figures, but it was hard to tell which is "better" from an experienced end-user's standpoint.

I am still a novice in web development. I intend to start a digital business, and I am willing to learn how to write web programs. I intend to offer freelance artistic and programming services, and I would like to use lovely flash animation such as those you would see on sites promoting a modern video game. Again, I have enough free time to learn about as much as I need to.

Any advice with the above information in mind would be much appreciated.

Cheers!
    -Zyro
    Whatever host you choose make sure you go for a monthly or quarterly payment option, instead of an annual one, so that you can test the service before making a commitment. You should also know that definitive figures that are extremely high are questionable, and simply no different than "unlimited". Otherwise it seems the web hosting industry is your candy store, with lots of options to choose from, so make sure to explore them as well.

so make sure to explore them as well.
    Ok, but to what extent? What features (other than the obvious) should I watch out for?

Ok, but to what extent? What features (other than the obvious) should I watch out for?
    Well for maximum flexibility it's recommended your host have cPanel, which is the industry standard and will aid with moving and upgrading should you need to. Some hosts (like DreamHost and GoDaddy) have their own custom panels, though that shouldn't discourage you from considering them. Otherwise it depends on how much you're willing to pay and your specific needs, as long as the resources and the prices advertised are realistic. Most hosts do offer the basics though. There is an offers section on this forum where you can find many great options.

Thank you very much! That info will come in handy.

EDIT: By the way, I noticed you guys have not mentioned brinkster. Is something about it suspicious, or have we hit the point where I should make up my mind on a host anyway? It does offer cPanel. I'm still liking the looks of it, and it may be the host I choose. Do any of you have experiences with this particular host to share?
    Last edited by zyrolasting; 09-20-2009 at 08:32 PM.

EDIT: By the way, I noticed you guys have not mentioned brinkster. Is something about it suspicious, or have we hit the point where I should make up my mind on a host anyway? It does offer cPanel. I'm still liking the looks of it, and it may be the host I choose. Do any of you have experiences with this particular host to share?
    You may do the research for them personally. If they are not new I suppose simple doing the search for their domain name will help you

Never heard of brinkster, as for 150MB/day you should do well with just about any solid provider.

Check the offers section:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

See a host that peaks your interest, just do a quick search on the forum, google, etc to find out more.

Because some of us do not know them, Have never heard of them or have never had experience with them, Does not mean they are suspicious.

With a WHOIS Lookup it seems they have been around since the year 2000!
    So I would not doubt them, Though do make sure to do some research into them and read some reviews.

Perhaps, Go a little further and send them some pre-sales questions and move from there
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

Well, thank you guys so much for the help.
    I think I can take it from here.

Cheers!
    -Zyro

Well, thank you guys so much for the help.
    I think I can take it from here.

Cheers!
    -Zyro
    Good Luck Zyro.

Please do let us know on a follow up message on how you go!

-Sean
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

Good luck with your search -Zyro