SSH - Access Denied

Hello,

Okay, so I was installing a game panel to manage my server, but one of the staff members said to add this line to my sshd_config because the panel could not login to ssh to start the server:

Code:
    AllowUsers *@MYIPHERE
    I did change it to my IP, but after restarting SSH, I can't login as Root, is there a way I can edit the sshd_config, without needing the DataCenter to do it?

Thanks,
    Archey

Without getting into the server as root, you cannot edit your sshd_config.
    Ezeelogin -
    The ultimate multiple server administration software.
    *Parallel shell *rm -rf protection *SSH logging*automated password changes*encrypted storage*
    AdMod.com -Delivering innovative web hosting solutions

Quote Originally Posted by Rekhatitus View Post
    Without getting into the server as root, you cannot edit your sshd_config.

Is there a way, like instead of filezilla, or using putty? Would i get access denied if i tried web ftp? could someone on a different computer get into it?

You cant get to it with filezilla. can your host hook up a kvm for an hour so you can change the setting?
    mainstreamnetworks.net
    Instant vps setup
    Cpanel/WHM Direct Admin

Quote Originally Posted by mainstreamnet View Post
    You cant get to it with filezilla. can your host hook up a kvm for an hour so you can change the setting?
    I am trying to do it without the DC's help, but if that the last resort i will.

If you have Cpanel on your server then you can reset SSH settings from WHM.

Login to your WHM using http://serverip:2086 and then paste the following URL in the new tab of same browser.

http://serverip:2086/scripts2/doauto...safesshrestart

Note: make sure that you have replace the "serverip" in the above links with actual server IP address.

If there is other control panel then DC can only help you.

Quote Originally Posted by srvadmin View Post
    If you have Cpanel on your server then you can reset SSH settings from WHM.

Login to your WHM using http://serverip:2086 and then paste the following URL in the new tab of same browser.

http://serverip:2086/scripts2/doauto...safesshrestart

Note: make sure that you have replace the "serverip" in the above links with actual server IP address.

If there is other control panel then DC can only help you.
    Okay, well my cpanel/whm is down right now but when it's up ill try that, but i see in the url it just restarts it?

Is telnet available? Normally it's off but for a short period of time you could turn it on and log in that way. Your firewall has to allow port 23.

You should change your password right after that since a telnet session is in the clear.

If you have Cpanel or some other admin program on there you should be able to use the "Java Console" or something like that to do a simulated (via your browser) terminal login.

You need to eventually turn off direct root login, please see the many server security tutorials available online.

Quote Originally Posted by archey View Post
    Hello,

Okay, so I was installing a game panel to manage my server, but one of the staff members said to add this line to my sshd_config because the panel could not login to ssh to start the server:

Code:
    AllowUsers *@MYIPHERE
    I did change it to my IP, but after restarting SSH, I can't login as Root, is there a way I can edit the sshd_config, without needing the DataCenter to do it?

Thanks,
    Archey
    There is no way to edit the sshd configuration file other than having a KVM hooked up to it and booting the server in a single usermode. With the following

AllowUsers *@MYIPHERE

you have made sure only the user 'MYIPHERE' has SSH access to your server and no one else. So you will have to boot the server in a single user mode and remove the 'AllowUsers' line from the sshd configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by madaboutlinux View Post
    There is no way to edit the sshd configuration file other than having a KVM hooked up to it and booting the server in a single usermode. With the following

AllowUsers *@MYIPHERE

you have made sure only the user 'MYIPHERE' has SSH access to your server and no one else. So you will have to boot the server in a single user mode and remove the 'AllowUsers' line from the sshd configuration.
    Okay, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by archey View Post
    Okay, well my cpanel/whm is down right now but when it's up ill try that, but i see in the url it just restarts it?
    Yes, but it starts the SSH server in safe mode to troubleshoot the problems.

Quote Originally Posted by srvadmin View Post
    Yes, but it starts the SSH server in safe mode to troubleshoot the problems.
    Well then I'll be sure to bookmark this topic and try it! So what do I do after
    Ii go to the link?

Thanks

the conflicts like iptables may jail you from the server. You should contact dc.............then try to analyze what happened from logs

Quote Originally Posted by ianeeshps View Post
    the conflicts like iptables may jail you from the server. You should contact dc.............then try to analyze what happened from logs
    I know what happened.