Just starting up, is VPS right for me?

Hello everyone,

After many months of flash, photoshop and dreamweaver, I finally have the skill to construct a good website. I also have my first customers meanwhile and it`s time to put them online. Domains are registered, sites are ready...

I`m looking to get hosting for 5-10 sites, half of them will be flash. I need advice please..

- is vps the right choice?

- some hosts break down their offers in shares (eg gandi and a few others), how many websites could I allocate to such a share?

- my customers are local businesses, their sites arn`t too extensive but I would like fast and crisp loading.

Mediatemple, Gandi, 1and1..what do you guys think?

Regards,

Nick

A small VPS may be the right choice for you, especially since you'll be able to configure the system to suit your website's requirements and provide you with an isolated environment. A shared/reseller hosting account will not give you that freedom.

If you're looking for a VPS with a control panel and management services, that will bring the price up in comparison to just a simple shared hosting account. You can view the offers section to get an idea of prices and see if it's cost effective to purchase a VPS from the beginning. You should also get a quick overview of the various virtualization platforms available as not all providers are the same.
    -M

A VPS would be an overkill for what you are looking for, sounds like a reseller account will be perfect for you.
    a VPS will be suitable if you *really* need dedicated resources ( RAM / CPU ) for your sites, along with full control on the whole server modules/OS setup.

if you are down with all the technical aspects of manageing a VPS server, it could be a nice choise, you never know when you will need the resources.

but the best idea would be to go with a reseller account and let the webhost deal with the techie/linux/backend setups for you, and it will even be cheaper.

Thank you Makos, thank you Beastserv...I think thats some good advice. I will sit back down in the morning with a coffee and read it through again, then make my order. I`m so eager to get everything up and running thx guys :-)
    Last edited by Hare; 09-20-2009 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hare View Post
    Thank you Makos, thank you Beastserv...I think thats some good advice. I will sit back down in the morning with a coffee and read it through again, then make my order. I`m so eager to get everything up and running thx guys :-)
    You are more then welcome, that's the reason WHT is here for :-)

The best way to find out which is better for you is to find a reputable reseller that offers a 30 day no questions asked money back guarantee. Test the sites out on it.. Do they run nice? Are they Crisp? and so on. If your happy stay, if your not, explain to the host and request your money back or upgrade to a VPS if they offer them.

Hi!
    You must understand a vps is not ideal for all situations. Shared is typically faster..much faster in many cases. The downside is control.

VPS's should never be used for production. Their page response times are very, very high compared to a real dedicated server.

It has been my experience to email hosts beforehand. Be very clear with your needs...and start a dialogue. I would stay away from the big names and their yearly contracts. I am a happy hostgator customer, though...just too many goodies to kick the process off included with the reseller account.

Another thing to consider unix and windows hosts are very different...and that should be taken into account. I have both..but..this is not a common practice. Windows 2008 server is very interesting indeed..although I have not had time to learn how the feature delegation works.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by bryonhost1 View Post
    Hi!
    You must understand a vps is not ideal for all situations. Shared is typically faster..much faster in many cases. The downside is control.

VPS's should never be used for production. Their page response times are very, very high compared to a real dedicated server.

It has been my experience to email hosts beforehand. Be very clear with your needs...and start a dialogue. I would stay away from the big names and their yearly contracts. I am a happy hostgator customer, though...just too many goodies to kick the process off included with the reseller account.

Another thing to consider unix and windows hosts are very different...and that should be taken into account. I have both..but..this is not a common practice. Windows 2008 server is very interesting indeed..although I have not had time to learn how the feature delegation works.

Bryon
    Do not use a VPS for production?? Why would you ever say that? I am not sure what VPS technology you are using but most are just fine for production. If you have a VPS on an unloaded server that is properly setup there is virtually no performance difference.

The big thing with a VPS is you have to be able to manage it yourself, if you don't want to get into any sort of sys admin then either hire and admin, go with a managed host, or go with a reseller.
    John W, CISSP, C|EH
    MS Information Security and Assurance
    ITEagleEye.com - Server Administration and Security
    Yawig.com - Managed VPS and Dedicated Servers with VIP Service

Hi!
    Right. No performance difference? I've seen huge performance differences..hence my nice collection of reseller accounts.

I'm not going to waste time with yet another discussion..use what you want.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

I recommend VPS as well, I used to have a reseller account with hostgator, after a year, the server got much slower (even cpanel/whm).

A small VPS should fit your needs fairly well. Take a look at the VPS offers forum.

I agree start with a small VPS and upgrade once needed.

Cheers.

Like some of you have suggested I have a VPS to try out for a few weeks. I`m still busy setting it up (only because I choose manual) but I hope to have it ready very soon.

I think the option of cpanel is definatly the way forward, I want to be able to manage the server myself and not have to wait for support. (eg reboot, reinstall, add shares..etc)

Overall though I havn`t really got a site up and running, but when I do my first task will be to benchmark it so I can compare what I am getting and paying for..

I will keep you posted... btw at the moment I`m stuck on a imagick error which I posted more recently. But as you all know persistence will prevail!

Quote Originally Posted by Hare View Post
    Like some of you have suggested I have a VPS to try out for a few weeks. I`m still busy setting it up (only because I choose manual) but I hope to have it ready very soon.

I think the option of cpanel is definatly the way forward, I want to be able to manage the server myself and not have to wait for support. (eg reboot, reinstall, add shares..etc)

Overall though I havn`t really got a site up and running, but when I do my first task will be to benchmark it so I can compare what I am getting and paying for..

I will keep you posted... btw at the moment I`m stuck on a imagick error which I posted more recently. But as you all know persistence will prevail!
    Alright keep us updated...

Cheers

Reseller Account or a share hosting allowing you add more domains will do. You do not need a VPS.
    Internet Brothers Asia*SEOUL South Korea Since 1999
    http://www.internetbrothers.co.kr Business Registration 134-11-18207
    ▇ ASIA KOREA Web Hosting with English Support focusing on International clients in/out of Korea
    KVM,VMware, XEN VPS, shared hosting , Dedicated Servers physically located in South Korea