Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Medialayer review almost 2 years

I am so overwhelmed by the quality of hosting provided by Medialayer, that I decided to review them after being almost 2 years on their servers. My "bread and butter" website is hosted on their server and all I experienced in these 2 years was sheer quality, stability and prompt customer support (very rarely required).

It is a saying that you get what you pay for, and it shows. Medialayer is not one of those hosts with "unlimited everything" plans for $3 a month. I am on their starter shared plan which is $9.95 a month with 500 mb of space and 10Gb bandwidth. Some may find that costly, but believe me, it is worth every cent.

Uptime: Excellent. I have never seen my website down or someone complaining about it. No downtime experienced whatsoever till now.

Speed: Rocket fast. Scripts execute rocket fast too.

Ease of use: Excellent. They provide direct admin (instead of cpanel) and never faced any problem with that either.

Customer support: Blink of an eye, round the clock. I am from the opposite part of the world (GMT +5.5) and at 11 AM my time, I get instant response to a support ticket if opened. Secondly, they go above and beyond, - I had a problem with one of my php scripts and these guys studied the script and pointed out the flaw (which might have been harmful) if not rectified.

I will be more than happy to let anyone know my website, mods please let me know how do I prove the authenticity of the review, with my website. These guys deserve a lot more than just a review.

Conclusion: The best host so far I have got. In these aspect I must tell you, I have 3 more hosting service providers, Medialayer smokes them apart. And my personal thanks to Gurpreet Virdi via this forum for running such a tight ship consistently. I believe, the success of a website business depends on the hosting heavily, so Medialayer folks - it has been my pleasure to stay with you all these time and thank you for everything.

Awesome review! Good job on medialayer for providing such excellent service.

Not a surprise at all.. pretty sure I've only ever seen glowing reviews on ML.
    mirACL: firewalls in software.

You need to confirm your review by either posting the domain hosted at MediaLayer or by reporting your post (by clicking here) and including your domain hosted there.

It's good to see a good review, they don't come as often as they should in my opinion.

The site on his WHT profile is at ML
    mirACL: firewalls in software.

Quote Originally Posted by quantumphysics View Post
    Yes it does seem to be hosted with ML.
    Kudos to the ML team for having such a satisfied client.
    Aspiration Hosting | The Managed Cloud Server with Auto Failover
    High Availability Pure SSD CDN & Backups Included Magento Optimized

NoFrillsReseller.com | Budget Reseller Hosting + 24x7 Live Chat Support

Great to see you're happy over at ML! I'll echo what's already been said - I haven't seen any kind of negative review about their service in the past. Congratulations ML!
    Theo Robertson | vividWire | Solid IT solutions for business
    vividWire VPS - Low-latency London, UK VPS based in Telehouse North, SSD RAID10 storage & KVM virtualisation
    vividWire Shared Hosting - Performance UK hosting with cPanel, CloudLinux, CloudFlare, 99.99% SLA

Good to hear, I have always been interested in trying ML.

I've always heard nothing but good things about MediaLayer! Yay for another DA host. We need more of them!
    hostingDifferent---We're hostingDifferent.
    Premium, Managed and DIY WordPress hosting DONE RIGHT.
    Find out what SERVICE really means!--We're hostingDifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by FS - Mike View Post
    You need to confirm your review by either posting the domain hosted at MediaLayer or by reporting your post (by clicking here) and including your domain hosted there.

It's good to see a good review, they don't come as often as they should in my opinion.
    Just submitted my domain with reference to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by quantumphysics View Post
    Yes indeed!

i have a hosting plan with medialayer.com 19,9 usd per month for nearly 1 year,i am not in the same idea with you when it comes to support.

let me give you some examples,

1- one day,someone send me aprox. 200emails to my contact form,i told them(by email with my iphone) that i am outside the office and requested them to block this ip to access to my site.they tell me how to do it by a htaccess file,but i know nothing about these things,and even i was mobile at that moment,and i have no chance to access to my admin panel.
    they refused to do it.

2- one day ,i made some changes in my script ,and my site gave error.i tried to recover it by r1 soft backup ,but i wasnot successfull,i need help from them they tell me to do it from admin panel on my own,they refused to do it.
    they didnot even try to do it,they said that it is not their business.
    and there wasnot a proper backup file in the r1 soft because they were making some kind of revision in the backup system.

here is the email they sent to me below;

* The backups that were used to recover your index file earlier today are primarily kept in the event of total system failure -- this also means that you are responsible for keeping your own set of backups either within your account or off-server for day to day restores. However, we've, on numerous occasions suplemented your own backups (or lack thereof) with our backups when we were not required to. Furthermore, you have access to the backup system on your own to restore content as required without our intervention, which was also affected by the aforementioned issue (which is now resolved). In the future, if you need files restored - please try using the self-serve options prior to contacting support.*

and when i kindly try to tell them that they should give me this kind of support they wrote me this :

*they wrote : I just wanted to clarify a few things for you:

1. We do not appreciate your tone of voice and attitude when dealing with a company that is actively trying to help you and resolve your issue - that is completely uncalled for. If you approach us with this level of hostility in the future, we will be forced to sever our business relationship with you as we cannot accept harassment from our own customers.

as a conclusion , while i was trying to get support ,i was blamed for requesting support.

lastly ,other than this problem ,i never faced any diffuculty with them.their hosting is good.

if you are not familiar with ,changing files,connect with ftp,or make some changes from direct admin ,you may face some diffuculties with medilayer.com.

i hope they dont close my account after this review )

inci,

It is not the host's responsibility to restore your files because you deleted, accidently modified or "broke" your website. It is especially not the host's responsibility to continue restoring your site multiple times because you messed up. MediaLayer uses DirectAdmin and creating a backup of your website is super easy! Literally all you have to do is press the Create Backup button when creating, and select the date to restore if you ever need to do so. Unfortunately, it seems that your incompetency is the reason why you're having issues at MediaLayer, and is no fault of their own.

Quote Originally Posted by sgarbus View Post
    inci,

It is not the host's responsibility to restore your files because you deleted, accidently modified or "broke" your website. It is especially not the host's responsibility to continue restoring your site multiple times because you messed up. MediaLayer uses DirectAdmin and creating a backup of your website is super easy! Literally all you have to do is press the Create Backup button when creating, and select the date to restore if you ever need to do so. Unfortunately, it seems that your incompetency is the reason why you're having issues at MediaLayer, and is no fault of their own.
    i am not in the same idea with you.
    if i broke my website ,and cant restore from backup,i think the hosting company must help.
    other than this,i push the restore button but the files are not restored.i tried it.
    also there wasnot enough restoring options because the r1 system was not working properly at the moment.

so are you saying that ,in medialayer and in your hosting company Precision Effect ,these kind of support issues are not covered ?

I think it'd give a better picture of you posted the full conversation and not just their replies which by the way were written in a professional manner.

From the replies, it sounded as if you expected medialayer to be managing your account when its your responsibility as the webmaster to do so. I could be wrong if their backup system was indeed broken as you stated, then ML would be required to provide support in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Zsev View Post
    I think it'd give a better picture of you posted the full conversation and not just their replies which by the way were written in a professional manner.

From the replies, it sounded as if you expected medialayer to be managing your account when its your responsibility as the webmaster.
    i am not a webmaster,i am just a client who has a website.
    i may not know ,blocking ip from htacess file
    i may not know restoring from last backup

again i think that these issues can easily be done by hosting support.

otherwise ,managed hosting will be something like an unmanaged hosting.

am i wrong ?

by the way i asked some presales questions to some of the hosting companies ,i asked these things i faced, and they told me that,these issues can be fixed by them,if they are not lying.

aritrim,

Thanks for your review.

inci,

First, I am sorry that you are not happy with the level of support. We strive to always go above and beyond and do our best to assist with all issues, but there is a line to be drawn between a hosting company and a client's respective responsibilities. It honestly pains me to have to say this, but you have not been very professional in your dealings with us, and we have been subject to quite a bit of abuse in these tickets, and at the same time, you were expecting us to go beyond the scope of standard hosting support. Regardless, we did assist you in doing several backup restores (and when there was a problem with our automated system which you have access to, we went ahead and did the restore on our own).

As far as modifying your .htaccess file, you were supplied with a link showing you exactly how to do this. It is a matter of copy and pasting the syntax, and adding the IP addresses you wish to block. This can all be done from your side, and does not require any server-side changes. We cannot block the IP addresses in our own firewalls, as that would disallow the IP addresses from reaching all customer sites on the system (not just your own). Without this policy, legitimate IP addresses could be blocked in a lot of situations. Using a deny list in .htaccess is a perfect solution for this instead, which is something you can do on your own. I understand that at the time of making this request, you were mobile, but that doesn't put the responsibility of maintaining your site on your host.

Hope this clarifies...
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Quote Originally Posted by inci View Post
    i am not a webmaster,i am just a client who has a website.
    i may not know ,blocking ip from htacess file
    i may not know restoring from last backup

again i think that these issues can easily be done by hosting support.

otherwise ,managed hosting will be something like an unmanaged hosting.

am i wrong ?

by the way i asked some presales questions to some of the hosting companies ,i asked these things i faced, and they told me that,these issues can be fixed by them,if they are not lying.
    I believe the "support" in a shared host refers to their commitment to providing help when there is an issue with their hosting service e.g your IP gets banned from accessing your admin panel, or when ffmpeg isn't working or if mysql is down etc.

Hosts may help you configure your site during the initial setup, but you are responsible for maintaining it afterwards. Your are the client of their hosting and the webmaster of your own site - learn to use the control panel, directadmin in this case is dead simple to use. If IP blocking with htaccess is something you're not familiar with, then google for a solution, it'll only take a minute

Quote Originally Posted by Zsev View Post
    If IP blocking with htaccess is something you're not familiar with, then google for a solution, it'll only take a minute
    I needed the exact same thing just 2 days ago, ML sent me a link of a webpage which was quite easy to follow and all I did was modify my .htaccess file, pasted 2 lines of code and it was done!

The best a support can go is help you out with proper guidance, but it is your duty to implement them.

I agree with MediaLayer here. As hosts we try to go above and beyond your expectations in assisting you with your hosting, but maintaining your website can lead to misunderstandings and issues. If the host were to do something wrong in maintaining your website, we would be liable. The problem with maintaining a website when it's not yours or you aren't the webmaster hired from the beginning, is that you are not familiar with all of the intricacies of your code. Doing something simple like modifying your htaccess file can cause issues with some other underlying code that we may not be familiar with.

If you are in need of webmaster services, there are some great web masters that would be more than willing to take you on as a client. But as MediaLayer has said, there has to be a line to be drawn here. Every web site is different and constructed differently and too many cooks spoil the broth.

we've, on numerous occasions suplemented your own backups (or lack thereof) with our backups when we were not required to. Furthermore, you have access to the backup system on your own to restore content as required without our intervention, which was also affected by the aforementioned issue (which is now resolved).

these things happenned because i havenot got enough knowledge about using the control panel.
    even medialayer helped me after this issue,the problem is i was angry at the moment when they told me how to do it.but then i saw that it is somewhat easy.

other than this issue,i have websites over 6 years,i hosted my websites with many hosting companies.i must say that medialayer is the best.i am using medialayer for almost 1 year,and i have a site monitoring software,the uptime and connection speeds are always perfect with medialayer.

Many Thanks to Medialayer team.

After reading this thread, I cannot help but think that the more you give your customers, the more they come to expect.

Good to see that things have been cleared up though, and that the quality of server management is undisputed.

I agree. They do come to expect much more!

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful review mate. I can measure the satisfaction as a customer from your words. Congrats to ML. Keep us updated in future.

Quote Originally Posted by iHubNet-Matt View Post
    Thanks for sharing such a wonderful review mate. I can measure the satisfaction as a customer from your words. Congrats to ML. Keep us updated in future.
    I will definitely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast