Thread: SCSI or IDE?

SCSI or IDE?

Is there a big difference in a SCSI drive over IDE on a Linux server?

If so, how much?

If you had to choose either a 9gig SCSI or a 40gig IDE (same price) which would you choose?

The big difference between then is with biger files (file>1gb), if you work with files with this size I sugest you to use SCSI.

You need to say more then 9gig scsi for 40gig ide, there is more to it then just that
    Chicago Electronic Cigarettes: Tobacco Free, Smoke Free. 3 E-Cig Models, 11 flavors, and accessories.
    http://www.chicago-ecigs.com

I am saying that all else is the same on the server, the only difference being a SCSI drive or IDE.

is that what you mean?

I mean stuff like the speed and if its hot swipeable, stuff like that incresses costs and value
    Chicago Electronic Cigarettes: Tobacco Free, Smoke Free. 3 E-Cig Models, 11 flavors, and accessories.
    http://www.chicago-ecigs.com

Depends on how you intend to use it. if you were going to run a busy mail server - I would pick the SCSI. If you were going to host client web sites that were static, I would take the IDE.

Chet

SCSI is at least 28% faster!

The fastest EIDE drive is 7200RPM and SCSI starts at 10K.

It depends upon your needs to know if SCSI is better. If you don't need much hard drive space (ie a 9GB is enough), I would go SCSI. If you need lots of hd space, SCSI becomes much more costly.

If your application goes to the drive for data often, definately go SCSI (ie databases). If you are serving static web pages, doesn't really matter.
    Brad @ Xiolink
    XIOLINK. Your data...always within reach.
    http://www.xiolink.com
    1-877-4-XIOLINK [+01 314 621 5500]

All my servers have dual SCSI hard drives as they are much more reliable. Althought they may be 3X as much money, it really is worth it.
    Download my eBook + Videos: Starting your own successful web hosting company.
    Learn from a web host with 7 years of experience.

SCSI

SCSI hands down- I wouldn't use an ide drive in servers unless I didn't care about multi user performance..

JDT

Originally posted by [email protected]
    SCSI is at least 28% faster!

The fastest EIDE drive is 7200RPM and SCSI starts at 10K.
    Your math is wrong 10000 is 39% more than 7200. Also, there are definitely SCSI drives at 7200 RPM (and at 5400 RPM until recently). And rotational speed is only one factor in overall performance.

But your other point, that for Web content it really doesn't matter, is completely true. Moreover, if you're running a decent operating system and have plenty of RAM for its automated disk caching, your drive will be idle anyhow.

Kevin

Originally posted by sigma

Your math is wrong 10000 is 39% more than 7200. Also, there are definitely SCSI drives at 7200 RPM (and at 5400 RPM until recently). And rotational speed is only one factor in overall performance.

I'd just like to point out that rotation speeds have little to do with what the drives can actually do in terms of transfer per second.... usually means less latency (seek time)

For instance, I have a handfull of compaq u160 scsi drives. Theoretically these drives should be able to burst to 160MB/s, however these drives are actually made by IBM (Ultrastar), they really only can do sustained transfer of around 30MB/s, which a lot of 7200rpm IDE drives can do as well...

If you're going scsi, I suggest looking at the white papers of the drives you want to buy and see what their *sustained* transfer is, and try to find one with the lowest latency.

Also... just for people who think of scsi and think "faster", there's much more to scsi than generally being faster than IDE. The logic boards on scsi drives do a lot of error checking and other things relating to data integrity... some even have a sort of AI for read-ahead caching (what's most likely to be read at a given time is cached, greatly boosting performance...)

The big difference between then is with biger files (file>1gb), if you work with files with this size I sugest you to use SCSI.
    I noticed a huge difference when generating ~250 html files with a perl script first on a SCSI server and then on a more-powerful-CPU IDE server - the SCSI server allowed the files to write almost 50% faster than on the 7200 RPM IDE server.

Is the SCSI drive a 10k drive?

SCSI drives also tend to have more cache - 8 MB is common on SCSI drives (Atlas 10k II/III for example) whereas most IDE drives have 2 MB cache or less.

Also keep in mind that when you fill many drives beyond the mid-point performance starts to go down at some point. So if you're thinking of filling the 9 GB drive to 8 GB you'll be sacrificing some performance. This isn't true for all drives, but most.

If you can fit everything in 4-5 GB then I would go for the 9 GB SCSI. At the same time, I would ask about upgrade costs to an 18 GB 10K SCSI drive - that is what I would choose for performance (unless you don't anticipate generating more than 5 GB of data including logs)
    Dedicated Servers at Steadfast Networks and Softlayer : Virutal Hosting at FutureQuest : VPS at FutureHosting

Originally posted by panopticon

I noticed a huge difference when generating ~250 html files with a perl script first on a SCSI server and then on a more-powerful-CPU IDE server - the SCSI server allowed the files to write almost 50% faster than on the 7200 RPM IDE server.
    Of course, with decent write-caching such as softupdates, you'll see zero difference.

There are new IDE drives now with 8MB cache and 3-year warranty.

Kevin

Of course, with decent write-caching such as softupdates, you'll see zero difference.
    More info please...
    Dedicated Servers at Steadfast Networks and Softlayer : Virutal Hosting at FutureQuest : VPS at FutureHosting