Thread: IRC

IRC

Hi,

I've noticed in all of the Terms of Services I've looked in that, they all say:

Resource Usage
    User may not
    Run any software that interfaces with an IRC (Internet Relay Chat) network.
    Are there any companys that allow this with Shared Hosting or would I need something else?
    Site Hosted with: EZPZ Hosting.co.uk.
    Great Shared Hosting, Good Support. +++

most providers do not allow IRC as it causes DDOS attacks, but I assume there's someone out there that does.
    StableHost .:. Unlimited web hosting done right. Experience the unlimited difference.
    PingThat .:. Is your website down? Find out now with our QuickChecker technology.

Normally you'd need to purchase a shared hosting plan + an IRC hosting plan. Most serious providers will never mix the two due to the risks.
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ www.fiberpeer.com

I figured. All I would be doing that would be on IRC is allowing me and a couple of friends to have custom vHosts, and possibly a couple of IRC Bouncers. But It isn't worth spending 60 a month for a server.

Most Webhosting Providers do not allow IRC usage as it is a haven for Hackers, Spammers, Scammers and is very prone to attacks and viruses.

So, You won't find too many hosts that will allow you to use IRC on their networks.

Normally you'd need to purchase a shared hosting plan + an IRC hosting plan. Most serious providers will never mix the two due to the risks.
    Guess this is why most do not have the offers on their websites
    Last edited by Sparrow-Sean; 09-19-2009 at 11:33 PM.
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee

Hmm, I see.

serverorigin, do you know any IRC Hosting Providers by any chance?

Thanks.

You should look for a small dedicated server, even a low end machine will be good for the job, as for hosting only for irc?, long time since i seen a host that allows such usage, try going on efnet and ask someone with a host where did he get the shell from :-)
    beast5.com - Managed Hosting Solutions 2004 - 2016

The cheapest I found was $80/month. Which is way over my price, and I wouldn't even need more than half of it.

I am not sure if this is what you are after, I found this via Google: http://www.sh3lls.net/ircd_plan.htm

Please do not take my note on this, No experience but it seems to be 1 of the many webhosts that allow IRC and Proxy Hosting etc...

-Sean
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee

You're probably better off just creating your own channel on a pre-existing IRC server. IRC servers are huge magnets for DDoS attacks for some reason and even worse than that they are commonly used as botnet command and control centers which will cause your IPs to be blocked by many transit providers in a hurry.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

For IRC hosting you probably want to go with a VPS, i don't think i've ever seen a shared hosting company that allows it (but i could definitely be wrong)

IRC for the service of its own VPS obtain the most logical

If it is just a few psybnc's or an IRCD why on earth you want a server? google for shell accounts, there are a huge amount going from 3$ per process, and about 8$ for a small IRCD

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    You're probably better off just creating your own channel on a pre-existing IRC server. IRC servers are huge magnets for DDoS attacks for some reason and even worse than that they are commonly used as botnet command and control centers which will cause your IPs to be blocked by many transit providers in a hurry.
    Our channel is on a pre-existing IRC server, however. I am looking to be able to use custom vHosts, and BNC's maybe. But just the first one is what I want really.

Before I moved over to my a dedi for my irc server I used sh3lls.net, I still have an account with them too running a few bots on.

They've always been great, good price, nice people who run it, lots of machines/locations to choose from.
    ClanDrive Hosting | The No Fuss Webhost
    Shared & Reseller * Seattle - West Coast * LiteSpeed * cPanel * Fantastico * R1Soft * &More *
    Dedicated * Seattle - West Coast * 1-Minute Monitoring *
    VPS * NY - East Coast * OpenVZ *

Quote Originally Posted by ATH-Sean View Post
    Most Webhosting Providers do not allow IRC usage as it is a haven for Hackers, Spammers, Scammers and is very prone to attacks and viruses.

This is completely a myth. There are many IRC networks that have no such things.
    Freenode, EFNet and Quakenet to name a few popular ones.
    I've been on IRC for 13 years and I've been ddos'd maybe 3 times.

Not to mention it all depends on how you act and what you do. Nobody is going to attack you if you're not doing anything.

Efnet has no hackers or spammers? Suuuuuuure!

We can't solicit our own services but I would recommend sh3lls.net. I've known the owner a long time and those guys run a tight ship. Excellent company.
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ www.fiberpeer.com