What Upgrade Specs Shoud get for Dedicated Server

Hi all,

I current have a dedicated server hosting my website, but the site continues to growth in traffics. I know i need an upgrade, but i don't know what specs to get for my website. I know i don't need an upgrade in my uplink port speed. My website currently has around 60k visitors per day, and uses a lot of database. I hope to get a server that can handle around 100K visitors. Many people recommends me to use RAID 0 and/or upgrade my hard to 73GB SA-SCSI 15K RPM . Do i really need these? What other specs should i get server. I have a flexible budget and don't mind changing to another hosting service.

My current specs are

Intel Xeon 7320-Single Core [3GHz]
    4GB DDR2 RAM
    2 x 250GB SATA II
    3000GB bandwidths
    No RAID

I would not recommend RAID0. You should setup RAID10 by using SCSI or SSD drives. It will help a lots for db.
    Tommy Tran - tommy @ vinax.net ::: VINAX, LLC ::: http://vinax.net ::: Since 2004
    Premium Dedicated Servers and Colocation in downtown Chicago (350 E. Cermak Rd)
    Premium Bandwidth, 100% Network & Power Uptime SLA, 24/7 Prompt Tech Support

Hello Jason,

Do you have your db and web server on the same physical machine ? If that is the case , you can think of migrating the database to a separate server ( go for dual core ) and optimise the webserver for better performance. Or you can use this one as your db and the new one for your web server.

You can think of migrating to a high speed webserver like nginx on a long run.

Regarding the Raid, It is essential for a busy website and I'd go for Raid 10 or Raid5 than Raid0. I do not think using a 15K RPM hdd will bring a significant change in the the way your website performs now.

Vinod

do you think i need more RAM for the database or web server if i were to separate?

Not really - 4G ram is more than enough to drive the db of one website...

I am kind of new to RAID and when i try to order RAID with my server, it asked for RAID instructions. I don't know what kind of instruction to give. Can you help me with that, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jason2222 View Post
    Hi all,

I current have a dedicated server hosting my website, but the site continues to growth in traffics. I know i need an upgrade, but i don't know what specs to get for my website. I know i don't need an upgrade in my uplink port speed. My website currently has around 60k visitors per day, and uses a lot of database. I hope to get a server that can handle around 100K visitors. Many people recommends me to use RAID 0 and/or upgrade my hard to 73GB SA-SCSI 15K RPM . Do i really need these? What other specs should i get server. I have a flexible budget and don't mind changing to another hosting service.

My current specs are

Intel Xeon 7320-Single Core [3GHz]
    4GB DDR2 RAM
    2 x 250GB SATA II
    3000GB bandwidths
    No RAID
    Hello Jason, I recommend that you upgrade to at least a dual core, if not a quad xeon just because there's an upgrade path. You can for example pick up a Single 5310(Quad Core, 1.6GHz) and then upgrade to Dual 5310's, or to a Single 5410 or a Dual 5410 without switching chassis's. I highly advise against RAID 0, just pick up 4x SATA and use RAID 10 or 2x SaS 10k/15k RAID 1.

A RAID-0 setup will only take money out of your wallet but won't add any sort of performance to your website. As such, I recommend going with a RAID-10 configuration.

Jacob Wall's configuration sounds like a winner. Adding more processing power and the RAID will provide a big power boost to your website!

The jump from SATA's to SCSI tied to say a similar Dual CPU Xeon system can be had pretty affordable from quite a few providers that have some previous generation gear still on active duty.

Basically you would be on a similar platform to what you have with two single core CPU's, two smaller SCSI drives in a RAID1 config same amount of RAM. The jump from 7200RPM SATA's to 10,000 or 15,000 RPM SCSI's + the Dual Single core Xeons would be a fair bump on additional threads and database access time.

As others mentioned, don't do RAID0, that's just begging for downtime due to hardware failure. Not to mention the loss of all your data. RAID1 is a minimum, RAID10 if you can budget that in.

you need it if it's free

Quote Originally Posted by underduck View Post
    you need it if it's free
    Do you mean RAID?

When i when back to check on my hardware. My current specs are actually

2 x Intel Xeon 7320-Single Core [3GHz] not 1
    4GB DDR2 RAM
    2 x 250GB SATA II
    3000GB bandwidths
    No RAID

any ideas if i were to upgrade to this server, would it be enough?

Intel Xeon Nehalem 5520 8x2.26GHz-HT
    12GB DDR3 1333
    4x 73GB SA-SCSI 15K RPM
    RAID 10

4GB DDR2 RAM
    2 x 250GB SATA II
    3000GB bandwidths
    No RAID

12GB DDR3 1333
    4x 73GB SA-SCSI 15K RPM
    RAID 10
    That would actually be quite a big leap in terms of raw processing performance. Do you really think you require that much power?

4GB DDR2 RAM
    2 x 250GB SATA II
    3000GB bandwidths
    No RAID

12GB DDR3 1333
    4x 73GB SA-SCSI 15K RPM
    RAID 10
    Why don't you get a config like...

Intel Xeon 53xx
    8gb RAM
    2x73GB SA-SCSI 15k RPM
    RAID Card

That's easy, but don't waste your money on SCSI drives if you aren't going to use them.

First, you need to look at where the bottleneck is for your site. Is it CPU, RAM, or Disk I/O? Until you can provide some details on that, most of the suggestions that can be made are just wild stabs in the dark.

Yes, you can simply just get the best everything if you have the budget for it, but if you want to get optimal value, you'll need to do a little investigation. Providing something like your top output during your peak load time would be a good start.

However, I would definitely avoid RAID0 as that basically doubles your risk for total data loss, if either one of the drives fail. If your site is more read-oriented than write-oriented anyway, you will get a similar performance improvement from RAID1 while getting improved rather than reduced reliability.
    ASTUTE HOSTING: Advanced, customized, and scalable solutions with AS54527 Premium Canadian Optimized Network (Level3, PEER1, Shaw, Tinet)
    MicroServers.io: Enterprise Dedicated Hardware with IPMI at VPS-like Prices using AS63213 Affordable Bandwidth (Cogent, HE, Tinet)
    Dedicated Hosting, Colo, Bandwidth, and Fiber out of Vancouver, Seattle, LA, Toronto, NYC, and Miami

Quote Originally Posted by hhw View Post
    First, you need to look at where the bottleneck is for your site. Is it CPU, RAM, or Disk I/O? Until you can provide some details on that, most of the suggestions that can be made are just wild stabs in the dark.

Yes, you can simply just get the best everything if you have the budget for it, but if you want to get optimal value, you'll need to do a little investigation. Providing something like your top output during your peak load time would be a good start.

However, I would definitely avoid RAID0 as that basically doubles your risk for total data loss, if either one of the drives fail. If your site is more read-oriented than write-oriented anyway, you will get a similar performance improvement from RAID1 while getting improved rather than reduced reliability.

I know the bottle neck is related to Mysql connections so i think it would have to be the CPU and/or RAM possibly Hard drive during peak hours because it takes like 10 seconds to get a response from the server. Basically, i have like less than 500mb of hard drive space used. It is mainly the database connection that's slowing down the website. So any thoughts that might help because if i get the server i described, it will cost me quit a bit. I do like the idea of optimal server. The number of connection to my website during peak hours are around 500 to 800 people simultaneously. Any comments will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by jason2222; 09-20-2009 at 06:50 PM.

Disk I/O is the first thing that comes to mind. Going from SATA to SCSI is a bump in itself, but do you plan to grow more?

I am hoping to continue to grow, but i hope to upgrade when needed. My goal is to have a server that can handle around 100k daily people before my next upgrade.
    Last edited by jason2222; 09-20-2009 at 07:00 PM.

In that case you could honestly probably save a bunch of money and go with something like the following.

2 x Dual Core Xeon (Previous Gen)
    4GB ECC RAM
    2 x 15,000RPM SCSI Drives RAID1

Since you are using very little space you can get away with fairly small SCSI drives, there should be plenty of providers on here who still have previous gen gear on hand. Usually HP or Dell would fit the bill on those with hot swap SCSI as well.

Just a thought, still tough to be 100% sure on something without any real data from what you are pushing under load exactly. But from standard SATA to 15K RPM SCSI's alone is a huge bump, not to mention the multi threaded capability of dual 'dual cores' on previous gen hardware compared to your single core right now.

The attachment is a screen shot of my Plesk Control Panel stats. Hope that helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails normal system stats.jpg  
    Last edited by jason2222; 09-20-2009 at 07:16 PM.

Focus on CPU/Ram/Drives.

With your situation, I recommend to use SAS drives at least.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

I know i needed to Focus of CPU/RAM/Drives, but what would be the recommended CPU/RAM/Drives based on my Plesk Control stats. The stats is only when there are around 450 people , but during my peak hours, they can reach as high as 800 and the lag time usually starts around 600 people online simultaneously. Can you guys give me some recommendation to a server to can handle 800 people. I am willing to separate the database and hosting to different servers, but what would be the recommendation on both server? Especially for the database because of its high usage. I know i am going to RAID 1 or 10 on the database, but i still want it to fit my $300 to $500 dollars budget for the database server.

I know i needed to Focus of CPU/RAM/Drives, but what would be the recommended CPU/RAM/Drives based on my Plesk Control stats. The stats is only when there are around 450 people , but during my peak hours, they can reach as high as 800 and the lag time usually starts around 600 people online simultaneously. Can you guys give me some recommendation to a server to can handle 800 people. I am willing to separate the database and hosting to different servers, but what would be the recommendation on both server? Especially for the database because of its high usage. I know i am going to RAID 1 or 10 on the database, but i still want it to fit my $300 to $500 dollars budget for the database server.
    Either grab

2 (x) 73GB SA-SCSI 15k RPM Drives w/ SAS Raid 1
    *OR*
    4 (x) 250gb SATA 7.2k RPM Drives w/ SATA Raid 10

I'm no expert, but I don't think there's much difference between those, maybe r/w on the SCSI's be a bit faster but not by much. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I know i need an upgrade, but i don't know what specs to get for my website. I know i don't need an upgrade in my uplink port speed.
    What exactly makes you know that you need an upgrade? What performance issues are you experiencing? There are certainly upgrade suggestions that make sense but just because you have good traffic and even high use of your DB, doesn't mean that you have to change.

Just curious by the,what do you have in place for backups?

Quote Originally Posted by vinod View Post
    Not really - 4G ram is more than enough to drive the db of one website...
    Actually, this depends on the web site, the size of the database and the actual coding of the site. Also, the operating system needs to be 64 bit if you wish Mysql to use more than 2G of RAM.

-- Bill
    NationalNet - Hosting. Handled.
    Extreme Support Managed Hosting | Inexpensive Dedicated Servers | Affordable Atlanta Colocation | CDN
    sales @ nationalnet.com | 888-4-NATNET | www.nationalnet.com

if you only have 500Gb on disk, you _should_ be able to cache the entire table space in memory...

your best bet would be to have someone look at the site, and figure out where the performance bottlenecks on your site are.

It could be anything from the painfully obvious (like 10Mb of graphics on the main page) to poorly optimized SQL queries...

Quote Originally Posted by hhw View Post

^ Words of wisdom, was on my way to typing just this until I read the comment!

Why not SSD disk + normal sata for storage?