Thread: Centos 5 vs 4

Centos 5 vs 4

My current web host is running Centos 4.8 on our servers.

I see that most top tier vps providers are running Centos 5.x.

Am I missing out on any performance or security issues with running 4.8??

Thanks in advance.

4.8 in general runs a lot older packages, iirc.

holy moly, pretty surprising anyone is running a 2.6.9 kernel distro anymore!

is centos4 a supported openvz host, pretty sure there was no xen or kvm back then, or are they using esx?

4.8 is the latest version of rhel's 4.x branch, but 5.4 is current (centos is still at 5.3 for a few more days) and there will be no development of 4.x, just major security fixes, i doubt there will even be any bugfixes.

packages will be old as hell - like apache 2.0 not 2.2, php 4.3 not 5.2, perl 5.8 not 5.10, mysql 4.1 not 5.1, openssh 3.9 not 5.1 etc; all of those packages have had pretty major new features since 4.8!

Quote Originally Posted by sej7278 View Post
    holy moly, pretty surprising anyone is running a 2.6.9 kernel distro anymore!

is centos4 a supported openvz host, pretty sure there was no xen or kvm back then, or are they using esx?

4.8 is the latest version of rhel's 4.x branch, but 5.4 is current (centos is still at 5.3 for a few more days) and there will be no development of 4.x, just major security fixes, i doubt there will even be any bugfixes.

packages will be old as hell - like apache 2.0 not 2.2, php 4.3 not 5.2, perl 5.8 not 5.10, mysql 4.1 not 5.1, openssh 3.9 not 5.1 etc; all of those packages have had pretty major new features since 4.8!

The host is on virtuozzo..

Per WHM it says centos 4.8.

However, per easyapache in whm I am running 2.2 and php 5.2.10.

I dont know is one or the other lying?

cPanel builds Apache and PHP from source instead of using the distribution's packages, so the reported version numbers are correct.

CentOS 4 is stable, secure and supported until 2012. If you don't have a particular need for new features in more recent packages, there's nothing wrong with running CentOS 4. Your provider will undoubtedly migrate VPSs to a newer release before CentOS 4 reaches end of life.

I have one hosting account where I am stuck with virtuozzo centos-4-only template. No other OS choice. Can't complain given the ridiculously insane price I got from their promo offering, thank you! .

I needed a recent python version (at least 2.5/2.6), centos has 2.3, and I ended up compiling everything I needed. If you know your way around RHEL/CentOS, this should not be a problem. You do have to be patient enough to work around the older packages/dependencies.
    Last edited by cygnusd; 09-20-2009 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cygnusd View Post
    I have one hosting account where I am stuck with virtuozzo centos-4-only template. No other OS choice. Can't complain given the ridiculously insane price I got from their promo offering, thank you! .

I needed a recent python version (at least 2.5/2.6), centos has 2.3, and I ended up compiling everything I needed. If you know your way around RHEL/CentOS, this should not be a problem. You do have to be patient enough to work around the older packages/dependencies.
    All they need to do is install teh CentOS-5 template and then they can use CentOS-5 for their VPS's.

I'm using CentOS-5 and it works great

I think I was kind of leaning more in the direction of

1. am I vulnerable security wise for being on 4.8?

2. is 5 more stable than 4.8?

3. is there any advantage to being on 5.x vs 4.8 if I run WHM/Cpanel?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdessert View Post
    I think I was kind of leaning more in the direction of

1. am I vulnerable security wise for being on 4.8?

2. is 5 more stable than 4.8?

3. is there any advantage to being on 5.x vs 4.8 if I run WHM/Cpanel?

Thanks.
    The basics are the same.

1. most packages are backported to the latest security patches, so you are pretty secure.

2. both are equaly stable.

3. if it works, dont touch it. - monitor it!

our last centos 4 machine had a nice 400days+ uptime on it, we switched it off when we replaced the hardware and got newer machines, never had any problems with it :-)

centos 5 has better documentation & more selinux policy rules & newer libs & kernels.
    beast5.com - Managed Hosting Solutions 2004 - 2016

Quote Originally Posted by bigdessert View Post
    Am I missing out on any performance or security issues with running 4.8??
    All things being equal, the newer OS version will perform better.

We use Debian 5 and it's 2.6.26 kernel is significantly faster than the stale 2.6.18 (debian 4 and centos 5 kernel), which in turn is faster than the really old 2.6.8/9 kernel is.

Same usually holds true for other software (unless there's lots of feature creep

Since it is a VPS host however performance will depend MUCH more on server load (how many clients per HN / how oversold they are) than how old their HN OS is.
    RAM Host -- Premium & Budget Linux Hosting From The USA & EU
    █ Featuring Powerful cPanel CloudLinux Shared Hosting
    █ & Cheap Premium Virtual Dedicated Servers
    Follow us on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Wall View Post
    All they need to do is install teh CentOS-5 template and then they can use CentOS-5 for their VPS's.
    They can, I believe. But I remember the promo was for a fixed spec VPS, anything additional may entail support costs/issues for them. Their support system might have been built around centos-4 that time (a few years back).

If the server with Centos 4x is running under OpenVZ, the kernel may in fact be much newer than what is released with CentOS 4. The difference for cPanel servers is almost 0, as cPanel installs everything of importance itself anyway and ignores the CentOS repositories. The rest of the ports you'll firewall in any case.

CentOS 4 is rock solid and stable, not everyone wants to jump on the new software bandwagon with their production servers. It will be fully supported until 2012.
    Last edited by vpsville; 09-22-2009 at 09:57 AM.
    VPSVille.com
    Toronto, London, Dallas, Los Angeles
    Quality VPS hosting on Premium bandwidth