Advice required about backup hosting with FTP/SSH/Rsync access

Hello,

I am looking for a hosting to use as backup storage (i.e., private Web access, relatively low traffic and using the disk space to upload/download files).

FTP access is common nowadays; using SSH/SCP and Rsync would also be a good option.

I need a reliable, cost-effective hosting company allowing using the Web space for backup purposes.

The optimal would be to find a service dedicated to backup hosting, like BQInternet.

I know about Amazon S3 and RackSpaceCloud CloudFiles (I use both), I need a 'usual' reliable and not too expensive hosting, as well.

Any suggestion would be very appreciated. Thanks.
    VPSeer: VPS-related benchmarks, news and how-tos.
    "There are two kinds of people in the world, those who haven't lost important data yet, and those who do regular backups."
    Network and Server Monitoring Tool - uptime and performance monitoring

Have a look in the "Other Offers" forum. I've found a few good backup host deals in there.
    If you're looking for only dedicated backup hosting (which is the safest bet) then you should be able to find something for a pretty good monthly price.

If your budget can extend to it you would be better off having 1 dedicated backup account and a hosting account in a different datacenter altogether. Most software (DirectAdmin/Cpanel) can automatically send your backups to the off-site server at regular intervals.

For the record, I've used XSBackup.com before with no issues at all.

Maybe just worth to have VPS for this kind of the tasks?

2 Ceaser: thanks, I'll definitely visit the mentioned locations. Yes, another VPS could do.

2 SiberForum: the problem is I need VPS with low memory and large disk quota. Otherwise, cost/performance won't be too good. It means I need a VPS provider able to give me little memory, large disk quota at a relatively low price.

My current VPS I use for backup purposes is 512Nb RAM/20Gb/9.95$/mo, and it would be good to have at least 4-5 times that disk amount at lower price.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Master Bo; 09-19-2009 at 09:48 AM. Reason: details added
    "There are two kinds of people in the world, those who haven't lost important data yet, and those who do regular backups."

2 SiberForum: the problem is I need VPS with low memory and large disk quota. Otherwise, cost/performance won't be too good. It means I need a VPS provider able to give me little memory, large disk quota at a relatively low price.
    Got it... Hmm what about semidedicated then?

Quote Originally Posted by SiberForum View Post
    Got it... Hmm what about semidedicated then?
    That's a good idea as well, could you suggest anyone?
    Thanks.

I assume you need to get started with offer section first. That is the same as shared web hosting service so do your search within shared web hosting section
    ASPnix Web Hosting - ASP.NET, MS SQL, AJAX, Hyper-V
    Microsoft Hosting and Virtualization

Quote Originally Posted by masterbo View Post
    My current VPS I use for backup purposes is 512Nb RAM/20Gb/9.95$/mo, and it would be good to have at least 4-5 times that disk amount at lower price.
    Have you tried asking your provider to swap memory/CPU for disk space. Shouldn't be any issue to get 30 to 40 gb for that price.
    Zingiri
    Apps for Small Businesses