Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do you think I'm racist

Hi there,

So when you go for a Job you tend to know what you might actually be doing, heck some go above and beyond and google them! However internet jobs are a tad bit different in saying that you would expect to check out there website read up about there company and so on.

So here I'am on a Saturday night just chatting with some applications from my recent job posting.

So my Job posting was pretty precise "US/UK/AU Applications only!" I also answered another question in that post even though that title is pretty darn obvious right?

So I was asked: "I wonder if you hire remote dedicated support. I have 5+ years experience in this field and I believe that I can fulfil your expectations. I have hands-on experience in cPanel, HyperVM, DA, VirualMin and Plesk panels. I am from India BTW"

So as none racist as possible I replied back saying: "Sorry no can do only applicants that reside in UK, USA, or Australia may apply"

Okay so no problem well approx 8 hours later I get an skype add now my second set of rules was: "1) Send your Resume and Cover letter to [email protected] 2) Add me to skype for IM verdict.networks"

So this guy add me to skype already not happy about this as I had received no resume in 8 hours but kept my mouth shut...

And said this:
    [3:35:54 PM] vagrant27: Outsourced support from India, have worked for 5 years with Mdwebhosting, let me know if interested and I will send my cv
    Now at first I let it slide, Thinking just maybe he did not come from the only place I advertise Job positions... Fair enough So I asked him where did you come from IE post

Sure enough he replied
    Dam what a surprise he came from the job post. This kind of makes me add the Job applicator truly did not read the job advertisement So I replied:

[6:44:47 PM] Joshua Hagan : mate you really are an idiot
    [6:44:59 PM] Joshua Hagan : you think after my direct instuctions
    [6:45:09 PM] Joshua Hagan : Not interested in India staff and send a resume before adding me to skype
    [6:45:16 PM] Joshua Hagan : that you might have still had a chance...?
    harsh maybe nah, you do get sick of it after a while...So he replied with and then blocked me...

[6:46:45 PM] vagrant27: I think you are ass hole talking in this way to me you can say directly no. no need to show how australians are. You ass hole
    [6:46:46 PM] vagrant27: **** off
    Now I probably could of said "Directly" No but I'm not one just to let people walk over me or waste my time.

So I guess this comes back to asking Do you think I'm racist?
    Automated, Secure & Low Cost cPanel Backups (on the cloud)
    For Users & Web Hosting Providers - User Backups
      0 Not allowed!

I don't think you are a racist, but certainly, could have dealt with situation in hand a lot more diligently.

You have already stated that a condition is that the applicant resides in UK, USA or AU, of which was either misread or not understood by applicant.

The first thing that would anger me as an applicant is:

Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Limited
    VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
    vBulletin / XenForo Hosting and Services
    Server / Website Consultation
      0 Not allowed!

So I guess this comes back to asking Do you think I'm racist?
    Why did you feel that you are a racist?

Is it because your country is portrayed in news papers recently which falls under racism.

There was nothing wrong with your response, but i still see why was the title of your post reflecting racism.
      0 Not allowed!

You have already stated that a condition is that the applicant resides in UK, USA or AU, of which was either misread or not understood by applicant.
    Well I thought that too, But that was not the only reason... But your right Idiot is rude... But no stipulation for a racist remark.
      0 Not allowed!

Why did you feel that you are a racist?
    Because of the applicants response.
    [6:46:45 PM] vagrant27: I think you are ass hole talking in this way to me you can say directly no. no need to show how australians are. You ass hole
    [6:46:46 PM] vagrant27: **** off
      0 Not allowed!

I don't think you're a racist but calling somebody an idiot isn't very professional. I'd say it's unnecessarily rude.
      0 Not allowed!

I don't think you're a racist but calling somebody an idiot isn't very professional. I'd say it's unnecessarily rude.
    You know I also thought that to... However on a Professional level.. How do you feel applying for a Job that your know way qualified for? I guess that's pretty un-professional right?

I could not careless my actions... It really makes me mad when you have highlighted to instructions both of them have been broken...
      0 Not allowed!

I find it funny and wouldive said the same thing..... I doubt he has 5 years experience if he is like that. I bet hes never had a job and just wants a quick buck/
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by verdictjosh View Post
    You know I also thought that to... However on a Professional level.. How do you feel applying for a Job that your know way qualified for? I guess that's pretty un-professional right?

I could not careless my actions... It really makes me mad when you have highlighted to instructions both of them have been broken...
    This happens some times, people do make mistakes. At the same time i feel that the applicants message was also very rude and nasty.

It happens since both the country has been going on tough times with some morons, the message has reflected you thinking being racist and the applicant should have felt it in other way too.
      0 Not allowed!

I would not hire him in the first place if he cannot follow instructions.

Probably the reason for hiring people in the US, UK, and Australia is the fact that English is the primary language of the majority I would hope. You are not racist one bit. It would be like saying you can only ship to the United States but your racist because you cannot ship to Nigeria.
      0 Not allowed!

Sure, I think you were 100% right about not wanting to hire him, for not following your instructions and for not reading your post alone.

But that wasn't the question you wanted us to answer...
      0 Not allowed!

Probably easier to say "mate, sorry but the job was already filled, sorry about that" or "mate, send me your cv and we'll get back to you if interested".

But each to their own.
      0 Not allowed!

Sure but I'm going to defend my self when you tell my I'm not professional mate... So keep your winks to yourself.
      0 Not allowed!

Probably easier to say "mate, sorry but the job was already filled, sorry about that" or "mate, send me your cv and we'll get back to you if interested".
    Probarly true, however It really gets to your nerve... No kiddin just got another applicant from india I left the link in the post to the job advert anyone care to explain where I'm going wrong to get applicants outside of the US/UK/AU ?
      0 Not allowed!

You get that with any job advert, ask any busy human resources dept what they get through the door when they advertise.. hundreds of useless applicants. It's just the norm.

This is one of the main reasons bigger companies use agencies, to vet all the unwanted out.

Good luck sifting through them unfortunately.
      0 Not allowed!

Josh, how about using a little class and tact instead of coming straight out with the -
    Makes you look like a jerk.
    • AussieHost.com • Aussie Bob, host since 2001 •
    • Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!! •
      0 Not allowed!

I agree with Bob, your response was very unprofessional and has nothing to do with racism.
    I surely wouldn't want a job with your company after seeing the response you gave to an applicant online.
      0 Not allowed!

I agree with Bob, your response was very unprofessional and has nothing to do with racism.
    I surely wouldn't want a job with your company after seeing the response you gave to an applicant online.
    His comments where racist after I said that. Surely I would only hope if you where suiting the job description.

Something I wish I should have to worry about... I'm sorry if people do not see that some people should not be told the truth when applying for a Job and they don't listen, read or follow instructions.
      0 Not allowed!

I get pretty stern with people who have not obviously read the full listing. I even put in my listing... "Please ensure you have read the entire listing before replying, anybody who does not, runs the risk of never being contacted"

Some people just skim over, and miss very important details.
      0 Not allowed!

You know what, I've worked in an HR Department with a huge company that was dealing with thousands of applications each week. I never once called any of them an idiot even though we got some amount of stupid applications.

If you aren't interested you say "no thanks" or ignore them, it's as simple as that.
      0 Not allowed!

Some indians as well as other nationalities never take no for an answer.

Seems this guy just couldn't understand what "Only UK, USA, or Australia may apply."

Therefore the guy's illiterate / an idiot/ academically or geographically challenged.

Either way, the best way to handle numpties is just to say "Thank you for your interest, but the position is now closed."

owm
    ‹(••
    Life's what you make it.
      0 Not allowed!

Some indians as well as other nationalities never take no for an answer.
    You will get people from ALL walks of life that can be included in that statement. No need to single out any particular ones..
      0 Not allowed!

I'm sorry if people do not see that some people should not be told the truth when applying for a Job and they don't listen, read or follow instructions.
    There's truth, and there's unprofessional. Yours was a rude response, and while they didn't read, there's no excuse for that response in my opinion. I think the reaction you got was less racist than a reaction to you calling them an idiot.
    To each his own.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!
      0 Not allowed!

Well at least you were honest, however honesty and professionalism don't go hand in hand in some situations. It's the same reason why you shouldn't call fat people fat even though they obviously are
    VPSnoc.com offers high quality Xenฎ OpenVZ & Windowsฎ Virtual Private Servers at affordable prices.
    99.95% Uptime | 24/7/365 Support | Unmetered bandwidth.
    Follow us: twitter.com/VPSnoc
      0 Not allowed!

Diplomacy will do you wonders Josh. No, you do not seem to portray a racist.

Do you believe that you may be racist? As far as reviewing all information provided, I did not see anything that erred on racism.

Have you slept lately? Seems like the stress levels may be a little high.

On a personal level, I do not find any reason to respond like that. In fact, it probably just made you even more angry to respond like that. Hehe, I would have had a laugh, a smile, and a no...thank you.

: - ) Sorry "Applicant". We sincerely appreciate your interest, though it seems you may not meet all of the qualifications. You may want to review them here. If we were mistaken, please feel free to contact us.

terminate.
    Machen N. Mathews - Limestone Networks - Business Development
    Cloud - Enterprise & Dedicated Hosting - Resell Dedicated Servers
    DDoS Protected - @LimestoneInc - 877.586.0555 x112
    Bitcoin? Coffee? Yes.
      0 Not allowed!

Not racist, rude of course, but not racist. I know what it's like - when I've posted a few jobs for UK/US/CA/AU I get a lot of other countries dropping me mails or adding me onto my IM's when I've specifically told everyone to PM me.

I've taken an approach of just ignoring those applications I don't want and reading the ones I do want to save me wasting time. It p*sses me off though..
    DesignBear.com
    View Portfolio

A trusted WHT member for over 7 years!
      0 Not allowed!

Can't blame the applicant, yes he must have read the criteria, but he was been hopeful and still applied. People who try and doesn't give up will be rewarded.

In the corporate world, human resources will never reply the way the OP replied.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by hellind2 View Post
    Can't blame the applicant, yes he must have read the criteria, but he was been hopeful and still applied. People who try and doesn't give up will be rewarded.

In the corporate world, human resources will never reply the way the OP replied.
    He was a time waster, it's got nothing to do with 'if he never tries, he'll never know' - the employer specifically made it a requirement.
    DesignBear.com
    View Portfolio

A trusted WHT member for over 7 years!
      0 Not allowed!

So if an Indian person applies from USA/UK/AU with an Indian name, will you accept them or reject their resume as well?
    Hussain Baig - 1-866-954-6747
    Toronto based VPS - Dedicated Servers - Colocation
    VPS Fusion - Providing scalable and reliable hosting solutions.
      0 Not allowed!

So if an Indian person applies from USA/UK/AU with an Indian name, will you accept them or reject their resume as well?
    Sure go ahead they have the same rights as every other citizen in those locations. Proving he satisfies the job requirements and can provide Identification.
      0 Not allowed!

Cleaned up a bit, please keep it civil.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    There's truth, and there's unprofessional. Yours was a rude response, and while they didn't read, there's no excuse for that response in my opinion. I think the reaction you got was less racist than a reaction to you calling them an idiot.
    To each his own.
    That was what I was thinking. I thought he was calling all aussies ********, not racisits.

I have never worked in HR, but I can see myself getting tons of applications from people who do not meet all the skills required. I mean it does not hurt to try, especially if someone is looking for a job.

The main point is: You are doing the hiring yourself. You are going to get people who lie on their resumes, call asking questions, add you to skype and never respond. Send in their resume's and never contact you. It comes with it. So take what comes with it.

Put your self in this situation. You work as a cashier and people hand you coupons all day that dont work for the item because they didnt read it well enough. Are you going to call them all idiots to their face? No, you would get fired and look like an ass.
    Chicago Electronic Cigarettes: Tobacco Free, Smoke Free. 3 E-Cig Models, 11 flavors, and accessories.
    http://www.chicago-ecigs.com
      0 Not allowed!

Hmmmm.
    Seems to me the OP only calls his 'Mates' Idiots

Who would want to work for someone that at the 'selection stage' is happy to call you 'Mate' ?
    Sod it, I'd simply never call anyone in business 'Mate', let alone Start with Mate, then finish with Idiot.

Then again the applicant & the OP have both behaved equaly rude & idiotic in my opinion,
    maybe they would actualy suite each other very well.

Anyway I think that's all I've gote to say 'Mates'

mate you really are an idiot
    Sure but I'm going to defend my self when you tell my I'm not professional mate... So keep your winks to yourself.
    ... I'm sorry if people do not see that some people should not be told the truth when applying for a Job and they don't listen, read or follow instructions.
    Wow, I am stunned by your arrogance.

In my business, I have a spot in the shopping cart where I display a VERY prominent link to upload a logo before proceeding. Yet, no less than 25% of customers ignore/miss it, and then email me afterwards asking how to send their logo. So by your standards, I should reply telling them they are idiots for not reading properly.

Get a grip, man. Have you ever heard of diplomacy? Courtesy? Patience? You are so quick to judge others, yet you seem to refuse to receive constructive criticism that you acted unprofessionally yourself. You're embarrassing yourself. Grow up.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by vito View Post
    Wow, I am stunned by your arrogance.

In my business, I have a spot in the shopping cart where I display a VERY prominent link to upload a logo before proceeding. Yet, no less than 25% of customers ignore/miss it, and then email me afterwards asking how to send their logo. So by your standards, I should reply telling them they are idiots for not reading properly.

Get a grip, man. Have you ever heard of diplomacy? Courtesy? Patience? You are so quick to judge others, yet you seem to refuse to receive constructive criticism that you acted unprofessionally yourself. You're embarrassing yourself. Grow up.

Vito
    Amen! Spoken well Vito!
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance
      0 Not allowed!

I know you prefer to shoot down anyone who disagrees with your view of it Josh but the reality is that this person was likely very qualified. They were probably just hoping that this was a guideline not a rule that you couldn't see past.

Were you being racist no not in your response, that was just rude. Were you being racist in your reasons in limiting it those countries, I have no idea to be honest.

Vito is completely right though and this is very normal. I have applied for jobs that said minimum 10 years experience when I had 9 years as I thought my experience in those 9 years were highly relevant and would fit.
    Andr้ Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by CoderJosh View Post
    Sure, I think you were 100% right about not wanting to hire him, for not following your instructions and for not reading your post alone.

If you don't want people to comment, you shouldn't have asked for their opinions.

Do I think you're a racist? No.
    Do I think you over reacted? Yes.

You've made a big deal out of a situation you have handled badly. You're making it an even bigger deal by asking people for their opinions, and when they say something that doesn't validate the way you handled the situation, you shun them.

Why do you even feel the need to have the opinions of other people justify your actions?
    Last edited by dariti; 09-19-2009 at 08:48 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob View Post
    Josh, how about using a little class and tact instead of coming straight out with the -

Makes you look like a jerk.
    I disagree if he is to stupid to figure out what "US/UK/AU Applications only!" means, then he should be called an idiot.

When you sugar coat things so often with people, they never get it and continue to do same thing over and over again.

At some point you gotta go "Yo bro? are you that ******* stupid I said US/UK/AU only".
    Uploadingit.com - Fast Reliable File Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

@dlewis23

You wouldn't last 2 minutes with that attitude in life, if you ever need to get a real job.
      0 Not allowed!

If he had a high level of experience don't you think he would of "read what it was for".

Sure it might of been harsh but some people need some tough love. If he can't read what makes him think he'll get a job?

You're not racist, you clearly wanted someone in certain areas and for your own reaons which I'm sure are justified.
    #---.#---###### | Host Mist LLC - Helping People Say Hello World™
    #---.#---#--#--# || Shared, Reseller, Master Reseller, VPS, Dedicated
    ####---#--#--# }| Featuring multiple locations across the US & Germany.
    #---#---#--#--# #| Connecting the world through web hosting.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast