Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I'm Still Looking For The Right Host (A little help please?)

Hello,
    I'm still on my journey to finding the right host for me. This journey has taken me over 1 year now and Ive had my fair share of ups and downs.

At the moment i am in search of...
    • Reseller Hosting (linux)... not to start my own web host (as there is far too many already) but for personal use as i like to keep everything separate.
    • 10GB or so diskspace should be plenty
    • Bandwidth im not too fussed, but it should be reasonable
    • cPanel/WHM access

Now the above is really easy to find but i am having trouble getting the above with a few of the points below...

• 24x7x365 Support... not just written on the homepage but actually in action.
    • An established host (of more than 2 years)
    • I don't want a "1 man show" because i just can't sleep properly at night.
    • 1-2 hour response time to support tickets ( i honestly cannot see how that cannot be offered due to the nature of the service being offered)
    • Friendly and informative responses - see what i figure is that if the host takes the time to respond with how exactly they fixed the problem and what was causing it, i would not need to contact them the next time it happens (therefore saving their time to responding to another ticket the next time.)

And if i happen to find a host with all the above, then i would be really impressed if they also offered...

• Live chat (not just for sales)
    • Automatic Backups
    • Freebies such as WHMCS, Adwords vouchers, eNom accounts, etc.

Again the last ones are not absolutely required but would be a bonus if offered.

So now i ask... is it possible? (if so, please point me to the right direction)

Thank you.

There are quite a few providers around here that will probably be able to match most of your requirements. Do you have a budget in mind?

In such a long post i forgot to include my budget?

I have $10-20/month in mind and i think its reasonable as anything above that would not be worth it in my opinion as it would be borderline of a VPS price.

innohosting, i'm researching them right now and they seem to fit your specification and budget perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by PRIV8 View Post
    In such a long post i forgot to include my budget?

I have $10-20/month in mind and i think its reasonable as anything above that would not be worth it in my opinion as it would be borderline of a VPS price.
    It depends if you're looking for a managed VPS or you're comfortable in managing it yourself.

Have you considered HostGator yet? I know their reseller packages begin from $25/month but they fit your requirements perfectly.
    HighLayer - Canadian Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting & Dedicated Servers
    Latest cPanel/WHM - 99.9% Uptime Guarantee - 30 Day Money Back Guarantee - 24/7 Support
    Visit www.highlayer.com or Call 1-888-84-LAYER

innohosting, i'm researching them right now and they seem to fit your specification and budget perfectly.
    Yes, InnoHosting is the best one Ive found so far but i don't know it doesn't look like a "big" company

...and i mean no offense to InnoHosting by that comment as i haven't seen anything bad personally, but i have bad experiences with some other hosts and i think its made me a bit paranoid.

Have you considered HostGator yet? I know their reseller packages begin from $25/month but they fit your requirements perfectly.
    Yes, HostGator is also on my list and ive had an alright experience with them as a shared hosting customer but their price is a bit north to what im aiming for, but then again they could be worth the extra $5.
    Last edited by PRIV8; 09-18-2009 at 09:14 PM. Reason: fixed some spelling errors

Quote Originally Posted by sheic View Post
    It depends if you're looking for a managed VPS or you're comfortable in managing it yourself.
    Actually for about $30/month (with a coupon) i was on a alright VPS (managed) from FutureHosting, but at the moment a VPS would be going overboard for me as ive sold a few of my bigger sites.

There are a lot of good reviews about innohosting. Sure it may seem small compared to hostgator...but you sure do get double the value for half the cost!

Quote Originally Posted by vanillasky View Post
    There are a lot of good reviews about innohosting. Sure it may seem small compared to hostgator...but you sure do get double the value for half the cost!
    Yes, there does seem to be alot of people in favor of InnoHosting but one thing that i really cannot understand is their 16 day money back guarantee policy. So if i pay for 1 full years hosting and cancel after lets say 1 month... the remaining 11 months i paid for is basically gone?

i am having trouble getting the above with a few of the points below...

• 24x7x365 Support... not just written on the homepage but actually in action.
    • An established host (of more than 2 years)
    • I don't want a "1 man show" because i just can't sleep properly at night.
    • 1-2 hour response time to support tickets ( i honestly cannot see how that cannot be offered due to the nature of the service being offered)
    • Friendly and informative responses -
    This shouldn't be difficult. What kind of hurdles are you facing after one year no being able to find this? Perhaps you should loosen up some of your other requirement. For example, giving up the cpanel requirement might help because the 1-man shows usually opt for that one.
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ

Yes, there does seem to be alot of people in favor of InnoHosting but one thing that i really cannot understand is their 16 day money back guarantee policy. So if i pay for 1 full years hosting and cancel after lets say 1 month... the remaining 11 months i paid for is basically gone?
    You're welcome to sign up on a monthly basis, and then commit to yearly when you feel confident in doing so, or just stick to monthly with no commitment

Quote Originally Posted by IH-Rameen View Post
    You're welcome to sign up on a monthly basis, and then commit to yearly when you feel confident in doing so, or just stick to monthly with no commitment
    Thanks for your reply Rameen.

I would be paying on a monthly basis first if i signup to any host, but the this 16 day policy to me says you/your company is not confident that i will be satisfied with your services so Ive only got 16 days to do anything about it.

Now i would like to stress that this is just what goes through my head when i see something like this and by no way am i commenting on your hosting quality (as i cannot since i haven't tried it).

At the moment i am considering InnoHosting and one of the main reasons is because of one of your current promotions (the sticky in the reseller hosting offers section) seems like a really good deal but once again your terms worry me. See from what i understand if i sign up and post in that thread to be upgraded i will basically forfeit my rights to a refund. So far these are the main things that have held me back from signing up.

However, InnoHosting has not tried hiding this as i found these clearly in their Terms and Conditions page, but during signup i would be required to tick a box that says i agree to these terms, but i am afraid that i can not agree.

Thanks for your reply Rameen.

I would be paying on a monthly basis first if i signup to any host, but the this 16 day policy to me says you/your company is not confident that i will be satisfied with your services so Ive only got 16 days to do anything about it.

Now i would like to stress that this is just what goes through my head when i see something like this and by no way am i commenting on your hosting quality (as i cannot since i haven't tried it).

At the moment i am considering InnoHosting and one of the main reasons is because of one of your current promotions (the sticky in the reseller hosting offers section) seems like a really good deal but once again your terms worry me. See from what i understand if i sign up and post in that thread to be upgraded i will basically forfeit my rights to a refund. So far these are the main things that have held me back from signing up.

However, InnoHosting has not tried hiding this as i found these clearly in their Terms and Conditions page, but during signup i would be required to tick a box that says i agree to these terms, but i am afraid that i can not agree.
    Well, it's a policy we've had for 6 years, and we're more than confident in what we do..We believe 2 weeks+ is enough to evaluate our services..In our experience the 16 day policy has prevented "host hoppers" from jumping host to host in order to gain a free service for a month which I'm aware exists. We offer a lot with our products, and it's necessary promotions and such aren't abused which is why we employ the policies we do..

Hope that clears things up..

Hi! Have you looked into the reseller offerings of JaguarPC?

I've been with them for a while and haven't had any problems. They have a reseller plan for $20, which is what I've got.

Well, it's a policy we've had for 6 years, and we're more than confident in what we do..We believe 2 weeks+ is enough to evaluate our services..In our experience the 16 day policy has prevented "host hoppers" from jumping host to host in order to gain a free service for a month which I'm aware exists. We offer a lot with our products, and it's necessary promotions and such aren't abused which is why we employ the policies we do..

Hope that clears things up..
    I don't see why this minority (you called them "host hoppers") should ruin a service for the rest of us genuine customers but unfortunately this is the case with most things nowadays so i somewhat understand because at the end of the day you are trying to run a business.

It is a shame 1 person can ruin it for everyone.

Having said that, i still don't agree with your terms.

What i would agree with would be a host offering an "anytime moneyback guarantee" but if someone were to signup for one month and cancel say on the 20th of the month, then i believe the fair thing would be to refund the customer his money minus the 20 days he has used.

I don't see why this minority (you called them "host hoppers") should ruin a service for the rest of us genuine customers but unfortunately this is the case with most things nowadays so i somewhat understand because at the end of the day you are trying to run a business.

It is a shame 1 person can ruin it for everyone.

Having said that, i still don't agree with your terms.

What i would agree with would be a host offering an "anytime moneyback guarantee" but if someone were to signup for one month and cancel say on the 20th of the month, then i believe the fair thing would be to refund the customer his money minus the 20 days he has used.
    That's where I would put it down to a difference in opinion..I still stand by the view that 16 days is sufficient time to evaluate a service..I'm not sure many would opt for an anytime money back guarantee, however given the number of hosts and new ones cropping up I wouldn't be surprised if one of them does (if not already) offer such a service. I would be interested in its outcome..It could be something that works out very well..Only one way to find out I suppose.

That said, I appreciate your feedback, and wish you all the best with your search. Keep us updated on how you get on!

That's where I would put it down to a difference in opinion..I still stand by the view that 16 days is sufficient time to evaluate a service..I'm not sure many would opt for an anytime money back guarantee, however given the number of hosts and new ones cropping up I wouldn't be surprised if one of them does (if not already) offer such a service. I would be interested in its outcome..It could be something that works out very well..Only one way to find out I suppose.

That said, I appreciate your feedback, and wish you all the best with your search. Keep us updated on how you get on!
    Thank you for your comments.

Although im sure ive seen a host offering an anytime money back guarantee i can not remember which one.

However the refund process were you are given the amount of money for the amount of days of unused hosting is in use and i remember HostGator works this way.

What's more important? Finding a good host you can stay with or one that will refund you $3 instead of $4 at the end of a partially used month? Use Inno's 16-day trial, if they have all the features you require -- which can be determined within those tow weeks -- then plan on staying instead of worrying over a couple bucks that you may or may not receive when you close down your site in (hopefully) far future.
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ

Although im sure ive seen a host offering an anytime money back guarantee i can not remember which one.
    Lot's of host do .. justhost.com, webthosting, eukhost, and so on.

That having said, i am a customer of Innohosting myself and beside the fact i am quite happy with them so far i don't completely understand their 16 days rule myself. Also their rule the 16 days, money back rule isn't valid if u sign up with a promotion is very weird.

I think u're right the company isn't very big, but i don't know if that is a disadvantage if u want a more personal support. If u put it in the long run maybe u're better off signing up with a larger company, but every company has to start small.

Just make sure you steer clear of a Web Host call Just Host, they can't even manage to enable pages to be up for a day, mine has now been down for over 8 hours and the statemet from them was it was going to be resolved shortly. I would hate to ask them what was meant by the word 'shortly' in their dictionary!

No longer with them if I can get out of the contract, 3 weeks of hell so far.

I'd probably suggest HostGator. They include WHMCS on their reseller plans and they are one of the largest hosts.
    U.S.A. High Resource allocation global cloud hosting serving 310,000 clients since 2008 | Offering both cPanel & DirectAdmin
    WebsitePlex.com | Instant Activation | Alpha, Master, Reseller & Cloud Hosting
    Recurring Affiliate Program Pays 20% of total revenue for life | 30 Day Trial

Quote Originally Posted by JixHost View Post
    I'd probably suggest HostGator. They include WHMCS on their reseller plans and they are one of the largest hosts.
    Thanks for your reply, appreciate the help. It is now one that I'm looking at seriously.....

One thing Just Host do an excellent job on, which just gets the a 2/10 for their efforts on Live Chat Help and exiting their service, it was all done in a matter of 45seconds.

Now to decide on another host out of a now short list....

If you are looking for a big company, go with HostGator.
    U.S.A. High Resource allocation global cloud hosting serving 310,000 clients since 2008 | Offering both cPanel & DirectAdmin
    WebsitePlex.com | Instant Activation | Alpha, Master, Reseller & Cloud Hosting
    Recurring Affiliate Program Pays 20% of total revenue for life | 30 Day Trial

I find this thread informative. I too believe a 16 day trial is rediculous if you are going to prepay for a year. (Seriously.) I have been on a quarterly billing cycle, which I think is reasonable.

It makes no sense (to me) to invest a year into 16 initial days. Why? Because the host could be really great for 16 days, and then prove to be lousy when you need them. I'm not saying innuhost is such, as I too have no experience with them either.

But in my case, I'm not a full time web guy. I run another business full time and do "my thing" with web-sites as I have time. 16 days would pass before I had a chance to really get my hands dirty.

I too am looking to change to a better service. I have a great price, which I think might be grand-fathered, because I don't see the offer I am getting on their sales pages. As of lately, I've put more time into my sites. But the frustration I've been having lately has pushed me to search.

My goal was to have only one host, and because I never felt my reseller account was dependable/reliable (gee, since Dec 2005, and even more so now), I still have two hosts.

(My list is flexible but down to 12 choices, that I need to analyze.)
    My Hosts?
    Siteworks for my single account. "Pretty darn good, for years now."
    And now all my eggs are in their basket.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast