What do i need to know before hosting a web site?

Hi pals
    I'm a beginer with practically no knowledge of whats involved in hosting a website, can anybody pls. tell me what i need to know before i dive into the business.

Just to clarify, are you looking to provide web hosting services or are you looking to get your own websites hosted?

I'm assuming he just wants his website hosted - you should always try to find reviews of the webhost and do some reviews. But other than that, can't really tell you without knowing what exactly you are trying to do. Specific questions would help though, your statement is kinda broad

Well to host your first site depends on the content.
    Are you starting a Blog or a Forum ???
    Well to start your first website I think you should know a little bit of File Management and some PHP+MySQL
    Softaculous - Auto Installer for cPanel, Direct Admin, InterWorx, Plesk, H-Sphere
    The only Auto Installer that installs 260+ scripts. Install in just ONE STEP!
    Virtualizor - VPS Control Panel supporting OpenVZ, Xen, KVM and has 60+ OS Templates
    Webuzo - Softaculous for the Cloud i.e. Softaculous Standalone

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks View Post
    Hi pals
    I'm a beginer with practically no knowledge of whats involved in hosting a website, can anybody pls. tell me what i need to know before i dive into the business.
    First you need a domain name, which you can buy from places like NameCheap and Enom. Then you will need a basic shared hosting package to host your new website. I don't see how you can call it a business, unless you intend to start a hosting company.

Use some form of a CMS (Joomla, WordPress, SMF, etc) and it should be pretty straight forward. If you can ask any specific questions I am sure you will get more specific/better answers.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

1. What type of website are you planning to create? - Blog, forum, etc
    2. How are you going to run your website? Is it going to be hand-coded or will you be using a content management tool such WordPress?
    3. With the answer to the above, what are your server requirements? Php/MySQL/others, and what versions thereof? The answer to this will be your basis in looking for a web host.
    4. Are you willing to pay for a domain?
    5. Are you willing to pay for hosting or would you just like to have it hosted with a free service?

These are five basic things you need to answer if you plan to have a website.

Quote Originally Posted by ShiSia View Post
    1. What type of website are you planning to create? - Blog, forum, etc
    2. How are you going to run your website? Is it going to be hand-coded or will you be using a content management tool such WordPress?
    3. With the answer to the above, what are your server requirements? Php/MySQL/others, and what versions thereof? The answer to this will be your basis in looking for a web host.
    4. Are you willing to pay for a domain?
    5. Are you willing to pay for hosting or would you just like to have it hosted with a free service?

These are five basic things you need to answer if you plan to have a website.
    and how much disk space and traffic per month you think your web site will get.

will i build my self or hire website designer?
    911URGENTENTERPRISE.COM - Online New Zealand Webhosting Center
    █ All Your data back up daily
    CUSTOMER SUPPORT 24/7 Customer Support, Phone Support, Live Chat Support , Free Videos Tutorials, Extensive Online Documentation, Integrated Ticketing System, One-Hour Ticket/E-mail Response Guarantee

will i build my self or hire website designer?
    Or use a free template
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee