hostgator template!

I really liked the hostgator template (I mean the frontpage of hostgator),is it okay to create a template looks like their style? is such template already exist, the same style or similar ?

Well if you are starting a web hosting business than you should create your own unique and different website. But I think hostgator is not a template.

You could certainly use it as an "inspiration" but I wouldn't do anything that looks like a direct copy/rip or you'll see yourself facing DMCA and other legal issues and you would likely have to take the design offline.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

their resellers get to use their template I believe (I've seen plenty of that) but as mike said, you shouldn't try to rip off the site completely, You'll eventually have a lawsuit on your hands and that's more of a headache than trying to come up with an unique design.

Quote Originally Posted by njoker555 View Post
    their resellers get to use their template I believe (I've seen plenty of that) but as mike said, you shouldn't try to rip off the site completely, You'll eventually have a lawsuit on your hands and that's more of a headache than trying to come up with an unique design.
    They don't let their resellers use *their* design but they do offer a bunch of free templates to their resellers.

then all the ones I've seen are probably people ripping off hostgator - pretty sad then.

It happens way to much. Ripping gets a big thumbs down

If anything just get a free template a modify it a bit

I believe they offer resellers access to hundreds of templates including hosting ones. Maybe you can find one in there that is a good fit for you.

Dave

The biggest mistake you can make when you're starting out is rip or be heavily influenced by someone else's website design. You will need your own unique design if you are really seeking long term success in the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by njoker555 View Post
    then all the ones I've seen are probably people ripping off hostgator - pretty sad then.
    With their huge size, it's not hard to see why their site is often ripped.

Quote Originally Posted by db09 View Post
    I believe they offer resellers access to hundreds of templates including hosting ones. Maybe you can find one in there that is a good fit for you.

Dave
    Yes, they do indeed

You will need your own unique design if you are really seeking long term success in the industry.
    It can help, but it's not a "need" or absolute requirements. Hosts have started out using a template and made a name for themselves by providing what they promised -- good hosting service.

A unique web design may get you a bit of press if it's really impressive, but that's about it, and it'll only happen for something like 1 in 1000 hosts anyway. Other than that, the site must just do its job - inform potential customers and lead them to the order page, and, like any self respectable store, be orderly and clean.

If there would be anything I would copy from Hostgator, it would thus be the website structure, what information is presented on each page an in which manner -- assuming that I hold a belief or have information that their site does a great job at selling. I would definitely keep away from a look that would make anyone think "Hostgator" though. It cannot possibly be worth the risk of bad press of DMCA complications.

Beyond being unique - a web hosting provider's site needs to be organized and easy to understand and navigate. If your potential customers want to sign up but cannot figure out where the "order now" button is as an example you're unlikely to get many orders.

If they want to see what shared hosting plans you offer but they cannot find the plan comparison/breakdown page - you're unlikely to get many orders