Angry ScarabWeb 5 Month Review

Hello -
    Although I've been with them longer for SSL certs (and through a reseller), I've had my reseller package for five months, so can say that I've been a reseller customer with them for that long. Until the recent buy out, their service was excellent! Tickets were handled within minutes usually. Downtime was minimal. And my site which at various times has run Wordpress/CRE Loaded/Joomla+Virtuemart ran super fast.

Then the company was sold.

Downtime immediately became excessive. Tickets took days to get replies.

However, the icing on the cake happened in the server move. When the new owners moved the servers they DID NOT move my SSL certs on the packages and they did not move, or create new dedicated IP addresses, yet they continued to bill me for them. I renewed my SSL Cert on 08/31 for a particular domain, and it was only after I opened a support ticket and actually followed up did they actually place the order TWO WEEKS later.

We were told during the server move to email any concerns to a Steve. I have sent two, very polite emails (in my "day job" I am a help desk person so I try to be really nice to my tech people. ) to which I have never received a reply.

Since the only way to contact them is through a ticket, I then opened a ticket to their customer service department, because I really wanted to discuss and work out these issues with them since my reseller package is good until next year and I had done quite a bit of business. I finally was told that I could reach them through IM. I gave my IM name and availability and was told that I was added to their "buddy list". Seven days later, without contacting me, the ticket was closed.

Apparently the new owners have no desire whatsoever to provide their customers with any sort of service.

I am currently moving my sites to my new host, with whom I am very pleased. And I am saddened to see a once-great company harmed by its new owners.

Sorry to hear things are not going in the right direction there.

I am currently moving my sites to my new host, with whom I am very pleased.
    I sure hope you'll be reviewing them as well in due time. It is good to share both types of experiences, negative and positive.

I'm an annual subscriber to ScarabWeb's hosting and into my 10th month soon. It is very true that after Steve (Higashi) took over, the company has been falling and failing incredibly fast. But then, I sort of had a feeling that this was going to be happening when MadeIT was merging into a brand called ScarabWeb, rather than taking ScarabWeb under their brand.

I'm sorry to hear about this. Out of curiosity who are you moving to jupitergardens?
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Sorry to hear about this. This tends to happen when a company gets bought out by another. It usually takes some time for the new company to get everything settled which can be frustrating so I get where you're coming from on this. Good luck with your new provider though

Same experience, they were a great company until they got sold. After a server move, they lost all my email forwarding (which I did not notice until somebody complained and which they certainly did not bother to mention). After about twenty emails and 'support tickets' they're no closer to restoring them as I get a reponse from a different person each time who clearly hasn't read the other replies. AWFUL service. I came here to look for new host.

I only have one site left to move off my old account. I just moved one over the weekend. Went to move my SSL and all the info isn't valid. Now, I have to wonder if they really did renew my SSL cert in August (took them two weeks to do so) or if they just tossed something else on there... anyway... ticket open for help, been two days with only "forwarding to my admin" responses. At this point, I'm thinking of cancelling it and filling with paypal to get my money back.

At this point, I'm thinking of cancelling it and filling with paypal to get my money back.
    Careful there. Virtual items do no fall under Paypal's buyer protection policy.

Sorry to hear you had problems too. I know what you mean after they got sold the new maigers just keep treating their customers like dirt.

I was with them for 18 months and all was well till they were sold. I left my own 18 month review here on WHT too documenting my experiences.
    Ariolander - Amateur Web Developer
    Anime, Manga,
    And Web Design A Haiku
    Of My Pastimes

As a longtime user of Scarabweb myself it is really disappointing to see what has happened to the company after the sale. Good luck with your new host however!

Setting the record straight.

I am Steve Higashi and I DO NOT own or have any part ownership in this company. I was only temporarily outsourced from the owner to handle some of the over flow. The previous owner will also confirm that I am not the new owner of Scarabweb. I only stayed on for a few weeks at most and have since been consulting for other hosting companies. I don't usually check these forums, but the odd time I do check (google) to see comments left about me and well, this one is not true. I'd prefer if you'd edit it out please. I have a solid history in hosting and do not appreciate false statements, especially when my business is 100% word of mouth.

At the same time, I do not like to see people unhappy, so I will see what I can do and speak with the owner (Chris) and see if any of these issues can be resolved in an orderly fashion. I sincerely do feel bad for this and while I won't badmouth any company, something went wrong somewhere.

I just registered with this account, so I cannot receive PM's, but you can search for me on linkedin and I will do my best to help you out. If you have moved to another host then I wish you all the best.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by md5com View Post
    I am Steve Higashi and I DO NOT own or have any part ownership in this company. I was only temporarily outsourced from the owner to handle some of the over flow. The previous owner will also confirm that I am not the new owner of Scarabweb. I only stayed on for a few weeks at most and have since been consulting for other hosting companies. I don't usually check these forums, but the odd time I do check (google) to see comments left about me and well, this one is not true. I'd prefer if you'd edit it out please. I have a solid history in hosting and do not appreciate false statements, especially when my business is 100% word of mouth.

Steve
    I knew ScarabWeb long before, and once want to tried their VPS.
    I also saw lots of company first come with friendly support, grow and then sold-out.

Ok, back to the topics, I just google and found this URL:
    https://clients.scarabweb.com/announcements.php?id=21

Only Steve Higashi and Patrick names appeared in this annoucement, even no words saying Steve was the new owner, but it made everyone think Steve bought this company. Agreed?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by NelsonT; 10-02-2009 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Upload Announcement pdf

Ok Fair enough. For the record, no, I did not buy the company. I can also provide references from not only very well respected indiviuals in the industry, but from my current clients..ANY of them that will vouch for me that I am very capable of offering excellent service.

My offer is on the table to help straighten this out. Thank you Nelson for pointing that out and I'd like to say thanks for doing that research and trying to get to the bottom of it yourself. I have personally felt that the company was losing a bit of control, but I didn't realize there were that many issues until much after I left...which was I think sometime early August.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by md5com View Post
    My offer is on the table to help straighten this out. Thank you Nelson for pointing that out and I'd like to say thanks for doing that research and trying to get to the bottom of it yourself. I have personally felt that the company was losing a bit of control, but I didn't realize there were that many issues until much after I left...which was I think sometime early August.
    Steve
    I apologized to you for the wording, if you think I'm pushing you too much.
    Actually, I'm just interested in knowing what happened to ScarabWeb.
    ScarabWeb was a good company from the past posts and reviews in WHT as I knew. So sorry to hear this.

Nelson

15. Quote Originally Posted by md5com View Post
    Ok Fair enough. For the record, no, I did not buy the company. I can also provide references from not only very well respected indiviuals in the industry, but from my current clients..ANY of them that will vouch for me that I am very capable of offering excellent service.

Steve
    So Steve, if your offer is on the table to straighten this out AND your email (attn: all cliente of ScarabWeb) (Should you have any questions on who we are and what we do, then please contact me, [email protected], as I will be overseeing the day to day operations from now on and in the future.) why have you not replied to my emails of August 28 and the follow up on Sept 2 entitled "customer service issues"?

Better yet, why am I being told that the SSL that you said you were finally putting the order in to ENOM nearly TWO WEEKS after I paid for it is invalid?

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but the amount of money and productivity lost to me and my business through the month of August and September, and now seems to be spilling over into October due to ScarabWeb's inability to follow up on tickets in a timely manner is astounding. If I treated my customers like this, I guarantee you I wouldn't have a business, or cusotmers. And I'm afraid that's where Scarabweb is heading.(For example, my one most recent ticket about the SSL cert was put on hold AFTER I provided the info, and it took four days and a follow up email for someone to say "they'll get the info to me shortly" as to why it's on hold...).

So please, if you are here to "straighten things out", I sure hope you'll do so.I look forward to your assistance with this matter.

ETA - And now I see through this thread that you left EARLY AUGUST. Which makes me wonder why you would solicit imput from Scarabweb's current customers on JULY 29, if you were going to be leaving.

ETA one more time -- But wait a minute, your statement that you left in Early August doesn't add up, when your reply on a 09/04 ticket has your full name on it. Unless someone was impersonating you...

<ticket reads...>
    We do apologies for the delay we have issued a renew from Enom.com we are awaiting on their confirmation.

Regards,
    Steve Higashi
    ScarabWeb | Quality Hosting Solutions
    </end ticket>

I'm sorry, but these statements are not adding up.
    Last edited by jupitergardens; 10-03-2009 at 06:15 AM.

I don't want this to turn into a soap opera. I know you are upset and I am going to try to help those that are still with Scarabweb. No guarantees if I can get the service that you deserve. It if was on my platform, servers, network, bandwidth, I could guarantee you for sure, but no, I can't. I'm only here to say that I am going to do what I can. If you have left to another host, then I don't see how I can help you unless you need some pointers on how to get or do something.

As for the ticket....I never answered any tickets in Sept for sure, so they must be using my name. You can pick and poke at the info, but I'm not here to waste time. If anyone wishes to contact me for my help, please ask, if not then, I wish you the best.

Hopefully once the dust settles things will return as they once were.
    JixHost | U.S.A. based hosting & support for 8+ years. | Powerful, reliable network.
    JixHost.com | Instant Activation | Trusted by over 115,000 clients served globally.
    █ Cloud VPS | Alpha Reseller | Master Reseller | Reseller | BBB Rated "A+".
    █ 24/7/365 Help desk support | Recurring Affiliate Program available.

18. Quote Originally Posted by md5com View Post
    As for the ticket....I never answered any tickets in Sept for sure, so they must be using my name. You can pick and poke at the info, but I'm not here to waste time. If anyone wishes to contact me for my help, please ask, if not then, I wish you the best.
    I don't want this to turn into a soap opera either. The thing is, if indeed, you weren't involved since early August (were you aware servers were down way more than they were up during August?), I still have two emails to steve(a)scarabweb.net that weren't answered, and it would have been professional on either yours or Scarabweb's end, to notify the community after your 07/29 email that said we were to contact you that you wouldn't be handling things anymore.

If they were, indeed, using your name, you might want to have them stop before it harms your reputation along with theirs. Because I'm sure I can't be the only person who saw the 07/29 note and saw you as the "face" of Scarabweb.

At this point, the best help you could provide would be to see if I could get some refunds. Because of inaction on a ticket and Scarabweb's not updating my control panel with the renewed SSL info, I am out the SSL I renewed on 08/31. I'm afraid I'll be out the other one too. We'll see how this weekend's transfer goes.

ok,

i have a history of other work with the current owner, so I will see what I can do...3 outcomes..

1. no refund
    2. partial refund
    3. full refund

I think 3 is unlikely, 2 possible and 1 most likey..just my opinion, but again..lets see what happens.

How can I contact you privately?

20. My website is in my profile and there is a contact me form there. Or, if you still have access to your steve(a)scarabweb.com email, you have my emails of August 28 and Sept 4.

Thank you. I am hoping for #2, and only for unused portions (which would include the entire SSL I paid for on 08/31 since if you count all the downtime in August, the 17 days I got to use it still results in a negative number of days it was available for use.)

I am now being told that RapidSSL takes days? Like four to five days, if not longer to update their systems. I'm hoping someone can confirm, or deny, because in the world of hosting, I would think turntimes like that would not be feasible for keeping customers.

Thank you.

Crying shame what happened to you Steve. I must say during that transition time with ScarabWeb yours was the only name I ever saw. I think I might have directed some mis guided anger at you as well but ScarabWeb left a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths. I know I and 2 others on this forum left because of it and during that time yours was the only name that ever appeared.

Guilty by association? Maybe a victim of circumstance instead... I dunno but I am just trying to get it all behind me. A year and a half of good times and in the period of 3 months it all went down the drain and good names were dragged in the mud.
    Ariolander - Amateur Web Developer
    Anime, Manga,
    And Web Design A Haiku
    Of My Pastimes

Jupiter:

Your email service@ is bouncing for me and I tried to send an email via your form, but I haven't heard from you, so I don't know if you got it or not.

Ariolander:

Hosting is very up and down and sometimes you are going to hit a curb somewhere. It's part of the business and no one is perfect, so I have to take them as they come. At least people know now and we can carry on doing business. I am going to do my best to help people out.

Thanks for writing that...I feel better now 8-)

23. Quote Originally Posted by md5com View Post
    Jupiter:

Your email service@ is bouncing for me and I tried to send an email via your form, but I haven't heard from you, so I don't know if you got it or not.
    Have you tried recently? I made the final switchover of my last domain, which happens to be the main one this weekend and the MX records got a little goofed up (my bad, oops!). It's all straightened out now.

However, interestingly enough, I got phenomenal pre-transition turn around and help on my last ticket this evening, transferring the SSL for that last domain. Don't know if its my posts here or what that might have caused it.

I am the CEO of ScarabWeb, First of all i would like to apologize for the long wait. I had some problems with my account here at WHT. Second i would like to say that yes we did have major problems at the the beginning of our transfer, but this is typical. We were transferring 3 servers and the servers were fully packed. The transfer did take about a week after wards there was allot of customizing done to the server to fit the users needs. MYSQL kept crashing and than the server kept crashing. After 2 weeks we have everything stabled and till now everything is stabled. We have also hired more support staff to response faster and now we provide 24/7 live chat support for level 1 support. As of you jupitergardens i do apologies for the problems you had with us. If i am not mistaken your the one who just requested a refund for your SSL. I do apologies for your SSL we have reissued it on our server than 3 days later you asked to reissue it on another server, we done that but as we said it can take up to 7-10 business days for it to be reissued. I would like to make a personal apologies to you and will refund your payment right away. I do hope the best for everyone and will tell everyone that ScarabWeb still provides the support and great deals you had before with the old owner, and even better. If anyone have any questions please PM me right away i will be visiting this account 4 times a day to check for PM's. If someone have problems please also do PM me personally and i"ll help you