Thumbs down America’s Healthy Future Act of 2009: Gobsmacked

I'm pretty gobsmacked about America’s Healthy Future Act of 2009:

http://www.digitaljournal.com/articl...ribute=&local=

If the law passes, all US citizens will be FORCED to purchase health insurance.

I wonder what the government will FORCE people to purchase next, a magazine subscription?

If you want to drive a vehicle you need car insurance, but if you don't drive you don't need car insurance. If you want to use a hospital then it would be fine to need to have health insurance, but people who don't want to use a hospital should not be forced to purchase health insurance.

Yes, it's a stupid bill submitted by Sen. Max Baucus.

There's no support for the bill from either Republicans or Democrats, so don't worry about it.

Is that the legislation that would fine people on their income taxes if they didn't purchase health insurance? I read something about $3,800 in fines, or maybe up to that amount, if people do not buy health insurance on their own.
    For HTML Help visit: HTML Help Central
    For Graphic Design help visit: GFXVoid.com
    If you're a GEEK then go where geeks go....

What exactly are we debating? It's my understanding that there is no real healthcare bill merely multiple theories on what the actual bill if it ever passes through committee may or may not contain / look like.

I'd much rather see them pass a bill requiring congress to proudly display the criminal record of all of its members on its public website. Of course the administration has zero intention of following through on their pledge of transparency.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

If you are insured then you will not be fined. If you are uninsured, then a bill requiring health insurance would impact you.

I think we all agree that car insurance should be required. So why is it that you feel your health is worth less than your car? Yes, thats a strawman, you are only required to have liability.

However, say for some reason you contract HIV or are diagnosed with some form of cancer, without health insurance. As the rules are now you'd be pretty screwed.

That may seem outlandish to you and unrelatable. What if one day your walking and accidently walk out and get hit by a car. We can either say you were at fault or that the driver was uninsured and lacks any substantive assets. Your medical bills can easily reach 50k++... a little head trauma/need some plates in your head.... the price goes up... Now you are uninsured and could possibly have 6 figures worth of debt. How will you payback the doctors and hospital?

Will you be filing for medicaid (assuming you can no longer work) or bankruptcy? So now, those that are lucky enough like myself to be able to purchase health insurance gets stuck paying higher fees for everything because of jerks that think they shouldn't need health insurance.

Jerks that lack the common sense to realize stuff like the above can and does happen.

And the sad part is the above applies to the uninsured. What is much more common is that you do in fact have health insurance but when you submitted your disclosures you failed to mention that you had some slight issue and you caught a curable STD in college. Well 20 years later.... you go in and find-out you have some expensive health problem. Your insurance decides curing/treating you is too expensive so they do an investigation on your health-background and discover that you failed to mention some un-related illness 20 years ago... they use that as a reason to drop you.

Once again, if you think we should all be 100% self-sufficient then I'm sure you'd agree that anyone born with severe-autism or down-syndrome or any other serious illness should be killed. Why should my health premiums be raised to pay for your *special* child? Oh you will financially support this special child for the rest of your life and not seek any health reimbursments or any other kind? Okay, what about when you die, will there be a very large trust fund to support this disabled person?

Does that sound bad? So does your argument. I'm not saying we should be giving healthcare away for free. But, I believe, it makes sense for the government to require a little responsibility on the part of it's citizens.
    Last edited by thedunlap; 09-18-2009 at 05:45 PM.

Forced to buy health insurance? Do they want everybody in jail or what? How can anybody get health insurance when its hard to even acquire it in the first place?

do you know why some people are un-insured dude? Because some people CANNOT afford it. So fining people for not purchasing health insurance won't do any good because some people can't afford it. There are homeless people you know, not everyone is middle or upper class.

Some people could have afforded healthcare but their study costs may have increased, so should they scrap their study just to purchase healthcare? I thought america needs doctors, lawyers etc, and without a qualification you can't be one.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunlap View Post
    If you are insured then you will not be fined. If you are uninsured, then a bill requiring health insurance would impact you.

I think we all agree that car insurance should be required. So why is it that you feel your health is worth less than your car? Yes, thats a strawman, you are only required to have liability.

However, say for some reason you contract HIV or are diagnosed with some form of cancer, without health insurance. As the rules are now you'd be pretty screwed.

That may seem outlandish to you and unrelatable. What if one day your walking and accidently walk out and get hit by a car. We can either say you were at fault or that the driver was uninsured and lacks any substantive assets. Your medical bills can easily reach 50k++... a little head trauma/need some plates in your head.... the price goes up... Now you are uninsured and could possibly have 6 figures worth of debt. How will you payback the doctors and hospital?

Will you be filing for medicaid (assuming you can no longer work) or bankruptcy? So now, those that are lucky enough like myself to be able to purchase health insurance gets stuck paying higher fees for everything because of jerks that think they shouldn't need health insurance.

Jerks that lack the common sense to realize stuff like the above can and does happen.

And the sad part is the above applies to the uninsured. What is much more common is that you do in fact have health insurance but when you submitted your disclosures you failed to mention that you had some slight issue and you caught a curable STD in college. Well 20 years later.... you go in and find-out you have some expensive health problem. Your insurance decides curing/treating you is too expensive so they do an investigation on your health-background and discover that you failed to mention some un-related illness 20 years ago... they use that as a reason to drop you.

Once again, if you think we should all be 100% self-sufficient then I'm sure you'd agree that anyone born with severe-autism or down-syndrome or any other serious illness should be killed. Why should my health premiums be raised to pay for your *special* child? Oh you will financially support this special child for the rest of your life and not seek any health reimbursments or any other kind? Okay, what about when you die, will there be a very large trust fund to support this disabled person?

Does that sound bad? So does your argument. I'm not saying we should be giving healthcare away for free. But, I believe, it makes sense for the government to require a little responsibility on the part of it's citizens.

You guys don't get it yet?

Social Security is broke, all the money stolen, when it falls apart they need a new "system" that everyone would want that replaces it "free doctors! come and get it!".

They will try for free food next if this doesn't work :)

They are pushing really hard for this so they all don't get kicked out of office when SS breaks down.

How they can push this into the States and force it on to the so called "We the People" you better do some more research because you are supposed to be the one in charge, the one on top, not the other way around.

How come no one is asking questions about that? It's pretty simple. You are either on top or not, which one is it? And you better be able to prove you are on top, not just say so.