Thread: Colo in NC?

Colo in NC?

I am looking to colo a 1U server in a DC in North Carolina. I would need a 10Mbit line un-metered or a metered 100mbit.

I could negotiate on the bandwidth if its not possible in NC .

I have been researching for a while and the DCs here are very very expensive so far...

Quote Originally Posted by Core Game Servers View Post
    This works out to around 87 bucks a month for 1 server and a 10MBit line... Is that about rite?

Sounds right. I haven't used them personally, but I've heard good things.

I may be a cheapo but that still seems expensive... I can get a dedi server for that price.

Quote Originally Posted by dancrosoft View Post
    I may be a cheapo but that still seems expensive... I can get a dedi server for that price.
    Not with 10Mbps of quality dedicated bandwidth. Then again, maybe you don't need that much. There are cheaper places, but I don't know of any in NC. Any reason you specifically need NC? Maybe you're expecting mostly localized traffic? Even so, unless your application is hyper-latency expensive you could consider other locations.
    Last edited by Microlinux; 09-17-2009 at 09:02 PM.

This thread might help you understand why:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=884437

Is there a particular city/region that you would prefer in NC?

I am in Charlotte - would like some place I can dirve to in a few hours for hardware failures - or a DC that will offer remote hands at a decent price. I am easy going for the most part....

My dilemma as I expressed in a post in the dedi forum was that I have found dedi servers cheaper and 1U of rack space... And one of those dedi servers included an unmetered 10Mbit line....

I am "bamboozled" as to how it can be cheaper for me to rent a pos P4 2.0 with 512MB ram for 50 bucks but it cost me 100 to put in my own servers?

I understand the power (AMPs) but still it seems strange to me...

(sorry for long winded response...) It just seems very difficult to shop for something like this around here.

CaroNet people were insanely expensive like 50 bucks for 1U and 42bucks for 1MBit......

Couldn't get anyone at Peak 10 and HostedSolutions has a minimum of a half rack....

Quote Originally Posted by bdsnyder View Post
    This thread might help you understand why:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=884437
    And thank you for posting this... This thread is full of words lol... But it is still redonkoulous as the only difference is i am supplying the hardware.... So instead of their POS server - it is my super uber server ( haha )..

But in essence the only difference would be that they do not have to maintain or purchase hardware - just rack space and bandwidth - something they would do anyway with a dedicated server - MINUS THE SERVER!!!!!!!!

^ so I still don't understand...

May be this thread/post will help - see #21 in http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?p=6397798 - the difference is in bandwidth
    Professional Streaming services - http://www.tulix.com - info at tulix.com
    Double optimized - AS36820) network, best for live streaming/VoIP/gaming
    The best quality network - AS7219

Quote Originally Posted by tulix View Post
    May be this thread/post will help - see #21 in http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?p=6397798 - the difference is in bandwidth
    I understood that post . So the next questions what is the difference? Why would i get unmetered on a dedi but not on a colo?

I understood that post . So the next questions what is the difference? Why would i get unmetered on a dedi but not on a colo?
    I think the whole business model is different. DO you know how many people on WHT are hosting dedicated servers out of who knows what kind of environments? While with colo you, as a customer should be able to come and see the facilities. I know people without USP, AC, generators still can do dedi hosting. They won't be able to do colo - everything comes for a price.

Usually colo customers are more experienced and know in advance what they need and are paying for that. On another hand how many shared customers are paying $7 for "unlimited bandwidth"? Dedi - somewhere in between (unless it is managed hosting- then it is a different story)
    Professional Streaming services - http://www.tulix.com - info at tulix.com
    Double optimized - AS36820) network, best for live streaming/VoIP/gaming
    The best quality network - AS7219

Quote Originally Posted by tulix View Post
    I think the whole business model is different. DO you know how many people on WHT are hosting dedicated servers out of who knows what kind of environments? While with colo you, as a customer should be able to come and see the facilities. I know people without USP, AC, generators still can do dedi hosting. They won't be able to do colo - everything comes for a price.

Usually colo customers are more experienced and know in advance what they need and are paying for that. On another hand how many shared customers are paying $7 for "unlimited bandwidth"? Dedi - somewhere in between (unless it is managed hosting- then it is a different story)
    Out of their house???? Thats insane... I saw www.wholesaleinternet.net has some good deals... Me apparently being a noob at this - how would it work for me to be in NC and to have a server like in MO?