Unitedcolo $49 deal changed?

Maybe I am mistaken, but did Unitedcolo just update their homepage at http://www.unitedcolo.com/servers.htm ? It now says you "only" get 100 GB for an $49 server, and *thought* it was 300 GB until yesterday (server is still not in stock, though). Would they be seeing the light?

wooooah, how can they offer that lot so cheap

i think it was always 100... i think u were mistaken... ? hmm

yeah, since i've seen uc have offers the $49 was 100gb

it's always been 100gb on their 49$ deal
    though the server hasn't been in stock for some months? now already.
    In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.

$49 for 100G... always like this.... I know because I've got one

I sent them mail a while ago, and was told that they *are* planning on getting more of the $49 servers in, just not right away.

Originally posted by fog
    I sent them mail a while ago, and was told that they *are* planning on getting more of the $49 servers in, just not right away.
    Yes but they won't tell when

I think the thread starter is right. A while ago I remember seeing their $49 deal and it included more than 100GB bandwidth. Oh well.

Originally posted by fgordts

Yes but they won't tell when
    They keep on replying with the same message...Coming in a few weeks.

now they want 300GB and a dedicated server on Tier 1 bandwidth for $49/mth?? It aint gonna happen.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Why should they bring more $49/mo servers in? As people pointed out previously, the $49/mo servers are identical to the $99/mo servers, just with less bandwidth, but i bet they use on average the same amount of bandwidth (few people who ask for 300gb use it, or anything near it). $49/mo servers are just to grab em some fame and popularity, and it seems to work, I could peddle $9.95/mo servers and have them "out of stock" and people would still talk about how they can get $9.95/mo servers from Priority Colo and use it as a measuring stick, regardless of how rediculous it is.
    Myles Loosley-Millman - admin@prioritycolo.com
    Priority Colo Inc. - Affordable Colocation & Dedicated Servers.
    Two Canadian facilities serving Toronto & Markham, Ontario
    http://www.prioritycolo.com

For $49 a month it seems like it is too good to be true.
    Advanced Forum Hosting
    http://www.boardnation.com
    Easily build a community today!

Why should they bring more $49/mo servers in? As people pointed out previously, the $49/mo servers are identical to the $99/mo servers, just with less bandwidth, but i bet they use on average the same amount of bandwidth (few people who ask for 300gb use it, or anything near it).
    I thought about getting one of the $49/month servers for secondary DNS and backups of my main server.
    I currently use 40 GB out of 600 GB on my main server.
    I would probably have used 5 out of 100 GB if one of those were still available.
    Dedicated Servers at Steadfast Networks and Softlayer : Virutal Hosting at FutureQuest : VPS at FutureHosting

Originally posted by porcupine
    Why should they bring more $49/mo servers in? As people pointed out previously, the $49/mo servers are identical to the $99/mo servers, just with less bandwidth, but i bet they use on average the same amount of bandwidth (few people who ask for 300gb use it, or anything near it). $49/mo servers are just to grab em some fame and popularity, and it seems to work, I could peddle $9.95/mo servers and have them "out of stock" and people would still talk about how they can get $9.95/mo servers from Priority Colo and use it as a measuring stick, regardless of how rediculous it is.
    I see your point, but if they really didn't intend to get any more in stock, why would they keep telling us that they should have some soon? Wouldn't it make much more sense for them to tell us that they don't think they'll get any in again, or at least not for a LONG time, and that, if we're interested, we should go for the $99/month server?

I could see how it would be a good 'advertising gimmick' as you said, but the fact that they keep telling people that they should be in stock in a few weeks means that they are either horribly managing this 'scheme,' or else they're being honest and will have some in.

BTW, my understanding of "how" they do this is that dedicated servers aren't their main business. If I had a 100 Mbps line, and was making a profit as an ISP, but half the pipe was going unused, I'd offer some dedicated servers or something on it -- even if they're cheap, it's more money. I'd probably charge $99/month being the selfish person I am, but I think it's entire possible that, even at $49/month, they could be making a profit.

Just unitedcolo for you
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

See the thing is, they either have to have deep pockets (alot of cash to invest into the company) or they are some how getting these servers (equitment) dirt cheap somewhere. OR they are paying monthly for the servers.

Originally posted by fog

I see your point, but if they really didn't intend to get any more in stock, why would they keep telling us that they should have some soon? Wouldn't it make much more sense for them to tell us that they don't think they'll get any in again, or at least not for a LONG time, and that, if we're interested, we should go for the $99/month server?

They do it to keep the hype up and running, if they state they're not gonna have any in for a long time, or ever again, people will generally start to loose interest, and they'll look elsewhere. If united colo says "no more $49/mo servers, go for $99/mo" people will likely just wander over to rackshack or fdcservers, on that note if they leave the $49/mo servers up, they get junkie like users who check the page daily looking for servers, and are more likely to buy from them if they cant get the $49/mo, and better yet, talk about them (how much they want 'em).
    Myles Loosley-Millman - admin@prioritycolo.com
    Priority Colo Inc. - Affordable Colocation & Dedicated Servers.
    Two Canadian facilities serving Toronto & Markham, Ontario
    http://www.prioritycolo.com

Originally posted by porcupine
    ...they get junkie like users who check the page daily looking for servers, and are more likely to buy from them if they cant get the $49/mo, and better yet, talk about them (how much they want 'em).
    This sounds suspiciously like me.