Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How is FATCOW for my website specification

Hi All,

I am very new to web hosting business.
    I am in a jeopardy over fatcow dot com shared hosting.
    I have a website which is hosted in google sites which gets 1500 unique visitors and 13k to 20k hits per day. my max online users count is 115 users and I have 2 sites like this.
    Is it a good idea to go for the fatcows shared hosting or not.
    Is it able to handle this much of load or not.

please let me know your thoughts on this .
    shall i go for it or not????

Probably not. Do you know how much disk space and bandwidth you require for your websites? Do you expect to grow in the coming days, weeks, months? If you expect your traffic to increase eventually then I would advise you to lean towards a host that offers realistic amounts of resources in terms of disk space and bandwidth for better performance and reliability. Also, FatCow requires you to pay for a year up front and it's usually not a good idea to pre-pay a year's worth of service until you're absolutely sure that the provider will be able to support your needs and requirements, as well as room for growth.

Do you have any idea of how much bandwidth you're using? This will be the deciding factor.

Edit: IGX beat me to it

Yes thanks.
    Thats what i was asking like they show up unlimited bandwidth and unlimited disk space and pop mailboxes unlimited is it true or just a show up.

and as you can see i get quite a number of hits is it fine to go with them or any other good hosting is there which you know is the best and you have good experience with .
    i can pay upto $4.5 a month.

Unfortunately nothing is ever unlimited, it's just a marketing gimmick. You're not going to be able to use as much disk space or bandwidth as you want just because they offer "unlimited". They're bound to limit you somewhere. If not disk space or bandwidth then the limits will most likely be based on CPU/Memory usage of your websites. Since your websites have a considerable amount of daily visitors then you'll likely be using a lot more CPU/Memory usage than most websites on a shared plan.

And I think for next 1 yr i will get max 5000 users per day with 30k to 35k hits.. with somewhat within 200gb download each month.

so please suggest what shall i do

Quote Originally Posted by mydl_08 View Post
    Yes thanks.
    Thats what i was asking like they show up unlimited bandwidth and unlimited disk space and pop mailboxes unlimited is it true or just a show up.

and as you can see i get quite a number of hits is it fine to go with them or any other good hosting is there which you know is the best and you have good experience with .
    i can pay upto $4.5 a month.
    Unlimited is a marketing gimmick, and since you don't know the limit yourself you leave it to the hosting company to decide for you when you're using too much, and you can never know when that is.

Your first step should be figuring out how much resources you're using. Then buy a hosting package that meets those needs.

edit: it looks like IGX beat me to it again! btw 200GB is too much.

I just guessed because i dont know how much download is happenening...
    it should be below 90gb but dont know accurately how much.

So can anyone suggest me or share me there exp. on some hosting which i can look for???????????

fatcow's unlimited policy is based on normal usage. basically you can store anything on your site as long as it's related to your site. you cannot use your account to store file unrelated files on your account. i have seen people with upwards of 25 gigs of space used and have no issues.

of course there is no such thing as unlimited...no one claims that.

and am too scared to go for some unknown hosting as i dont want to loose my users and my uptime which is 99.99% with google

Is there any reason you are leaving google?

Even if Fatcow would allow that usage level (unlikely at the price point), they are, as far as I've experienced, slow. I would not host application based sites there, especially ones that are somewhat successful. They deserve better.

Why are you switching hosts? Look, if you're happy with your current host - even if the price seems a little high - I would recommend sticking with them. Switching to a new host always involves some hassles, and you never know what you're getting into. Don't fix what isn't broken!
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

Fatcow is my web host and I don't have any problems with them. But ya web hosts use the word unlimited but it's impossible to actually do that.

And they're on a shared platform, which means your website is hosted on a server with thousands of other customers who are also using up the server resources.

It all depends on what type of website you plan on having. If it's going to be using up alot of server resources I would probably recommend a VPS host.

I have a reseller plan with a new upcoming company called Powermonster. I've been with them for about a year and do not have one complaint about them.
    I host 9 sites and one of them, mine, runs about 300 GB of bandwidth a month.

Check them out and give Scott a call. He's more than willing to talk to you about special needs.

I don't have enough posts here yet to post a link but a Google search will find it.

Hi All,

It seems a fight is being going on ... but my question nobody answered.

Is the specification match with the FATCOW's plan like:
    80GB/month download/Upload
    200 to 300 concurrent users
    4000 unique visitors a day
    15k to 20k hits/page views each day

If someone has hosted there site similar to me with FatCow then please let me know there experience not just a guess that it is good.

My reason to leave google sites is to have full control over my data.
    Though google sites are free but they sucks in control over your data and features.

If I go for a VPS how much it will cost because am not sure i will be able to afford these as my revenue per month is not that high to sustain a vps.

Shall i go for a 1 month plan @ fatcow and check it suits my needs or not.
    Or I should try for 1month in some other hosting ??????????????????????

you should try directly for a small box or a vps
    with 20-40 dollars per month you can get a vps cpanel based
    k-planethost
    shared hosting,reseller vps at http://k-planet.gr

I dont have so much money to sustain a VPS

Hi All,

I am very new to web hosting business.
    I am in a jeopardy over fatcow dot com shared hosting.
    I have a website which is hosted in google sites which gets 1500 unique visitors and 13k to 20k hits per day. my max online users count is 115 users and I have 2 sites like this.
    Is it a good idea to go for the fatcows shared hosting or not.
    Is it able to handle this much of load or not.

please let me know your thoughts on this .
    shall i go for it or not????
    I joined FatCow in August 2009. I have no problems with their support, which is immediate. HOWEVER, must seaerch and find another web host since none of my 15 plus forms (scripts) necessary will work. FatCow did not inform me that they don't help with scripts until after I had joined and called them for script support. I was told it would cost $50 to $75 dollars for script help. No matter what I do, the forms won't work, even though they worked with the previous host (who was too expenseve).

yes thats possible to happen if they have difference on the php.ini
    what scripts you mean php based like forum joomla etc?
    k-planethost
    shared hosting,reseller vps at http://k-planet.gr

Shall i go for a 1 month plan @ fatcow and check it suits my needs or not.
    Or I should try for 1month in some other hosting ??????????????????????
    It looks like you can only pay yearly with Fatcow. So the 1 month test wouldn't work. Personally, I wouldn't put all of my eggs in one basket for a full year especially if you are unsure if the host can handle your site. With that many visitors/hits and their pretty vague resource usage policy I would not be confident making the decision to go with them.

Someone in this thread also mentioned that, in their experience with Fatcow, their web site loads slowly. If speed is also important to you, then I would look elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by k-planethost View Post
    yes thats possible to happen if they have difference on the php.ini
    what scripts you mean php based like forum joomla etc?
    K-Planet,

None of my forms from scripts will work, whether they are PHP or CGI scripts that I already purchased years ago. I am pretty disappointed, because I am not a programmer and trying to fix the scripts is torture for me.

The vast majority of hosts won't support third party scripts.

they wont support helping your install third party scripts, but they should work fine if you know how to install them and if the server meets the script requirements.

Jacob,

Thanks anyway. The problem is that I don't know what I am doing. I am not a programmer and my background is Fine Arts. I purchased scripts in 2001 -2002 from CGIScriptNet, got help from them and the scripts all worked well. My site included astrology and zodiac items. I was giving away free zodiac screensavers that I created, etc. and the forms did what I required. I have left a a few sites with good prices, but horrible support. A couple of hosts didn't allow my scripts to work either.

From what I read in these threads, whenever anyone gets a new web host, in the beginning, things work fine. Then service, etc. becomes horrible. I even had a hosting company (amazingly in the top 10 of best web hosts) where the young tech support guys acted annoyed whenever I called, which was maybe once in every few months. For the kinds of service we pay for, I am almost ready to get a free web host! :-(

Well if your scripts suddenly stop working, it's probably your host changed something in your scripts.

Or they changed something server side.

It is possible that stuff was changed in your scripts. Some hosts run virus scans every so often which automatically goes through every account removing code that might look suspicious(usually iframes).

They should be able to help you troubleshoot the issue if you state that it was working before and you haven't made any changes.

And yes, web hosts probably have techies or are probably young and sound annoyed and not very enthusiastic, but hosting companies have hundreds of employees and some are new and probably not even getting payed that much.

The funny thing is that the FatCow tech support and service is excellent. I initially responded to mydl_08 about FatCow. However, using FatCow with its other advantages does not help me at all since I discovered that my scripts/forms won't work now. Take care.

Why doesn't your scripts/forms work?

Jacob,

I don't know. With FatCow, I changed the URLs, the paths and file permissions as in the scripts' instructions. They worked with the previous, expensive web host and now they won't work with FatCow. I even purchased some other scipts right before I switched hosts and those scipts worked before, but not now. This is too crazy for me! I may have to return to the expensive web host so my scripts will work!?@%$*! :-O

Those scripts might require certain server requirements or a larger amount of server resources or modules. There's always ways to figure out why they dont work. It's possible you could enable some modules via your php.ini file or increase the memory of your account. You could also try checking the error logs too, it might even tell you what the exact issue is.

I used the script checker and viewed the logs, which showed errors that made no sense at times and no error at other times. Forget it! I can't waste any more time. I must place my site where the forms/scripts work. Thanks anyway. Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by JacobSamuels View Post
    they wont support helping your install third party scripts, but they should work fine if you know how to install them and if the server meets the script requirements.
    Woops, I realize I worded that poorly. I meant to say they won't provide tech support installing them or after they are installed.

okie dokie good luck! but if you do have any issues in the future, I bet there must be someone here that is smart enough to help you out with it.

i asked Fatcow via the live chat, the support told me they do not offer dedicated IP.

So i cannot sign up with them

Quote Originally Posted by Vrindavan View Post
    i asked Fatcow via the live chat, the support told me they do not offer dedicated IP.

So i cannot sign up with them
    Nope, they don't offer dedicated IP's.. that's because they're a shared web host.. and of course you wouldn't have a dedicated IP when you're only paying a few dollars a month.. but most people shouldn't even need them... but can't really complain when you're only paying a few dollars a month

>> because they're a shared web host

many shared hosts offer dedicated IP

Quote Originally Posted by Vrindavan View Post
    >> because they're a shared web host

many shared hosts offer dedicated IP
    Ya, and there are a lot who don't too Why would someone need a dedicated IP anyways?

They would need a dedicated IP for SSL Certificate. That's the most common reason on shared hosting.
    hostingDifferent---We're hostingDifferent.
    Premium, Managed and DIY WordPress hosting DONE RIGHT.
    Find out what SERVICE really means!--We're hostingDifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by powerMonster-Scott View Post
    They would need a dedicated IP for SSL Certificate. That's the most common reason on shared hosting.
    well Fatcow offers SSL certificates too. Maybe you get a dedicated IP from that.

I use FatCow right now and I see no problems with speed. Only downside is the control panel. It does not use cpanel and it takes a while to adjust to FatCow's own control panel. At $44/year, however, FatCow is always worth a try.
    Last edited by Mike V; 11-12-2009 at 12:27 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast