Looking for Software Project Ideas

Hey guys, it's my last semester of college as a CS major, and my final project is to build a software system using OOP style. It can be pretty muchanything, but I'm having a difficult time coming up with ideas that will end up being more than just a "passing grade" project. Ideally, I'd like to create something that I can release to the public for free, and that people will actually use.

Any ideas you guys could give me for a software project would be great! Thanks!

Web based or local computer based? What language?

Either web-based or PC-based would be cool. Personally I'd like to do something web-based, but a good PC-based idea might be just as good. I'd prefer to write it in PHP, but I think it would be better to write it in Java because my professor isn't a PHP fan.

At the very least write it in Java because you'll get more practice in a language that could very well pay more than PHP would, and having a degree, you're going to have debt right?

First thing for an idea is to look for things that you think can be improved, or things you would at least do differently.

The first idea that pops into my head is a point of sale system for a retail environment. I've seen some shockers out there, and only a few good ones. Another idea could be some sort of server monitoring software. Third could be a decent CMS (if you wanted to use PHP). They could be some ideas that work and help you get more than a passing grade.

Rochester, NY
    I have been getting a lot of requests for low cost e-mail archiving. Maybe a linux based affordable e-mail archiving software with a good web interface.