HostGator's Dedicated Server Competition?

When it comes down to host gator and their dedicated server plan who is thier competitor? I like their great support but their server is expensive and i need to upgrade. I just got a dedicated server from them ( basic plan) and it cannot handle my script. i want to upgrade to their Elite or Pro package but too expensive for me at the momment . Im looking for great support , email, phone, and chat, and dedicated plans similar to their Elite and pro package at a much lower price. Host must help me manage the server.

Good support comes at a price. You cut the price you cut the quality of support. Although it looks like HG is a semi-managed provider. What kind of support are you exactly looking for?

Regards
    UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    [ cPanel Varnish Nginx Plugin ] - Enhance LiteSpeed and Apache Performance
    www.unixy.net - Los Angeles | Houston | Atlanta | Rotterdam
    Love to help pro bono (time permitting). joe > unixy.net

ever since i upgraded to their dedicated basic plan i been getting a lot of problems running my script smoothly. It crashing the Mysql and eating a lot of CPU and memory. I would have them go into SSH and change mysql max_user connections , php process limits , reboot server. i don't know how to label this support but it just basic stuff ? I dont know how to use SSH and the commands so i let them do it for me. everytime i have an issue with my server they are there to support me. just that i need to upgrade to a faster server but cant cause their prices for me right now is too high .

Quote Originally Posted by jdmeg6 View Post
    ever since i upgraded to their dedicated basic plan i been getting a lot of problems running my script smoothly. It crashing the Mysql and eating a lot of CPU and memory. I would have them go into SSH and change mysql max_user connections , php process limits , reboot server. i don't know how to label this support but it just basic stuff ? I dont know how to use SSH and the commands so i let them do it for me. everytime i have an issue with my server they are there to support me. just that i need to upgrade to a faster server but cant cause their prices for me right now is too high .
    That might be more than semi-managed. Have you asked them to investigate the root cause of the load and optimize accordingly (bad SQL, Apache tuning, MySQL tuning, PHP caching, etc)?

Regards
    UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    [ cPanel Varnish Nginx Plugin ] - Enhance LiteSpeed and Apache Performance
    www.unixy.net - Los Angeles | Houston | Atlanta | Rotterdam
    Love to help pro bono (time permitting). joe > unixy.net

What kind of budget do you have to work with? There are many many many good server providers who have decent prices who own there own hardware. I would check out the forums for some good deals, and reviews.
    Jeremy Miller - Account Executive
    SingleHop Inc. - Dedicated Servers Exclusive Specials - www.singlehop.com/jeremymiller
    Phone: 1-866-817-2811 ext. 103

It sounds like you have a server management problem. Most servers, out of the box, need to be performance tuned for your specific application. You might want to consider finding a competent management company to further suggest if you need a more powerful server, or if it's just a configuration issue. The worst idea is to just rent a different server and assume the problems will magically go away.

Host Gator is more expensive than other providers because they do not own anything. Every server is leased from The Planet so if you're looking for cheaper / better, I'd suggest finding a company that owns the hardware at which they could sell them for much cheaper and offer some kind of management for a similar price.
    #---.#---###### | Host Mist LLC - Helping People Say Hello World™
    #---.#---#--#--# || Shared, Reseller, Master Reseller, VPS, Dedicated
    ####---#--#--# }| Featuring multiple locations across the US & Germany.
    #---#---#--#--# #| Connecting the world through web hosting.