Lunarpages Review!

I bought their shared hosting package around one and half years ago but started to use their services in this year and its been around 4-5 months and i am quite satisfied with their service! Had a problem only one time when my site was not opening, however, i sent an email and when i got their reply, the problem had been vanished!
    I suggested them to install some more free scripts like phpbb3 but got no reply yet.)
    That's it!

Nice - what kind of site are you hosting with them? Is it one of the ones in your signature or something else?
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

This is the polar opposite of several Lunarpages reviews that have popped up here in the past. I'm glad you are happy with them.

Just out of curiosity, do you monitor your uptime?

Dave

At this point in time, I'd say that LP's main disadvantage is the proprietary control panel. But, they're working on it, and it may become an advantage in the long run. I still don't understand why so many hosts rush to apply insufficiently developed software.

The uptime needs significant improvements too, based on my experience. On the plus side, the server is quite snappy.

Had a problem only one time when my site was not opening, however, i sent an email and when i got their reply, the problem had been vanished!
    Do you monitor uptime in any way other than personal visits to your site?
    Last edited by ldcdc; 09-16-2009 at 05:16 PM.

I would like to know his uptime as in the past their site always seemed down.

I used LP in 2004 for around 6 months. They were pretty decent back then.

owm
    ()
    Life's what you make it.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    Nice - what kind of site are you hosting with them? Is it one of the ones in your signature or something else?
    I have actually hosted two websites and one of them is in my signature)

Quote Originally Posted by db09 View Post
    This is the polar opposite of several Lunarpages reviews that have popped up here in the past. I'm glad you are happy with them.

Just out of curiosity, do you monitor your uptime?

Dave
    Well honestly speaking, i don't monitor uptime. I almost visit daily to my web admin panel and its working whenever i am logged in there?

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    At this point in time, I'd say that LP's main disadvantage is the proprietary control panel. But, they're working on it, and it may become an advantage in the long run. I still don't understand why so many hosts rush to apply insufficiently developed software.

The uptime needs significant improvements too, based on my experience. On the plus side, the server is quite snappy.

Do you monitor uptime in any way other than personal visits to your site?
    I dont monitor uptime actually. I already said just visits to my site admin panel two three times a day

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    I just transferred somebody off of a LunarPages server and it was running cPanel with a custom theme???

Well LP has to have some happy customers (otherwise, they still wouldn't be in business)... I guess...
    bihira.com | 10+ Years of Web Hosting Experience!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    cPanel | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Softaculous
    Find us on facebook and follow us on twitter @bihira

I signed up with LP 3 years ago and I was hosting 3 sites with them, I had not problem what so ever for a private site,

around 6 month ago servers started crashing very frequently, my sites DB errors were saying "Server is shutting down" as the reason, and the sites were unaccessible for at least the next 15 min very offen, which I overlooked,

but a month ago they suddenly suspended my account without any notice, warning or anything, a complete blackout from my site, after many emails and calls they told me my site (with no changes over the last year) was suddenly using too much CPU/RAM (~3%) and it would effect their servers greatly in the Long Run, so they had to take Immediate Action,

I was so frustrated and angry and after I got them to give back my files that was the end of it for me in LP, I moved to a new hosting, and I had already prepaid for the next 2 years a few month before that.

Quote Originally Posted by xhuntersh View Post
    I signed up with LP 3 years ago and I was hosting 3 sites with them, I had not problem what so ever for a private site,

around 6 month ago servers started crashing very frequently, my sites DB errors were saying "Server is shutting down" as the reason, and the sites were unaccessible for at least the next 15 min very offen, which I overlooked,

but a month ago they suddenly suspended my account without any notice, warning or anything, a complete blackout from my site, after many emails and calls they told me my site (with no changes over the last year) was suddenly using too much CPU/RAM (~3%) and it would effect their servers greatly in the Long Run, so they had to take Immediate Action,

I was so frustrated and angry and after I got them to give back my files that was the end of it for me in LP, I moved to a new hosting, and I had already prepaid for the next 2 years a few month before that.
    That's quite unacceptable. My site is gaining traffic too and so far have no problem yet! lets see what happens in future)

Shared hosting is bad in general, if you planning something big (which you all are if you into hosting). You should start off with VPS ( there some cheap one @ less than $10 USD per month, save you alot of hassle)

Yeah i got hosting with LP... This is my history log (or as far as i can remember)

- Brought LP 2 year cause it was on sale!
    - Use Wordpress on it, few month later, suspended due to high CPU usage? They told me i was using too much CPU? when there only about 10-15 visitor every hour or so?... So i disable the site.
    - Since Wordpress uses alot of unnecessary access, i wrote my own blog system which very low. Gets about 100-500 visitor every hour.. They banned my templates folder saying Apache was using too much resource rendering pages layout?

- That when i got ticked off. i just don't host anything on that account any more. since i still got more than 1 year over.. i use it to stash files for pplz to remote fetch to megaupload/rapidshare for example.

So Shared Hosting is bad. Been using VPS ever since, it's run smoothly

I'm with dmehosting, 35 GB, 1500 GB W at less than 9 USD a month! my site makes 60 USD a month from ads and increasing, so i had no problem of paying bill on time

Quote Originally Posted by Xantar View Post
    Shared hosting is bad in general, if you planning something big (which you all are if you into hosting). You should start off with VPS ( there some cheap one @ less than $10 USD per month, save you alot of hassle)
    And if you plan on having a cell phone you need to get an iPhone or a BlackBerry. If you plan on driving a car you should go straight for a BMW or hey why not... a Bentley?

There's no need for a VPS unless you need to do something custom that requires out-of-the-ordinary modules to be installed on a server or you outgrow shared/semi-dedicated.

I just transferred somebody off of a LunarPages server and it was running cPanel with a custom theme???
    I don't know about that, and I was surprised because I knew them to be cPanel based. What I saw (can't connect to it right now due to ISP issues), wasn't called cPanel and didn't really seem to be cPanel when it comes to functionality.

http://www.lunarpages.com/cpanel-fantastico/ might explain something about it. I didn't pay any $2 fee. (can't actually visit that page either; I relied on a Google cache to read its content)

http://wiki.lunarpages.com/Category:LPCP seems to be what I have access to as a control panel, and it says:

Welcome to the web hosting help category for the LPCP (Lunarpages Control Panel). Also, please note you might see this identified as the Alpaca Server Management Portal. This control panel was built by our own staff to better suit the ever changing needs of our web hosting clients. Check out the tutorials, tips and more here about the LPCP so that you can learn how to get the most out of it.
    I suppose that older customers of Lunarpages do and have always had access to cPanel.

Maybe the person was paying extra for cPanel, I'm not sure - I'll ask

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    And if you plan on having a cell phone you need to get an iPhone or a BlackBerry. If you plan on driving a car you should go straight for a BMW or hey why not... a Bentley?

There's no need for a VPS unless you need to do something custom that requires out-of-the-ordinary modules to be installed on a server or you outgrow shared/semi-dedicated.
    lol very well said.