Why to use many VPSs ?

Hi,

When i purchased my first VPS, i had also the idea of getting may of them .. but why ? Using a one VPS is enough i think ! You can order more Disk Space for small fee and also add Bandwidth to it !

So why going on purchasing many VPSs ? Anything that might help business if we own many of them ?

Load balancing or clustering. Spreading out your availability in multiple locations (customers tend to like having multiple locations to choose from for hosting). VPSs with different providers: Not putting all your eggs in one basket, etc.

There's a multitude of reasons for having multiple VPSs. It's just a matter of what your own reasons are for that that make the need important, if need be.
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

It also depends if your VPS is on a "server" or cloud / grid / san with failover and raid. If its on the latter, chances are one VPS would be enough (although you would be subject to network outages).

I'm a VPS test nut, I like to test hosts on a regular basis so I normally have around half a dozen accounts or more at any given time.

If you're just using them for standard cPanel style hosting, not putting all your eggs in one basket would be one big reason. You might have reached the capacity of one VPS, or you might want to separate out services, such as MySQL, onto a separate VPS that you could allocate different resources to.

This is much the same question as why anyone would buy more than one dedicated server, and like Douglas said you might want to load balance, have replicated MySQL etc. etc.
    Jo Stonehouse - Kualowww.kualo.com
    Shared Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Cloud VPS & Dedicated Servers
    UK: 0800 138 3235 ❘ USA: 1-800-995-8256

Quote Originally Posted by WebHost911 View Post
    Hi,

When i purchased my first VPS, i had also the idea of getting may of them .. but why ? Using a one VPS is enough i think ! You can order more Disk Space for small fee and also add Bandwidth to it !

So why going on purchasing many VPSs ? Anything that might help business if we own many of them ?
    Well, for redundancy, is one good reason. If you have a site that simply must be up. For instance, I have one customer who has his site spread across 7 VPSs, with load balancing and DNS failover, geographically across the US, and at 4 different providers. The idea is to eliminate all single points of failure.

Having 1 of anything guarantees downtime sooner or later. All hardware has issues, all providers have downtime. It's not a matter of "if", but a matter of "when".
    This is the best signature in the world....Tribute!
    (It is not the best signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute)

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Load balancing or clustering. Spreading out your availability in multiple locations (customers tend to like having multiple locations to choose from for hosting). VPSs with different providers: Not putting all your eggs in one basket, etc.

There's a multitude of reasons for having multiple VPSs. It's just a matter of what your own reasons are for that that make the need important, if need be.
    Ditto to the load balancing and clustering for web apps / large resource intensive websites. You could have a setup with a web + mysql cluster or something similar.

Also as he said, there are so many reasons why people have more then one VPS so asking on a public forum (such as WHT) you should get a couple of different reasons

-K
    Kody R.
    Sr. Operations Analyst
    100TB.com -> Awesome dedicated servers. 20 locations & lots of bandwidth
    VPS.NET -> Cloud Hosting. 18 Locations. Check out our website!