Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cubichost problems - anyone else?

Is anyone else having problems with their cubichost account? The server appears to be totally down (at least from my location), and email to support won't go out. Am I alone? Does anyone have a contact for the admin or any news on this?

Their site is not loading for me either. If there is any number displayed in their whois record try a call.

* ns2.cubichost.org returned (SERVFAIL)
    * ns1.cubichost.org returned (SERVFAIL)
    Ore Stone Radio
    Playing the best unsigned new music 24 hours a day
    Musicians - Visit our forums to submit your music for airplay

www.orestoneradio.com an Ore Stone Music Ltd. Company

Is the website cubichost.com ?
    We develop brand identity for the web.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Services ~ Custom Web Design, Branding & Identity, Development, Hosting & more!
    Portfolio ~ Websites, User Interfaces, Widgets & more!

Quote Originally Posted by The-Pixel View Post
    Is the website cubichost.com ?
    Ah, never mind 'Ore Stone Radio' posted before me.
    We develop brand identity for the web.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Services ~ Custom Web Design, Branding & Identity, Development, Hosting & more!
    Portfolio ~ Websites, User Interfaces, Widgets & more!

re: cubichost

Their home page is at: cubichost.org
    Looks like the admin tel number is blocked on my WHOIS.
    WHOIS shows a valid registration.
    Ping/tracert, etc goes nowhere.
    DNS search also no good.
    When I try to email their support my email client goes into a long loop and then times out - probably because the SMTP server can't get the message out.
    I tried emailing to the "encrypted" email addy listed on WHOIS and it appeared to go out. No reply yet. The first part of the address is shown as "****" so I can't be sure of much.
    I bought a one year hosting package very recently and the person running things (Cameron) seemed very helpful. Also, the server was working quite well until this.
    I was away for several days ... then went to back to continue building my site, only to find the whole thing gone .... with no warning.
    I hope they haven't gone belly-up, but it doesn't look good.
    Last edited by tenna; 09-16-2009 at 01:51 PM.

update on outage

I was too late for an edit so here's the latest:

Update: I did find an admin tel on WHOIS - my mistake earlier.
    I called and talked to Cameron (admin) and he said he's working on it and that cubichost didn't go belly up.
    It scared me since I've rarely seen a host completely disappear that suddenly.
    He sounded helpful and upbeat regarding a quick resolution, so maybe things will workout OK.
    Thanks for the input from all who responded.

Quote Originally Posted by Ore Stone Radio View Post
    * ns2.cubichost.org returned (SERVFAIL)
    * ns1.cubichost.org returned (SERVFAIL)
    Looks like their nameserver(s) failed. Looks as if they have a single server for both nameservers, so no redundancy there

Good point

Good point JulesR. I haven't had time to look into that, but that's a good reminder about DNS setup. It's easy to ignore .... until one DNS goes down.

Update: I just went back and looked at my end of DNS setup and when my account was setup a short time ago there were 2 name servers specified (at least in theory). Gotta go see what that's all about.
    Last edited by tenna; 09-16-2009 at 03:57 PM.

One of their reps was very active on here within the last week or so. I'm surprised they haven't come along and responded to this thread.

Dave

dns server in the same location... fail.

Quote Originally Posted by tenna View Post
    Update: I just went back and looked at my end of DNS setup and when my account was setup a short time ago there were 2 name servers specified (at least in theory). Gotta go see what that's all about.
    They could still be on the same server though...
    Ore Stone Radio
    Playing the best unsigned new music 24 hours a day
    Musicians - Visit our forums to submit your music for airplay

www.orestoneradio.com an Ore Stone Music Ltd. Company

Quote Originally Posted by nerdie View Post
    dns server in the same location... fail.
    Speaking only of the dns for the host itself, it is not necessarily a "fail" in any usable sense.

If there is only 1 location, and the dns is only in that location, then it becomes a "does not matter anyways" type of situation.

If the location gets cutoff from the world, it will not matter if you can get the right ip address because you're not going to get there anyways.
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

Granted it does take some time to re-propagate the IP's out to the DNS, so technically two or more geographically dispersed DNS servers is the best setup no matter what. For maximum uptime when your server is up that is.

Latest..

It's still down from my location, but I guess it could be DNS changes propagating. When I spoke to their guy this morning he said that it caught him by surprise, but he was on it already at that time. I just hope that the whole data center wasn't shut down as a spam haven or such. I haven't been with Cubichost long, but as far as I remember the data center was located in Miami, in case that location rings a bell for anyone. Maybe someone chopped Florida in half from east-to-west with a backhoe.

They are still down?

no joy yet..

Well, here it is the end of the second (or more?) day of total outage and still no sign of cubichost that I can find. I PMed Gray and asked him to post an explanation of what's happening, but if it's here I haven't seen it. I also asked him to email hosting customers and tell them what's going on. Nothing received by me. I'm on the verge of getting a bit perturbed, and this is not good. Anyone else being affected by this outage, or am I the only cubichost "customer".

I think you might be their only customer ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by nerdie View Post
    I think you might be their only customer ;-)
    [PS ALL MY USERS On my forum are crying to me saying the site is down.. ] LOL Cubichost u guys gota get back up!!
    No, I am there customer too, they have been down for almost 3 days now, i am very disapointed in what happen and hope my Files are still safe... =]

I Still love them but unfortunately not everyone is perfect. They had a DATA Center failure so I guess that could happen to anyone..

Man Atleast im on the cheap plan, i feel bad for the other customers! lol

We had some server issues on our Dual AMD Opteron 246, which housed the cubichost.org VPS. This hosts our cubichost.org website (as well as billing and customer support), as well as shared and reseller hosting (cpanel).

I copied the raw VPS files (tarred the directory, and scp it to another server with more power, RAM, and disk space). In the process of recovering the user accounts and files right now (copying all home directories, /etc/shadow etc). This could take the next few hours to complete properly.

We are sorry about all inconvenience this entails. Glad to announce that all VPS users were not affected. Only shared and reseller hosting (which is still in no way acceptable by our standards) and users looking for support.

We are sorry it took so long, the problem was not so easy to diagnose in why the server kept crashing. Thankfully the folks at the datacenter were able to move the hard drive to another server so I could copy everything we need off it.

Please stay tuned.

status is worth a lot

Thanks CC353 for the status report. In this case, where even the CH presence itself disappeared, and suddenly nothing at all would resolve on name servers (3 days), my main concern was that CH might not come back up. If that had been the case and we hadn't been notified, then we could have wasted a week or more before finding another host. Simply knowing what's going on helps a lot, especially after 3 days of outage. I wouldn't have even started this thread if a post had been initiated by CH keeping customers informed. I realize that it can be hard when you're working frantically to find and fix the problem (been there many times), but my suggestion is that you (in future) at least least let customers know that you're actively working on the problem by a quick posting now and then, and/or an email. BTW, I've seen many companies disappear overnight like that - with no warning to customers. In fact, that's often the preferred way to do it, so I don't feel bad about sounding an alarm. I had a buyer thinking of purchasing one domain I have on CH, so this certainly got his attention. Thanks, again and I hope you'll take a few minutes each day to update us during this outage.

Quote Originally Posted by ccc353 View Post
    We had some server issues on our Dual AMD Opteron 246, which housed the cubichost.org VPS. This hosts our cubichost.org website (as well as billing and customer support), as well as shared and reseller hosting (cpanel).

I copied the raw VPS files (tarred the directory, and scp it to another server with more power, RAM, and disk space). In the process of recovering the user accounts and files right now (copying all home directories, /etc/shadow etc). This could take the next few hours to complete properly.

We are sorry about all inconvenience this entails. Glad to announce that all VPS users were not affected. Only shared and reseller hosting (which is still in no way acceptable by our standards) and users looking for support.

We are sorry it took so long, the problem was not so easy to diagnose in why the server kept crashing. Thankfully the folks at the datacenter were able to move the hard drive to another server so I could copy everything we need off it.

Please stay tuned.
    Rofl so ur saying Shared hosting accounts files are gone?

If so I would love to know were u live.

Why didn't you update anyone for days?

This is pissing me off, still down 4days now. I am at school posting. [How worried i AM]

I am really worried God Please help these people!
    Last edited by monkuar; 09-18-2009 at 03:05 PM.

I even Posted here cause I Thought they were epic, I still think so, I am just mad, lol

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=887152

My full review, but now my Review is a little short, But I still have faith in them!!
    EDIT: SORRY FOR DOUBLE POST

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast