Question Questions from someone TOTALLY ignorant

I don't even understand totally what web hosting is. I have a name I'd kind of like to register, but am not sure how to go about it, and what the costs generally are, what is included, etc. I looked at Register.com but really need to educate myself a bit before I do this.

Can you people please help me understand before I do something really stupid?

Thanks.

alice

What exactly do you want to know?

Webhosting... you create HTML pages, put them on a server so that everybody in the world can see them. If you get your own domain, you choose the name under which people will see those pages.
    Providing YOUR Internet Action!

www.addaction.net

When you have a website, it has to be located somewhere so that people can see it. The internet uses numbers like 123.34.112.34 as IP addresses (Internet Protocol) to where computers are. People can't remember those numbers so they have name registers that keep track of what names == what IP addresses.

Your web host will have their computer located at one of those IP addresses and you will put it in at your registry so that when someone types in http://yoursitename.com it will look up your current IP and point their browser to your web host.

If you have a name that you definitely want and don't want anyone to take, then you might want to get it. If you're just thinking about getting one, maybe just wait so you can put your IP address when you find a host.

You also might want to start making your website at home while you research good hosts. Do NOT go with a host because they are the cheapest. You will probably need a little more help than most people out there for a little while, so you need to go with someone who has good customer support.

When you're ready to post your site, sign up with a host and your name (it will take 1-4 days or so for the database to let the Internet know that yoursitename == your IP address) and then start publishing your site. Some funtionality may not work until it's actually on a server.

Do some searches here for hosts, and then maybe post in the request forum. Then research everyone before you decide.

Feel free to post questions in the other forums for related topics as well.
    Learn survival/prepper information from a combat veteran at Graywolf Survival

So I can register a name before I decide on a web host?

When you register a name, you are not committing at the same time to that company as your web host?

Thanks.

alice

mostly no. a registrar like http://godaddy.com or http://directnic.com does both, but you can certainly point your website to another nameserver than theirs. There are a few that keep you locked in. Just be careful first.
    Learn survival/prepper information from a combat veteran at Graywolf Survival

I looked at Register.com but really need to educate myself a bit before I do this.
    There are quite a few companies that can offer you the same for much less than register.com

I'd have to second hostjet's comment above. It's not that I've used Register.com, just that I've used others that provide more services for less (with good support, etc.), and that's hard to argue with.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

Chicken

>Chicken: ... not that I've used Register.com ...

Well, I have used Register.com myself; actually, I have used many registrars over the past 6 years. And I can tell you that Register.com is DEFINITELY better than NetSol ... and ONLY better than NetSol ...
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Here are the typical steps for getting your site up:

1. Create the site. You can code by hand (with notepad or Homesite, etc.), or use a WYSIWIG (What-you-see-is-what-you-get) program like Dreamweaver to create the code for your webpages. Most webpages have image files 'embedded' in them, so you will need an image-creation/editing program like Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop. ("Paint," which comes with Windows, really won't cut it.) If you have no site, then there's no point in getting a web host, because you'll have nothing for them to host. There's a good introductory tutorial on coding a web page here (though it's a little outdated now): http://www.glassdog.com/design-o-rama/index.shtml

2. Register a domain name. GoDaddy is among the least expensive, and from my experience is reliable. I have also used Dotster, stargateinc, Register.com, and Network Solutions, and would recommend GoDaddy for the best value. Your domain name will cost about $10 per year. Domain name registration and webhosting are totally separate things. It's generally better to register the name yourself, because that will help you avoid getting pinned down by an unsatisfactory host who may decide to hold your domain name hostage. Plus, if you don't register the domain name yourself, you won't learn how to register a domain name, and you will be less likely to learn how the domain registry works.

3. Sign up with a web host. Since you are just starting out, you should be able to get an adequate hosting plan for a few dollars per month. Avoid long-term contracts and setup fees. Your new host will provide you with information on how to upload files to your site, how to make your domain name point to your site, etc. Typically, to associate your domain name with your site, you will modify the nameservers (aka DNS servers) for the domain name that are listed with your registrar--you need your domain to use your new web host's DNS servers.

4. Enjoy. Teach yourself how to build better websites. Start using an e-mail address at your new domain (your webhost will tell you how), e.g. [email protected]. Put cool **** on your site, like pictures from your digital camera. Figure out how to rig a webcam. Link to your friends. Advocate a side to an issue. Well, just do something with your site and you'll be glad you did.