I've got to deploy a vSphere cluster for a customer. The goal is to move 15 physical servers in virtual server on 2-3 physical servers.
I just want an hit from some people which already walked thru such a setup. My approach and concept is pretty much the following.
1. Take all gears out of their boxes.
2. Rack and plug all together (Servers, SAN, FC, Switch).
3. Fire-up the SAN and switch and configure all settings, array, RAID level and present volumes to appropriate servers.
4. Fire-up the boot CD of vSphere in my server and install them, configure all settings on vSphere.
5. Install a Windows 2008 Server, install the VMI client service.
6. Create a top ressource (you name it) and add my 2-3 ESX host servers to it.
7. Provison the "physical machines" on one of my ESX.
8. Configure HA for the virtual machines.