Exclamation CirtexHosting 404 page

I just need to rant and make sure this doesn't happen again.

Out of no where CirtexHosting hijacked my 404 (default page) with their 404 spam page. Basically they uploaded their 404 page on my website. It was in a frameset, but my 404 page looks just like THIS!

I really don't appreciate this and would like to warn CirtexHosting members to check their websites for this. It's truly a very dirty deed they're doing here because its the internet we're talking about, and spam isn't well liked on the net.

I chat to their support and they acted like i contacted them for having 404 errors on my site. I clearly stated i wanted a reason to why they would do this to their customers.

And I actually gave Cirtex great reviews on sites and even recommended Cirtexhosting to friends. Why would Cirtex sneak in a hidden advertisement? Do Cirtex really think its wroth it to ruin their reputation?
    Last edited by hijacked; 09-16-2009 at 01:28 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by hijacked View Post
    I just need to rant and make sure this doesn't happen again.

Out of no where CirtexHosting hijacked my 404 (default page) with their 404 advertisement page. Basically they uploaded their 404 page on my website. It was in a frameset, but my 404 page looks just like THIS!

I really don't appreciate this and would like to warn CirtexHosting members to check their websites for this. It's truly a very dirty deed they're doing here because its the internet we're talking about, and spam isn't well liked on the net.

I chat to their support and they acted like i contacted them for having 404 errors on my site. I clearly stated i wanted a reason to why they do this to their customers.

And I actually gave Cirtex great reviews on sites and even recommended Cirtexhosting to friends. Why would Cirtex sneak in a hidden advertisement? Do Cirtex really think its wroth it to ruin their reputation?
    Cirtex isn't alone, Host Gator, 1and1, Godaddy, Yahoo, all the fat cats do it. Personally I think its wrong, but in their eyes, its free advertisement.
    #---.#---###### | Host Mist LLC - Helping People Say Hello World™
    #---.#---#--#--# || Shared, Reseller, Master Reseller, VPS, Dedicated
    ####---#--#--# }| Featuring multiple locations across the US & Germany.
    #---#---#--#--# #| Connecting the world through web hosting.
      0 Not allowed!

Lunarpages was bashed with something similar years ago and its the bad reputation that hurted them. Count this as one for Cirtex.
      0 Not allowed!

Do these advert 404 pages only appear if you do not set your own custom ones? Or are they forced upon you?
      0 Not allowed!

Hi,

I truly apologize for the inconvenience caused but we were just about to make an announcement about this as this just went live few minutes ago.

We wanted to make a creative 404 page for all of our users excluding resellers/vps/dedicated, but also to create awareness that users can have custom 404 pages.

1) The custom 404 page is placed only in user accounts without a custom 404 page previously

2) You can take the 404 page out easily by removing the 404.shtml file inside your public_html via FTP/Filemanager or

3) You can also replace it with a custom 404.shtml page or editing the existing one.

Feel free to private message me with any questions but more importantly you may also contact us for any future assistance.

Please note our intention here is not to spam our customers and this is in no way overwriting any users with an already customized 404 page, nor preventing users from creating their own 404 custom pages in anyway.

Cheers
    Last edited by Cirtex; 09-16-2009 at 01:52 AM.
    █• CirtexHosting • Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    █• LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    █• HostV VPS • Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    █• We transfer your sites over quickly! • I eat penguins for breakfast ...
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ATH-Sean View Post
    Point indeed, Perhaps your posts should be removed as they are not at any point helpful or productive to the thread in question.

I see the funny side but David honestly it is pointless.
    Some people use satire to make a point that is so obvious that satire is *required* to point out the obviousness of the situation. And it certainly is on point.

As the OP states in the opening post, he came to alert/rant, rather than pose a technical question.

In essence, a host sells a customer a blank blackboard. Is the host then free to come back in the middle of the night and scribble all over any section of the blackboard that has not been used? Even with his own chalk? Well, of course not.

A tenant rents an apartment, paints it white. Now the landlord sneaks in with his pass key and splashes the walls with hot pink just before the guests arrive for a party. Of course, this is to demonstrate to the tenant that it is possible to have an exciting and creative splash of colour on the walls. Anyone can see what's wrong with that picture. Even a judge close to retirement on a bad day. The landlord would get hung.

So, why is it that so many questionable practices rear their heads in the hosting industry?

Apologies and handwringing aside, it's completely indefensible. At least to mere mortals. But, somehow, Web 2.0 doesn't get it.

So, some finger pointing, outing, shouting and shoving is required if life is to get better.
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com
      0 Not allowed!

Vote with your wallet - if you are unhappy with the policies or practices of your provider then change providers...
      0 Not allowed!

Please note our intention here is not to spam our customers and this is in no way overwriting any users with an already customized 404 page, nor preventing users from creating their own 404 custom pages in anyway.`
    Actually your intention it was to SPAM to your customers, that's why you did it. Otherwise, what's the point of create a 404 error page with 5 times your company name and 5 links and even a promotion code on it?.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore
      0 Not allowed!

I still don't really see how the default error pages are part of anyone's particular site. If I start out a hosting company today and use a similar default error page from day one, there would be nothing to complain about, would there? It would be just Mycompany's default error page.

Now, given that history had proven that 404 error page changes are not well received by customers when the host monetizes them, I would probably notify customers (via email, or maybe just in the control panel in some easy to notice area), that in say 1 month's time, the error pages will be modified, and if they want to maintain a certain look to their account's error pages, to go ahead and set custom ones up with instructions on how to do so.

But, IMHO, it is still well within the host's right to use whatever code it sees fit for the default error pages.

Vote with your wallet - if you are unhappy with the policies or practices of your provider then change providers...
    No arguments there.
      0 Not allowed!

I still don't really see how the default error pages are part of anyone's particular site
    The default error page is the one that the web server have by "default", when you modify it, is a custom error page, also, since the error page is show in my site, is indeed part of it.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore
      0 Not allowed!

The default error page is the one that the web server have by "default", when you modify it, is a custom error page,
    There is no strict standard regarding the content of a 404 error page. As such, all error pages are "custom", be they designed by the web server developer, the hosting company, the CMS developer, or anyone else.

also, since the error page is show in my site, is indeed part of it.
    For customers who don't care about its looks and its message and as such don't customize it and make it an integral part of the site, I find the argument to be invalid. This is not about ownership, it's about people feeling that something is being taken away from them when someone is making a profit out of it.

People are not fond of any "default" look. There would be no outrage if the design would be changed to something better looking/more informative and nothing more than that. Most people don't care how the error page looks like, it's not part of their site, they don't maintain it in any way. But as soon as it is monetized and they find out about it, it becomes an issue. That's when they start to feel that it was "theirs". It's a feeling of losing something they never knew they had, that isn't even really lost (for custom error pages are still a definite possibility).

That being said, it would definitely be refreshing to see hosts changing error pages to improve their usability, and nothing more.
      0 Not allowed!

There is no strict standard regarding the content of a 404 error page. As such, all error pages are "custom", be they designed by the web server developer, the hosting company, the CMS developer, or anyone else.
    The default 404 error page of Apache is the default error page of Apache, if you change it, is a custom 404 error page.
    For customers who don't care about its looks and its message and as such don't customize it and make it an integral part of the site, I find the argument to be invalid
    Many people don't know that they can customize, many other do not care about it, that does not give any right to the host to change it. If I do not maintain my backyard, that does give the right to my landlord to do whatever he want on it just because I don't maintain it?
      0 Not allowed!

It isn`t nice to do that at all, They see it in a diffrent way to.
      0 Not allowed!

For shared customers I can see how this would be annoying and unacceptable simply based on principle. If you don't want to advertise who your host is, then I think it is wrong for them to take it upon themselves to advertise that information for you. It looks unprofessional on the part of the site where the page is located and it is unprofessional on behalf of the host to use a paying customer's site for their own promotional purposes.

If I were a reseller I would be standing on the host's front door-step with a brick in my hand - so much for 'private label'.

I think that these 404 pages make Cirtex (or any host for that matter) look desperate.

The little animals are cute though..in a 14 year old girl kind of way.
    Last edited by db09; 09-16-2009 at 11:51 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

If I do not maintain my backyard, that does give the right to my landlord to do whatever he want on it just because I don't maintain it?
    Here, if you don't work your land (arable) for a number of years in a row, you can lose your rights to it. There was also a law stating that if the original owner doesn't care about his land, and you use it for 15+ years, you become the rightful owner (I don't know if it is still in effect). But that's beside the point.

If hosts would do these changes in a not such over the top way, customers would be able to accept them, and perhaps even a link to the host's site would be OK if done discreetly enough. The matter is not ownership of those pages, it is more subtle than that.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post

For customers who don't care about its looks and its message and as such don't customize it and make it an integral part of the site, I find the argument to be invalid. This is not about ownership, it's about people feeling that something is being taken away from them when someone is making a profit out of it.

People are not fond of any "default" look. There would be no outrage if the design would be changed to something better looking/more informative and nothing more than that. Most people don't care how the error page looks like, it's not part of their site, they don't maintain it in any way. But as soon as it is monetized and they find out about it, it becomes an issue. That's when they start to feel that it was "theirs". It's a feeling of losing something they never knew they had, that isn't even really lost (for custom error pages are still a definite possibility).

That being said, it would definitely be refreshing to see hosts changing error pages to improve their usability, and nothing more.
    I don't know what your point is here but you seem confused. It isn't the fact that its my 404 page, it's the fact that they took it upon themselves to upload their file into my site.

Maintaining my backyard isnt a great example because they're no laws to maintain a site.

I could've had my home page within a folder (ie: webhostingtalk.com/home/index.html) and they couldve added my main site's home page (ie:webhostingtalk.com/index.html) with their file and it'd still be the same issue. Even if i decide not to have a homepage and i just wanted to use all sub-domains, it still doesn't give the webhost the right to alter the site.

Whats more important is what if it's something illegal? Then i'll get the blame for it as "we found the file hosted on your site so you're responsiable for it" routine.
      0 Not allowed!

They simply could have uploaded the 404 page to a central location on the server and then configured any account not using a custom 404 page to point to that file - but they made it easier for you in that you can just delete the file instead of having to change a configuration or something else. I would simply have deleted the file and moved on myself...

I'm not saying I agree with what they have done - I'm just posting my take on it.
      0 Not allowed!

Actually, I complained to Hostgator about there 404 page and they paid me $2.00 for all the hits they got on my page. Just complain for for free money.
      0 Not allowed!

Its just a place where you'd think they wouldn't try and get some advertising, but hey! Like he said, you can easily replace it.
    Garbott Ltd - Professional web development & consultancy services
    Oxford.Hosting - Prestigious shared, cloud, dedicated and gaming hosting solutions.
      0 Not allowed!

Custom 404 Error page is your last chance to salvage traffic

IMHO, all web sites should have a Custom 404 Error page. This is the last opportunity to try to salvage traffic for your web site. Mine are essentially the same as the Home (index) pages of my web sites. It's a resource that should be used by the webmaster and not the web hosting company.
      0 Not allowed!