Host claims unpaid balance, whats your opinion

I was a customer of a webhost for roughly 2 years, then in January I decided to switch to different host.

Everything went ok, until about 2 months ago, when a collecting agency sent me a letter threatening legal action unless payment is remitted immediately. So, I called the agency to find out what this is all about. A month later they sent me an invoice for January 2009, and demand payment for it.

Throughout my 2 year history at the webhost. I always paid manually either via credit card or paypal, and if I was late a day or two, I immediately got late payment notices, after which I remitted payment and all was good.

When I left the host in January, I was under the impression that everything is settled, I was never made aware of any unpaid balances. Then for the next 4 months, I did not receive any notices or late payment alerts.

Then I get contacted by collection agency 2 months ago...

I'm not really sure what to do. To be honest, I don't really know whether or not I owe them any money, as I'm not the most organized record-keeper, and quite some time has passed.

What do you think?

I think that, many host go unpaid. Plus, You pay the month ahead of you not behind you.

You should have paid in december or Early January for the hosting that you recieved in Jan. I would contact the sales Department and Find out what is up.

Quote Originally Posted by porcupine View Post
    Did you follow the hosts official cancellation policies, or just stop paying for/using your account?

Did the host provide any confirmation of your request to cancel?
    Yes, I notified them in mid-January that I would like to stop at the end of the month and my account was closed on January 31st. We went through a few emails so that everything would be closed-out smoothly.

The thing that I'm suspicious about is that during the termination process, I was never made known of any unpaid balances. Also, nobody contacted be about any unpaid balances until 5 months later, which seems bizarre as when I was with them, they sent me numerous notices when I was a day or 2 late.

Do you mind naming the host in question?

Quote Originally Posted by RichieCW View Post
    Do you mind naming the host in question?
    I would also like to know this...

If your email address that received the notifications form the host about balances/payments etc was on the domain that you had hosted, that could explain why you never got any notices.

IE:
    You paid to have abcd123.com hosted. Your email was [email protected].

You cancelled the hosting, and moved the domain to a new server. Your domains DNS record updated and your site/email was routed to the new host/server.

IF the old host did not delete your domain from their servers, your domain still existed in their DNS servers. They send you an email, their email server resolves to their DNS servers, which point to your old mail server, so the email never gets to you on your new server.

It's a common problem for hosts who have everything set up, but don't follow common DNS principles. A resolving DNS server should NEVER contain authoritative zones, because problems like this can arise.

If a host has their servers resolving to their own DNS servers, and their own DNS servers are authoritative for customer domains, that is a recipe for disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean57 View Post
    Yes, I notified them in mid-January that I would like to stop at the end of the month and my account was closed on January 31st. We went through a few emails so that everything would be closed-out smoothly.
    Well, if you kept this information (email/faxes/what have you) then I'd simply present this information to the collections agency, and state "I'm disputing the validity of this case".

While most collections agencies put on a mean/impolite face, the reality is, they have no role in determining the validity of a charge, and will simply hand this back to the company that hired them. They're not in the business of pursuing fraudulent charges after all, and if the company cannot prove that charge is legit, most collections agencies will drop the case from my (albeit limited) experience.