Burstable Billing

I'm really confused about burstable billing. I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

I'm currently with Softlayer and I have two dedicated servers with 2TB of bandwidth a month. So far this has been fine for me.

I'm getting ready to move to a third server and therefore I'm looking at colo space. The problem is that they all seem to charge by the Mbps instead of by the overall bandwidth you use.
    The bandwidth here in Austin is expensive (About $200+ per Mbps) and I have no idea how much I'd need.

Here's a sample of the last 7 days of traffic on one of my servers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bandwidth.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	15497

Any idea how much bandwidth I'd need? Also, are these colos just screwing with me? Should I be able to find a plan that charges me by overall bandwidth instead of using bustable billing?

Thanks.

Personally, I would go with 15 Mb/s then upgrade to what you need. $200+ per Mb/s is ridiculous. Especially out here in Tx. The difference between dedicated server bandwidth and colocation bandwidth, is that most dedicated server bandwidth is oversold. By that, I mean that they don't expect you to use that much, whereas colo customers are expected to use every bit of the bandwidth they buy. Have you thought about colocating elsewhere in Tx? Not in Austin?

One other thing, billing by the Mb/s isn't all bad as it does allow you to burst without paying for it under some circumstances. When you're billed by the Mb/s, unless you are capped at the amount you buy, you are billed on 95th percentile. This means that the provider takes a sample of your traffic every five minutes during a given time period (the monthly billing cycle) and then disregards the top 5%, so you could effectively burst to the maximum your connection will allow for 36 hours without getting charged overages.
    Last edited by lumbyjj; 09-15-2009 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Explain 95th
    James Lumby

Quote Originally Posted by lumbyjj View Post
    Have you thought about colocating elsewhere in Tx? Not in Austin?
    I could do Dallas or Houston. I just want to be able to drive to the location if there is an emergency and to get monthly backups.

The closer the better obviously.

What is a reasonable rate for bandwidth per Mbps?

Quote Originally Posted by nwingate View Post
    I could do Dallas or Houston. I just want to be able to drive to the location if there is an emergency and to get monthly backups.

The closer the better obviously.

What is a reasonable rate for bandwidth per Mbps?
    It depends on the bandwidth, I wouldn't pay more than $25 per Mb/s though. You can actually find it cheaper as well.
    James Lumby