Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cogent vs. Bandcon

We are nearing the end of our contract with cogent and are deciding whether to continue with them. Bandcon has recently (within a last year or so) established its presence in NYC metro area.

Who would you choose among the two? Please give your input and evaluation of the two networks.

Thanks.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

I would recommend to keep Cogent, may be with lower commit, and add bandcon if you can. We are in talks with bandcon for adding them into our mix - so I don't know their quality, but it is suppose to be good.

From marketing side also - Cogent is a well known, established in US and Europe Tier 1 provider (I know some people will start fighting with me over that statement) - so even in your signature it (Cogent) will be more effective then bandcon (hope bandcon will get offended by my statement).

BTW - I think you have a limit of 4 lines in the signature and when it wraps around it is getting into 6 lines - may want to check in that
    Professional Streaming services - http://www.tulix.com - info at tulix.com
    Double optimized - AS36820) network, best for live streaming/VoIP/gaming
    The best quality network - AS7219

No experience with the 'bandcon' BW blend myself but as a company they are legit. You might as well get your cogent via bandcon at a better rate. They resell most of the major carriers cheaper than going direct. We buy level3 (direct port) through bandcon. You might be able to get l3 cheaper than cogent on that matter.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | Fully Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Bandcon,

Check with Mike Castrogiovani @ bandcon, I believe he posts on here as well.

Bandcon over cogent any day.
    Gary Simat
    COLO@ Colocation. Perfected.
    Atlanta - Dallas - Phoenix - Weehawken - Los Angeles - Chicago
    Total Server Solutions - Servers - US Based Support - Server Management

Looks like a double post to me garysimat and wiresix... If anybody at wht will see that these guys post different opinions about the same subject, let me know I would be very surprised

Is Spudstr also part of the same team?

Now seriously - opinions are great - can you bring any justifications for your opinion? For us, we probably will have both providers, but for guys who haveto make a choice - probably reasons are more important than "go with Bandcon" schnell... (for those who doesn't know schnell means "quickly" in German)

Two seperate opinions from two seperate people. We just both have the same opinion on this topic apparently.

Justification comes from experience of use. I did have cogent for a while, however the insane routes they offer, random latency with no ETA of repair and lack of any type of caring when an issue presents itself speak for itself. You also have the issues with cogent being depeered several times by various providers and then there network really goes down in the gutter. Bandcon on the other hand has a better variety not to mention a cheaper price. Cogent for some reason believes there network is worth much more then it really is. Now if they have changed anything over the last 6 months I dont know, but I wouldnt use them "without" an FCP like you utilize and have it geared only towards performance. I would also not announce prefixes to them as I wouldn't want inbound routes from them. There are far many other decent providers that you can utilize as well for less or equal to their price point. Now the only thing I do not like about bandcon in Atlanta is that they are in Switch & data in Telx and well lets just say its not cheap to get to them which totally kills there cost per meg.
    Gary Simat

Now I value your input very much (I am being serious), especially part about bandcon, since we didn't get to the point of bring fiber to us yet and your input is important.

Thank you - hope others will follow your great example for supporting their opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by garysimat View Post
    Two seperate opinions from two seperate people. We just both have the same opinion on this topic apparently.

Justification comes from experience of use. I did have cogent for a while, however the insane routes they offer, random latency with no ETA of repair and lack of any type of caring when an issue presents itself speak for itself. You also have the issues with cogent being depeered several times by various providers and then there network really goes down in the gutter. Bandcon on the other hand has a better variety not to mention a cheaper price. Cogent for some reason believes there network is worth much more then it really is. Now if they have changed anything over the last 6 months I dont know, but I wouldnt use them "without" an FCP like you utilize and have it geared only towards performance. I would also not announce prefixes to them as I wouldn't want inbound routes from them. There are far many other decent providers that you can utilize as well for less or equal to their price point. Now the only thing I do not like about bandcon in Atlanta is that they are in Switch & data in Telx and well lets just say its not cheap to get to them which totally kills there cost per meg.

Quote Originally Posted by tulix View Post
    Looks like a double post to me garysimat and wiresix... If anybody at wht will see that these guys post different opinions about the same subject, let me know I would be very surprised

Now seriously - opinions are great - can you bring any justifications for your opinion? For us, we probably will have both providers, but for guys who haveto make a choice - probably reasons are more important than "go with Bandcon" schnell... (for those who doesn't know schnell means "quickly" in German)
    I think you'll find the opinion of any *former* cogent customer to be relatively the same, we're all *former* for a reason, if we had a better experience with them they would still be a carrier and we'd probably have a slightly better opinion of them.

I will say that for you, Bandcon might not be the best option given the cost of xconnects to reach them. They've chosen to place themselves in S&D in 56 Marietta which wants to charge arms & legs for xconnects, so you have to go from your suite to 55 MMR, 55 MMR to 56 MMR, 56 MMR to S&D. Quite a long hop when there are many other carriers available with far less xconnects.

That is pretty much the only reason they aren't in our network today.

Looks like a double post again

Just Gary's post was nicer...

bandcon

They are reasonable and have some better routes than cogent.

Thanks for the assumption, but if you did your homework you would see that we have a circuit with cogent and no with bandcon, however with that beingsaid ands tuck in contracts with cogent we still feel bandcon is the bettr opion for any people. Based on personal preference. We mght be turning up a bandcn circuit in the near future.

I'd personally pick a large aggregator over a a single carrier like cogent/etc due to them more/less reselling level3/globix/whoever.

I have never been to atlanta nor do we even have ny equipment anywhere near atlanta. Nor have I ever met wiresix or garysimat

Thanks for all the replies.

We got our cogent at $6/Mbps (100 Mbps commit on GigE). This is with three year contract with the option to cancel after a year. Believing that bandwidth will not be at $6/Mbps three years down the road, I am exercising our option to cancel after the first year.

What pricing should I expect for bandcon? Feel free to PM me if you do not wish to disclose prices.

As for cross connects, they are in Equinix NY1 (Newark) and we are in Equinix NY2 (Secaucus). Thus, we have to do this through IBX Link, which adds roughly ~$200-$300/month over cross connect to other carries in NY2 (e.g., cogent). So pricing wise, bandcon would be more expensive per Mbps, at least at the commit level we try to have.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!

Dave,

Give me a call tomorrow and I will share where some of the different prices on bandwidth should be at.
    Jordan Jacobs | VP, Products|SingleHop| JJ @SingleHop.com
    Managed Dedicated Servers | Bare-Metal Servers | Cloud Services

We've been using both Bandcon and Cogent along with other providers, and have a few servers connected directly to Cogent network.
    We haven't had any problems with Cogent, however the main asset of Bandcon is the a mixture of providers (Level3, Global Crossing)they use for their own network.
    At the moment the minus of Bandcon for us is that we can't get a single 10Gbs link, only 10x1Gbs link, which isn'tthe best option for us both technically and financially.
    It's easier to get good prices from Bandcon than from a Tier1 provider

Summing up, I'd recommend to go for a mix of providers.

I wonder if the ten gig line is an issue with your particular location or they don't do ten gig anywhere?
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | Fully Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    I wonder if the ten gig line is an issue with your particular location or they don't do ten gig anywhere?
    interesting, I know I just got quoted a 10G circuit here in ashburn. Did they give you a option for a setup? or maybe the gear they have at that location can't handle additional 10g ? seems odd none the less.

We are in North Bergen, NJ, they can offer 10G circuit only in 111th Ave and making the connect at S&D's Meet-me-room makes the price rather expensive.

We have used cogent for years and currently we use bandcon

By far service wise bandcon is the way to go they have decent peering and a solid network even up here in Canada

We use a blend of their network not a direct resale to another carrier
    Moxie Colo Inc Has been Sold to Secure Access Colo known on WHT as SecureDataCenters
    New ownership better Service DC1 100% Sold out DC2 Due online July 2010

Hey dave hit me up there is another option for ya ( i also have a cage in NY2)
    ProRack.com
    AmericanDataCenter.com
    NY2 Equinix Secaucus NJ

Since ProRack decided to resurrect thsi old already thread I've looked at the network maps for both companies. I think both are very good companies - we benn using Cogent for many years, haven't used bandcon, but I don't think we are comparing apples to apples. See:
    http://bandcon.com/network_map.php
    http://www.cogentco.com/us/network_map.php

You really cannot assume a networks reliability nor quality based on there network maps.
    Gary Simat

Quote Originally Posted by garysimat View Post
    You really cannot assume a networks reliability nor quality based on there network maps.
    You are right, as long as you understand that you are not comparing apples to apples, then your statement is correct, but then it doesn't make sense at all. If you need a line and this (multiple) line(s) even don't exist - how would you compare quality? Good or bad quality of line vs non-existent line? And if you are talking about peering, then it is again - not apples to apples comparison.

I am here not to argue, but it looks like we are trying to compare a network with much smaller footprint with much larger capacity/footprint.
    I would choose:
    1. Cogent
    2. Cogent and Bandcon

I think this was my recommendation in one of my previous posts, lower Cogent commit and to add bandcon - anybody would recommend otherwise?

Quote Originally Posted by ProRack View Post
    Hey dave hit me up there is another option for ya ( i also have a cage in NY2)
    Ah ... a bit too late We've decided to replace cogent with bandcon. Circuit turn up in few days, I hope.

But feel free to PM me about this other option. I am curious

Quote Originally Posted by FHDave View Post
    Ah ... a bit too late We've decided to replace cogent with bandcon. Circuit turn up in few days, I hope.

But feel free to PM me about this other option. I am curious
    Dave,

It would be great for an update once you've been up and running on Bandcon for awhile.

Will do ...

Did you get a good pricing per Mb/s?

I bet you can get Bandcon cheaper than Cogent, and on a shorter contract. if you are single homed, Bandcon is a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    I bet you can get Bandcon cheaper than Cogent, and on a shorter contract. if you are single homed, Bandcon is a no brainer.
    Of course you can get Bandcon cheaper on shorter terms, they were publicly advertising $2/meg last month

Quote Originally Posted by WireSix View Post
    Of course you can get Bandcon cheaper on shorter terms, they were publicly advertising $2/meg last month
    Really, I've missed that - at WHT?

Quote Originally Posted by Spudstr View Post
    Just remember, all things considered you get what you pay for.

While I like bandcon I would not use them solely.
    I think that can be said for nearly any provider. Having been small and single-homed in the past. I look back and think how lucky we were in those early years being single-homed.

I think that can be said for nearly any provider. Having been small and single-homed in the past. I look back and think how lucky we were in those early years being single-homed.
    I hope you are not referring to be a single homed in a cage.

We solved this problem in 1996 (multi-homing) - sorry missed those "early years being single-homed"

We solved this problem in 1996 (multi-homing) - sorry missed those "early years being single-homed"
    Not to nit pick, but the images on your site with your 6500 show a single 3bxl and you say you have 10G circuits but I see no WS-X6704 cards.

I am, in our early stages we had a single gig-e from our colo provider, grew up form there to multi 10g and g's and a metro fiber ring linking our facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudstr View Post
    Not to nit pick, but the images on your site with your 6500 show a single 3bxl and you say you have 10G circuits but I see no WS-X6704 cards.
    They are not my 6500 - they are wiresix'es with his metro ring hanging on them

Excuse me? Even if those were my routers, which they are not, I wouldn't allow some other provider to feature them on their websites.

(back to cogent vs bandcon)

Than why do you have a picture of someone else's equipment and state it is yours on your website? Customer privacy? I don't know the story but I would be pissed if someone was using our equipment and claiming it to be theirs or vice versa.

I am, in our early stages we had a single gig-e from our colo provider, grew up form there to multi 10g and g's and a metro fiber ring linking our facilities.
    I prefer do not ask any more questions
    I hope somebody else will ask about "facilities"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast